Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Steeveeo

Which sound is best? (Space Ship death sounds ^_^)

Yo, back again with another question for my Doom mod. (Yeah, as obvious from this posts, there will be a big explosion in space)

Which of these 4 stress creak sounds are the best for right before a huge spacship would blow up?

http://savefile.com/projects/808533419

I've already got a set of explosion sounds and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to use, but I might be back with those too...

BTW, I dont care if sound doesnt travel in space, these are just for emphasis and effect.

Any feedback is appreciated.

(Note: I wasnt sure what Doom subforum to put this in. Mods please move if you see fit)

EDIT: Changed title and some stuff in the post

Ok, I KNOW I am getting downloads on this! (Savefile has a Download Counter). I am up to 19 DLs on each one, yet nobody has responded.

C'mon guys! Me and my indecisive mind need a bit of help here.

I thought the last 2 sounded more like musical notes than creaking steel. #4 in particular sounds a bit like a fog horn with steely overtones.

I don't want to be boring, but in space there's no sound because there's no air. Unless of course you hear the sound from inside the ship.
Then again, it's a video game, and movies also do this. Should be very boring, odd, and even unrealistic not to use a sound.

About the sounds, I share Enjay's opinion.

@Vegeta: I already touched upon that subject...

Steeveeo said:

BTW, I dont care if sound doesnt travel in space, these are just for emphasis and effect.

Anyway, it is quite hard to find good, free, ship death sounds these days, so they cant all be winners.

The problem with all this is that these are the only ones I can find that sound a bit good, so Im not asking about how they sound, Im asking which ones the best for the job!

Steeveeo said:

so Im not asking about how they sound, Im asking which ones the best for the job!

Well, not the last 2 then. ;)

Steeveeo said:

gee...that helps...[/sarcasm]

Well, you asked which ones (plural) were best. Given that I said not the last two, that leaves the first two - ie the first two are the best ones. I even explained why in my previous post - the last two don't sound much like they are meant to IMO. How much more help do want? At least it's more than most of the other 19 people dowloading have given you. ;)

lol well, my stupid single quote key is being slow (sometimes not registering at all)

Notice there is no "are" in that sentence, it was supposed to be read as "Which one is best for the job"

Ah right, I get it now. :)

Are these sounds only going to be used once, or will they be heard multiple times? If multiple (and assuming Zdoom) you could use them all and randomise which on gets played using SNDINFO.

If not, I think #1 is probably best. #2 sounds a bit like an animal that has been slowed down except for the secondary clunk at the end, which is quite good.

One big ship, one big death (maybe).

#2 to me sounds more like the aftercreaks of charred wreckage.

Oh wait, I got some good ones that sound distant (slow eerie fadein and echo out).

Click the link again, I've got some new ones (for wreckage).

Im probably going to have the player in some kind of a fighter/spacesuit/something flying around the wreckage looking for a certain item (like a data disk).

Also, do any of those sound like good death sounds?

(NOTE: 2 and 8 sound almost exactly alike, but 8 is louder than 2)

Vegeta said:

I don't want to be boring, but in space there's no sound because there's no air.

Lucas's Law has nullified this theory.