Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aabra

Decorate Testing for Skulltag

The Skulltag Development team is currently in the process of making sure that absolutely every Decorate function/feature works perfectly both offline and online. We're trying to make it so that *all* Zdoom/GZDoom wads will work with Skulltag for co-op and survival fun. (Not to mention all the Decorate crazy wad authors who are making multiplayer maps.)

Needless to say, this is an extremely long list of functions to go through and a lot of work! Currently most functions work without a problem but every now and then a function reacts abnormally in a server/client environment.

Anyways, if you could please recommend some extremely Decorate heavy Zdoom/GZDoom wads (excluding KDIZD and TUTNT which we've already tested) that we could use to help test this then I'd be extremely grateful.

Making test wads for individual functions is boring and slow so I'd like to avoid doing that for as long as possible! :)

Ya, somebody else recommended that to us... so we spent the entire night playing through the entire thing... both episodes. Amazing wad... and best of all it worked without any problems. :) Well... there were a couple minor problems with the wad as a couple teleports weren't set to repeatable etc but all the weapons/monsters/3d floors/etc worked great!

stfball used the *really* old style of decorate which ZDoom (and in turn Skulltag) no longer supports. Very few wads ever actually used this so it's not a big loss. stfball needs to be changed to use the newer (and better) decorate - then it'll work in Skulltag again.

I'm fairly certain that support for the old decorate code won't be added. Too few wads use it and it's not worth the effort when the wads themselves can simply be updated.

Huh?

Is it really that hard to keep some code to parse obsolete parameters? If I see this correctly the only thing that keeps this WAD from starting is the UPDATEPOSITION flag and it shouldn't cost more than 2 lines of code to make this a no-op in the parser.

Graf Zahl said:

If I see this correctly the only thing that keeps this WAD from starting is the UPDATEPOSITION flag and it shouldn't cost more than 2 lines of code to make this a no-op in the parser.

That flag was necessary for the wad to work in multiplayer. Carnevil added it specifically for stfball, and I'm not sure of the circumstances involved with its removal. The wad works absolutely fine in single player without it, even in current releases of skulltag.

It works fine in the latest internal build without the UPDATEPOSITION flag. Just rerelease the wad and remove that flag. It needs to be rereleased anyway, because the value of GAME_NET_TEAMGAME changed when GAME_TITLE_MAP was introduced.

Carnevil said:

It works fine in the latest internal build without the UPDATEPOSITION flag. Just rerelease the wad and remove that flag. It needs to be rereleased anyway, because the value of GAME_NET_TEAMGAME changed when GAME_TITLE_MAP was introduced.

Thanks for the info. It's also nice to hear that decorate support has improved. I may not personally give a shit anymore, but I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

Carnevil said:

Ok, if this really is the only WAD ever to use that flag a WAD update is certainly enough. Are you certain that there are no others?

Graf Zahl said:

Ok, if this really is the only WAD ever to use that flag a WAD update is certainly enough. Are you certain that there are no others?

I seriously doubt any other wads used that flag.