Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

9/11/73 NEVER FORGAT

Go Augusto!

Oh, nevermind, 9/11/01, that's the one that everyone remembers (unless you're from Chile).

So, yeah, what are your thoughts after all these years? Where were you when you heard the news? I was in school. Went to Social Studies and there was live footage of the tower burning from the first plane hit. I was like "hmm, I'm gonna go back to my other class" and I went there. Watched the second plane hit the second tower live. I also watched them collapse when I was at home. Yeah. It was pretty terrible to watch, but now I can watch vids of the jumpers all day long and not be phased, sadly. :-/

Just share your thoughts about this.

NO CONSPIRACY THEORIES IN THIS THREAD.

Naked Snake said:

So, yeah, what are your thoughts after all these years?

That people die, and objectively it's no different from other (innocent) people dying anywhere else in the world. A tragedy, yes, but considering it as a greater tragedy than any other case where a lot of people have died is hypocrisy. And since I have no personal connection to any of the WTC victims, my subjective opinion equals my objective opinion.

But I'm not meaning to belittle the loss of people in the attack, I'm just saying that yelling "NEVER FORGET" is rather hypocritical when, in comparasion, people have already forgot about the Black death from the middle ages despite that a lot more people died back then. So, err, grief for your losses if you had any, but still, get real.

George of the jungle, watch out for that building.... Ohhh noo! When I saw that happen I said oh shit, here we go! There was nothing I could do about it so I had a beer and watched the chaos. Ain't war hell!

Wow, this is retarded. Do you really have to belittle Chileans and provide a reactionary and paranoid rant against "conspiracy theories" to talk about this subject?

Arioch said:
say what

I guess BBG's edit makes my reply less applicable now, though ironically I losered Nightmare Doom the other day, and I doubt anyone else would start anything like that here nowadays.

9/11/1893

Swami Vivekananda kicks Christian ass at the world Parliament of Religions in Chicago at the Columbian Exposition.

myk said:

I guess BBG's edit makes my reply less applicable now, though ironically I losered Nightmare Doom the other day, and I doubt anyone else would start anything like that here nowadays.

Also, I don't see how I belittled Chileans. After all, they're more likely to associate 9/11 with Augusto Pinochet's reign of terror than Americans are.

But ok, to all the Chileans out there, I apologize.

Ok, back on topic : 30% of Americans cannot name either the DAY, MONTH or YEAR of 9/11 or a multitude of the three. 30% Holy fuck.

Jodwin said:

That people die, and objectively it's no different from other (innocent) people dying anywhere else in the world. A tragedy, yes, but considering it as a greater tragedy than any other case where a lot of people have died is hypocrisy. And since I have no personal connection to any of the WTC victims, my subjective opinion equals my objective opinion.[/b]

This pretty much. I didn't care a whole lot 6 years ago and certainly not much now. It's very easy to feel this way being so far removed from the events and people short of 10 second video clips on the tv news. That, and i was literaly asleep when this took place so I wasn't glued to the tv to watch as the things and drama "unfolded" so to speak.

Hurricane Katrina destroyed a whole city and everybody pretty much already forgot about that. And about the ongoing dismal response of the government to the crisis.

Quasar said:

Hurricane Katrina destroyed a whole city and everybody pretty much already forgot about that. And about the ongoing dismal response of the government to the crisis.

Yeah, but people like me that are far away from such situations look at it as like "you built your city next to a hurricane zone, you paid the price."

The levee was dry indeed.

I remember the first thing that popped into my head was "well, can't say I wasn't expecting that what with the US's foreign policy".

9/11/1857 NEVAR FORGET the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Let's get those goddamn Mormon terrists.

I don't usually celebrate holidays that didn't exist in the 20th century. I may get a few drinks later and wear my plastic FDNY hat and my Osama Claus tie, considering the bartender knows how to make a Martyr and a Hijacker and not fuck them up because he always runs out of ice.

Or maybe I'll call my local 911 responder and wish her a happy 911 day because it's her job and all.

I didn't even hear about it for more than a week. I went to town to hoard me up some food and saw some newspapers. The only thing I felt was pride at how much of a recluse I had become.

Quasar said:

The two events are not comparable.

Where was I? I got home from work to be told by my mother in law (who was looking after my kids) "There's been a 'plane crash in America, or something". I switched on the TV and saw quite a bit more than "a 'plane crash or something".

