Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

Best Demo in IWAD

Hi, I 'd like to ask you what demo inside original IWAD you think is the best.
I vote demo1 of PLUTONIA (MAP17). When I see this I have the feeling that it was recorded with a slow montion modified exe, it's really fast!

Some older versions of DOOM have some cool stuff among the demos, such as the Player blowing himself up with the Rocket launcher as a Lost soul rams into him, DeathMatch mode recordings, and Cooperative mode recordings. Among the final versions I could choose the one taking place in E2M2 where Romero gets the Berserk pack and punches stuff.

jval said:
When I see this I have the feeling that it was recorded with a slow montion modified exe,

Slow motion allows more precision and time to think. The demo merely displays high mouse sensitivity, from what I see.

I liked the co-op demo in the shareware version, the one that plays on E1M5. As there are three demos, I think id should recorded with the three original game modes (single, co-op, dm). That'd be cool, even if the players are only named as Indigo, Green, Brown, and Red, it'd be cool to see id guys fragging each other.
Imagine the Casali Brothers playing co-op in Plutonia, cool!
The problem is that on these situations the game only ends if you exit the level, still you could set an "artificial" end like that co-op demo from the shareware.

Quasar said:

Slow motion EXE's didn't exist when Plutonia was made, so that's really unlikely.

I believe there were some slowmotion hacks available at this time.

My favorite IWAD demo would have to be a single-player demo on e1m5, from I think it was the 0.99 shareware release. Most of it takes place in the dark final room, with Romero alternately hunting down imps and soldiers and being hunted by them. The lights flicker, fireballs flash out of nowhere, health dwindles, and he'll turn a blind corner only to be confronted by a demon in his face, etc. I remember watching this demo at a swap meet sometime in 1994 and just instantly being hooked on the atmosphere of the game.

Quasar said:

Slow motion EXE's didn't exist when Plutonia was made, so that's really unlikely.

But id-software could make a special built with a little change to I_GetTime() function...

I'm fairly sure the Plutonia IWAD demos were all recorded by Dario Casali, so id wouldn't have been involved.

I haven't actually watched the demos in question before though. You're right, those are some jerky turns. It's probably high mouse sensitivity as the jerkiness seems constant throughout the run.

Yeah I guess you could run with a cycle-eating TSR like Mo' Slow. In fact I remember now that Lee Killough did exactly that in order to get highly accurate frame durations for the Pre-Beta objects (I think it would have been easier on him to look for the mobjinfo and frame tables in the executable though...)

I liked the demo in ultimate doom, E1M5 phobos lab. It actually shows you a secret. In doom legacy you could put a command in like god mode during the demo, so when the player was supposed to die, they would just stand there instead. GZDoom/ZDoom doesn't seem to play demo's.