Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cwy

Cool ideas for a Doom I/II map

Don't know if these have been done before. Both scenarios have you race against time:

(1) You have only a pistol and you are in a large room with multiple cyberdemons. The room's ceiling is a gigantic crusher that is descending. You need to dodge the missiles from the cyberdemons and wait for the crusher to come down and kill them. Since the cyberdemons are much taller than you, the crusher will not kill you immediately, but it will when the cyberdemons die. So you need to find an exit!

(2) Similar to the start of Doom II's "Barrels o' Fun" level, you try to run away from exploding barrels near you. You need to go through multiple rooms (not just 1 or 2 rooms in Barrels o' Fun) trying not to be killed by the explosives. Corridors are intertwined, so the exploding barrels may come at you in more than one direction!

If done correctly, the second one could be a rather entertaining and enjoyable distraction, like escaping an exploding base or something. However the second one just sounds like an annoying amateur-map. It might be fun for a little bit, but it's still just so simple that it wouldn't make a great level. Now barrel-escape might be fun.

cwy said:

(1) You have only a pistol and you are in a large room with multiple cyberdemons. The room's ceiling is a gigantic crusher that is descending. You need to dodge the missiles from the cyberdemons and wait for the crusher to come down and kill them. Since the cyberdemons are much taller than you, the crusher will not kill you immediately, but it will when the cyberdemons die. So you need to find an exit!

pie only without the crusher... by the way not very bad like ideas....

Use3D said:

Why not just make this stuff instead of talking about it.

I used DeeP 10 years ago and I tried making a map with the exploding barrels, but it was hard to guarantee the barrels would always explode when it should to achieve that "domino effect"...

Thwe second idea reminds me of two levels, which aren't equivalent to the idea but share some characteristics. One is level 28 in Scythe, where you'll blow up if you don't reach the exit in time. It uses a voodoo doll instead of throughing the Barrels at the Player directly, though. The other is the legendary Barrel wad.

myk said:

Thwe second idea reminds me of two levels, which aren't equivalent to the idea but share some characteristics. One is level 28 in Scythe, where you'll blow up if you don't reach the exit in time. It uses a voodoo doll instead of throughing the Barrels at the Player directly, though. The other is the legendary Barrel wad.

Yeah isen't it called "Run From It" or something? I remember the first time I played that... I just thought it was another level, and suddenly I just died from... nothing. I thought "OK, where are the stealth monsters" :P

BoldEnglishman said:

Yeah isen't it called "Run From It" or something? I remember the first time I played that... I just thought it was another level, and suddenly I just died from... nothing. I thought "OK, where are the stealth monsters" :P

Yes, it is. And I've only ever once made it through that map, but I don't think it counts because it was just my dead body sliding over the exit line.

Ryathaen said:

And I've only ever once made it through that map, but I don't think it counts because it was just my dead body sliding over the exit line.

Reminds me of the last time I tried to complete KDiZD. I was fighting the very last boss, and just as I kill the boss, one of the Lost Souls kills me. In a normal doom game, I would of won, but unfortunately, the player still has to walk through the gate after killing the boss :/ how much closer could you get without completing the game outright ;)

BoldEnglishman said:

Reminds me of the last time I tried to complete KDiZD. I was fighting the very last boss, and just as I kill the boss, one of the Lost Souls kills me. In a normal doom game, I would of won, but unfortunately, the player still has to walk through the gate after killing the boss :/ how much closer could you get without completing the game outright ;)

With a bit of luck, i hit a lost soul close up with a rockt launcher when I had 3% health. It killed me, but I slid over the finish line. That's how I completed KDiZD, but I would consider it luck more than anything.