What were my thoughts? Almost instantly I thought "Oh shit, America is going to make someone pay".

My thoughts after all these years? Various...

George Bush's crusade has made people all over the world pay. We have been stupid enough to crusade alongside him.

Other, bigger, disasters have come and gone but this one is somehow "more important" even with a relatively low bodycount compared to some of the others.

All of our freedoms have been curtailed by an over-inflated fear of terrorism.

The only positive thing (if you can call it that) was that America finally got woken up to what terrorism is all about and one of the offshoots of that was it becoming increasingly difficult for American organisations to fund terrorism in the UK. I specifically refer to the years and years of funding from American organisations that was used to finance the IRA who planted bombs in pubs, post offices, shopping centres and carried out assassinations, mortar attacks and all sorts of other activities for a very long time killing hundreds of people - all enabled by American money.

It strikes me as crass that we call the London bombings "seven seven" just because the US has a "nine eleven". We've had terrorist attacks for years in this country (see above) and none were called "number number" anything.

My feeling about September 11th overall: it was a terrible thing that we are all suffering from. It was terrible but equally, it has been given far more importance than it merits and, as a result, we are all living in its shadow. It has been used for political, military and financial gain and has been used as an excuse to justify many things - a large number of which are very, very unrelated to anything practical to do with "9/11". Would an attack of similar scale on any other country still be causing such world wide repercussions? I suggest not. America is a big powerful country that has rarely been attacked and it is lashing out. It feels like Isoroku Yamamoto's unverified quote concerning Pearl Harbor "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve". Although I don't know who woke the giant, it is fair to say the giant is filled with a terrible resolve.

edit typo and clarity

6 years later I can safely say 9-11 changed my life in a not so terrible way, albeit at first depressing emotionally (nobody died on my end) and economically. In the long run, I was exposed to a lot more things that white kids in private school, and I feel like a more social person.

I was actually in bed when it happened, my mother woke me up and told me to check the news. I just walked into the TV room, when BLAM, I saw the second plane hit. I was young at the time, bus didnt come till like, 9 AM (Pacific time), so I, unfortunately, got to see both towers go and hear about the pentagon. Flight 93 crashed during my first block and every teacher already had the news on.

Years later, we had to watch an entire thing on 9/11 (every available video and a bunch of documentary stuff).

I was in school when it happened, first mentioned in my lit class. Then they brought the school body in the gym and said that two planes hit the towers, and they are still standing but the extent of the damage was unknown. They made it sound like some dumbass couldent coordnate a continental flight, rather than a terrorist attack. When I got and saw the vids it was pretty shocking.

Before I went to class today they were listing the names of the deceased on the news for the yearly memorial. It's sad. As bad as it sounds, but since I didn't loose anyone in the whole thing I'm not phased by it.

I wish I had some emotional connection to 9/11, but I simply don't.
All I care about is that Kanye West's Graduation dropped today.
But back on topic, if you remove the fact that people died, and ignore the terrorism aspect, it was pretty cool to watch.
Um, don't take that the wrong way.

yomoneyboat said:

All I care about is that Kanye West's Graduation dropped today.

That's unfortunate. Graduation was really subpar. Granted I was never a huge fan of Kanye's to begin with, but both of the first two albums were way better.

yomoneyboat said:

But back on topic, if you remove the fact that people died, and ignore the terrorism aspect, it was pretty cool to watch.
Um, don't take that the wrong way.

Strangely, that proves true. Maybe its just from all the action movies with huge explosions we see every day, or maybe its just a primal fascination with fire that keeps us from looking away when we see videos of it.

Come to think of it, if it were an action flick, it would be pretty awesome. But in reality, its a reminder of how vunerable we actually are.

I guess the level of awesome is relative to the situation...

(I mean no disrespect to the families who lost loved ones on that day)

I have to agree that I have no personal connection to it, even though I was deeply saddened when I first heard it happened. I was 16 at the time. However, after seeing the fucking thing replaying on every station for the next week or two, I got completely desensitized to it and just didn't give a shit. It sounds horrible to say, but being bombarded with those same videos and pictures and inane commentaries day in and day out didn't help the situation at all. It's also sad to see how many people came together those first few days and the general feeling of goodwill and how quickly it all evaporated. Now, all we have left is empty vengeance.

I really don't think any of us will forget, but the emotional impact is gone for most of us, except those who it really affected.