Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

BFG Question

Umm, Im planning to draw the doom marine holding a bfg from side view, and how does he hold it? I can kind of picture it, but not really. Where does everything get held?

By the way, Doom 1 and 2 Bfg not Doom 3.

I always thought of the two things sticking out of the top as some kind of folding stock, since they aren't visible from the first person view. Maybe somewhere between the shoulder and the hip?

You also have to take into account that the Doomguy is a lefty. I don't think the UAC would manufacture only lefty BFGs to scatter around their moonbases.

It is an oddly shaped weapon, though, so it's hard to visualize.

He holds the pistol in his left hand.

But come to think of it, he holds the shotguns right-handed.

Guess he can't make up his mind.

Megalyth said:

Uh? It seems he's holding it in the the left hand too.

EDIT: Oh heh... he's using the left hand to reload. Confusing. :P

From what I can tell, the right arm goes through the foldy-bit and onto the trigger, which is just below the red light on the weapon sprite. The left hand goes on what appears to be a hand guard near the front, just in front of the visible magazine.

Those two things pointing out are definitely folding stocks, with the black parts probably lying on shoulders. With the gun being that huge, there might be a rope or chain or something connecting the black parts that's used to even some of the gun's weight from the user's hands to his back. Based solely on the thing's weight I'd assume that whoever operates it, he's using his dominant hand to carry more of the weight and use the other hand for pressing the trigger.

There's a folding stock on there, which when unfolded goes against the right shoulder. The grip is a fair bit away from the shoulder since you don't want it too near to your body when it fires. The left hand would go under the BFG, not far ahead of the grip, it almost looks like there's a grip off to the left side of the gun at a diagonal angle that you can grab on to. As for the doomguy, he seems to alternate hands. The punch and the pistol are left handed, but the shotgun, super shotgun, and plasma rifle are right handed. Firearms are designed almost exclusively with right handed people in mind, since the majority of people are right handed, and almost always the main weight is held up with the left hand. This is so the weapon is centered on the right side, so you can aim with your right eye, since in most right handed people the right eye is dominant and you can aim better with it. It can be alternated, but since the cartridge ejects on the right side, left handed people are more at risk of being hit in the face with an ejected cartridge, but this rarely happens. More often, the risk is from a misfired cartridge that hasn't gone off, if a right handed person opens the breach, and the cartridge goes off they have less of a chance of being hit with shrapnel from it since it's to the outside of their body. A left handed person however has the breach in direct line with their face, so it's certainly more of a problem. I looks to me though that it has a folding stock on it that's folded upwards in the sprite, that folds down and lays flat against the right shoulder, with the right hand on the grip and trigger, and the left hand is used to support the weight of the weapon.

@Jello: Thats pretty much what I figured the whole buttstock thing was for anyway. When I first saw the BFG in Doom I was wondering what the hell that thing sticking out of the back of it was.

Check the doom comic book, there was a picture of him somewhere near the last pages holding a bfg. That giant claw thing on the back of the gun goes in front of his arm, and the black tip attaches to the shoulder.

EDIT:
Actually i think theres two giant claw things in the back, theres one semi-hidden behind it. So i guess each one attaches to both shoulders?

Still makes more sense to me that it's just a folding butt stock that's folding upwards, to make the firearm take up less room. I don't see how having it attach to the shoulder like in the comic would help with recoil at all, it would just pull your shoulder along with it, and I would imagine that would be more uncomfortable than just having it push against your shoulder like with a normal firearm. I looks to me like the stock should fold straight out to the back of the BFG, and possibly the fact that it's made in a diagonal fashion would imply that the stock would itself fold when fired, much like a spring, thus reducing recoil since the energy is used in contracting the stock as well as being exerted into the user. But I suppose it's not worth all that much thought, just ask id how it's supposed to be held. <smiley face>

Actually, I dont think it would be for reducing the shock of recoil, but mroe along the lines of supporting such a heavy weapon. With all that metal, circuitry, and more of all, the powercells, the thing has to weigh somewhere around 150+ lbs (maybe not that much, if they made the case out of plastic).

RazTK said:

Uh? It seems he's holding it in the the left hand too.

EDIT: Oh heh... he's using the left hand to reload. Confusing. :P

No, he holds it with the right hand.

