• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eugene

Memento Mori II demos [-complevel 2]

DSDA page aka mm2

old mod edit:

Spoiler

[MOD EDIT: Post Memento Mori II demos here (-complevel 2 recommended) unless they are vanilla demos for Compet~n.]

Since C-N incoming is dead I've decided post fourteen MM2 UV runs here. Don't expect superb quality but some new routes, shortcuts and jumps along with demos for speedrunless levels. Sending pack to Doug now.

Edited by Maribo

That does indeed sound very interesting. :)

People are more than welcome to use this forum as a compet-n "anteroom" while we wait for the blockage in /incoming to be resolved by an update (assuming there will be one).

Memento Mori 2 Map14 - seems like this is a very unpopular one for speeding. At least judging by Anthony Soto's amusing ranting in m214-504.zip it is. Interesting tricks in the route though.

At the risk of making it even more unpopular, I found three glides for it. I'm not going to dedicate the rest of my life to recording a Compet-N entry, but definitely worth a NoMo:- m214m128.zip

I found that all these glide tricks somehow depends on the machine you have. At least on my P400Mhz under W98 I am doing them constantly and easily. On my P900 under winXP I have 10times more troubles even with the glide on KS map05, that I supposed it's very easy. But now I understand why Method said to me that he hates this "easy" glide so much :-)
What do you think could be some truth on it?

If it really is like you said, the only thing I can think of is that probably under XP there is a bit different mouse or keyboard control. If it was the difference in engine behaviour then a demo recorded under win98 would have a high chance of desyncing under XP.

cack_handed said:
Memento Mori 2 Map14 - seems like this is a very unpopular one for speeding. At least judging by Anthony Soto's amusing ranting in m214-504.zip it is. Interesting tricks in the route though.

It must have messed with his head at least a bit, seeing he got the level number wrong in the text file name. I do like longer, complex speeds, though. The problem is that its harder to judge what's really a good run since many things can go wrong, and it's expected that at least some will go wrong, unless you're very lucky or spent exorbitant amounts of time on the run, so you generally have the impression that it could be improved.

Gusta said:

I found that all these glide tricks somehow depends on the machine you have. At least on my P400Mhz under W98 I am doing them constantly and easily. On my P900 under winXP I have 10times more troubles even with the glide on KS map05, that I supposed it's very easy. But now I understand why Method said to me that he hates this "easy" glide so much :-)
What do you think could be some truth on it?

Or maybe you're just old :)

Gusta said:

I found that all these glide tricks somehow depends on the machine you have.

I wouldn't know about that as I've always used just the one PC (300MHz Win ME). To check it out you could use LMPC to examine the pattern of GF mouse ticks in your demos to see if they really differed when you feel you're doing the same thing on different PCs but with different results.

But isn't the ks05 glide a "noskill" one anyway - just run at the gap and you get through often enough to make it not worthwhile trying any fancy mouse/keyboard techniques?

It may just be a personal feeling but I think the mouse is less accurate under winXP than under win98/2K. This would make glides harder ... ?

Well, when you made that nomo demo for m214 I was looking at it for a possible nightmare run, so I made a TAS demo of it. I did not include the glides in my demo, because I don't know how to do them, and it should be obvious what a demo would look like with them included. It would be nice to know how to do these kind of glides consistently. Btw, perhaps it would be helpful to make a utility similar to novert, but basically limiting the vertical movement to GF1 tics.

ugwad's SENS is a dos driver that allows to independently adjust vertical and horizontal mouse sensitivity.

As far as I know, there are no Memento Mori II episode runs available.
This demo may be considered a substitute episode 1 run.
It's not on Ultra-Violence, unfortunately, I'm still too weak too
perform such a movie.

It's a HMP demo recorded using Prboom 2.4.7, complevel 4.
You will find no glides nor rocket jumps in it, though I hope
it's not THAT lame. After finishing 10th level with 23:33 time
I played on, but I forgot to switch to plasma rifle in a tense
moment and I finally got killed on 21st level.

The time performance is as below:

1 :39 :39
2 :51 1:30
3 3:11 4:41
4 1:35 6:16
5 1:14 7:30
6 3:06 10:36
7 3:53 14:29
8 1:53 16:22
9 4:31 20:53
10 2:40 23:33
-------------------
11 3:28 27:01
12 :57 27:58
13 3:11 31:09
14 7:24 38:33
15 8:00 46:33
16 5:50 52:23
17 4:02 56:25
18 8:13 1:04:38
19 14:41 1:19:19
20 4:34 1:23:53
21 killed by a chaingunner

Levels 13 & 15 are absolutely terrible, OTOH I'm satisfied with levels 3 & 9.
Anyway, I hope someone can beat this - maybe even pulling it off on UV.
Some time can be saved on levels 5 (pressing invisible switch), 8 (elevator switch) and 10 (bars trick, yellow key grab and using more rockets).

2333m201.zip

vdgg said:
complevel 4

If you try again you'll want to use level 2. Level 4 is for Final DOOM (TNT.WAD or PLUTONIA.WAD).

Yes, this is due to the issue mentioned in myk's post.

You need to force -complevel 4 for playback, or use plutonia as the iwad (that's what I'll use when I eventually update the autoloading patterns to get it to play back correctly). Or if using chocolate, force -gameversion final.

If using a vanilla exe, you'll need to Final Doom's Doom2.exe, if you have it.

Does anybody want to see MM2 MAP09 Pacifist? :-)

It had been discussed in the ancient MM2 tricks thread

From my textfile:

I know about three ways to finish this level Pacifist-style:

1) The fastest, the most difficult. Let the Cacodemon kill you (death slide). m209fai1 shows
where the problem lies: you need perfect aiming and in most cases you don't reach the pit
anyway. From savegames I fell into the pit two times, but it still was insufficient
(with a map editor you'll see why). Anyway, I won't say anything new: possible; if it were
an IWAD level, it would have been done already.

2) Do the rocket jump/death slide using the rocket launcher in the secret area. m209fai2 shows
another problem: the mancubus...

3) Get the red key, pick up another RL and do the same as in 2). Your worst enemies:
shotgunners and one Pain Elemental.

1st exit of course. Can't do this with doom2.exe, with low resolution I don't see the shotgun guys...

m2092320.zip

As for the rocket suicide in MM2 MAP09, the failure is quite unlikely I think, so I wasn't very nervous if I remember. But yes, I remember the relief when I saw the intermission screen.

Also, in one of my earlier attempts I managed to pick up the RL, but the monsters blocked my way back at the RK door. That was pretty bad...

vdgg said:

MAP01-MAP30 Hurt Me Plenty speedrun in 94:53

I was wondering whether anyone would do this. I toyed with the idea after doing the MM1 movie, but it seemed much longer to finish this one at a glance. Good job. :)