First off, the whole structure of the BFG is rather a bit off. One way or another, you'll have to take it with a fist of salt. But I am suggesting that the butt part, where the first joint of the strap dohickey is, might be at your side when strapped on. Also, am I the only one who see another one behind the first one, suggesting that the whole weapon is strapped on to both the marines shoulders and is held up like that. Quite possibly, strapped onto his entire upper body really.
This means the first joint on each of the straps could get at each of your sides, making it a somewhat fixated around your hips or stomach. Then the straps go slightly forward over your chest and up to your shoulders.

Anyway, that is the only way I can imagine it with it still being possible to reach the trigger, aswell as hold up such a formidable construction while running at the speed of a small car.

Also, it's an energy weapon people. No real reason to believe it's really that big a recoil on it to begin with, but it's Big... and as such, heavy.

And for those who think it's a foldable butt stock. Seriously. There's nothing that suggest that in the sprite.

1. It's really long. How would you ever reach the trigger if you use it as a butt?
2. Why would it have 3 joints?
3. The end of butt stock as you call it would be a very odd construction if you want to use it as a butt stock.
4. The way the joints are positioned, they make much more sense as a shoulder strap.
5. Did I mention it's BIG?! Oh yes, I did. Well, here's one more for the road. it's BIG, and BIG weapons are HEAVY.

Jello said:

I looks to me like the stock should fold straight out to the back of the BFG, and possibly the fact that it's made in a diagonal fashion would imply that the stock would itself fold when fired, much like a spring, thus reducing recoil since the energy is used in contracting the stock as well as being exerted into the user. But I suppose it's not worth all that much thought, just ask id how it's supposed to be held. <smiley face>

You can't be serious, that would make absolutely no sense at all. if you want a dampener for the butt stock, then you're way better off installing a hydraulic piston such as they use in cars, Motorcycles, bikes, whatever else you got.

Anyone ever think that the BFG HAS no recoil? None of the sprites move after firing, even though you'd expect a pretty major knockback from a blast so huge.

So maybe there's a discharge out the sides we cant see or something, or maybe just some other futuristic recoil absorber. Either way, it supports this fact.

kristus said:

Also, am I the only one who see another one behind the first one, suggesting that the whole weapon is strapped on to both the marines shoulders and is held up like that. Quite possibly, strapped onto his entire upper body really.

Funnily enough, that's what I've always thought. If it's as heavy as it looks, one arm wouldn't be enough to hold it properly. Little to no recoil would suggest that this is the case as well.

I think doom64 had recoil that threw the player back a few steps.

Megalyth said:

He holds the pistol in his left hand.

I'm 100% left handed, but I shoot both a shotgun and a rifle right handed. I shoot a pistol with either one.

So maybe its not THAT strange... :)

Lefty here, I always find my left hand is the one pulling the trigger, and the right is supporting it (whether its a pistol or a rifle)

Dusty said:

I'm 100% left handed, but I shoot both a shotgun and a rifle right handed. I shoot a pistol with either one.

So maybe its not THAT strange... :)

You

are

my

HERO

I've hijacked a thread and sparked a flame war a loooong time ago on a different forum about how the doomguy was left handed, but they kept showing me frames of the shotgun and ssg to prove me wrong. Can i ask whether or not you reload an SSG the way doomguy does? If so, unlimited high fives for you dude.

LOL. Actually yes that is how I have always reloaded. I'm from Texas, we know our guns. ;)

If that thread wasnt dead right now I'd have to quote you and link to this topic.

Lefties hold the recharge stock on shotguns with their left, because its their dominant arm. You need some force to pump the weapon and recharge. With the SSG, its just a lot more comfortable to reload with the left -dominant- I'm ambidextrous, so I've experimented with weapons with both hands. Doomguy is ambidextrous, because, like they say, he's an everyman.

Odd, i had a toy BFG, and it was something you stuck on your arm, kinda like the X Buster from Rockman, or Samuses weapon. o.O

Also, as a note, recoil comes from explosions inside the gun, i wouldn't think a plasma gun had an explosion to shoot off the projectile..so i would imagen there is no recoil at all.

Of course, this is a scifi game, its not 100% accurately done [as if you could accurately do a weapon dynamic that doesn't exist]..so the game has recoil basicly because its an "OMG BIG GUN"