Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blarg

Wierd DOOM errors

I only have DOOM2 v1.666, so that might be the problem, but sometimes I'll be playing, nothing will be wrong, then suddenly my num, caps, and scroll lock lights will flash and my guy will continuously run in whatever direction I was going. I have not been able to purposefully duplicate this error, but it never happens when I'm running straight, although I've had it happen one pretty much every other combination.

Another thing, when I play music in the background to DOOM, (using Win. Media Player 7.1, it's a win98 machine) the PC Speaker will spas out halfway through the game and it will be immpossible to play with *errek baaaank waank chreeeeee bop* overriding my sound. I do not and have never used the PC Speaker for playing.

Last and least, sometimes the same PC SPeaker problem will occur on startup of DOOM2 or it has happened on Wolf3d which makes me think it's not a problem with DOOM.

I know I'm doing something wrong, so help.

blarg said:
I only have DOOM2 v1.666, so that might be the problem, but sometimes I'll be playing, nothing will be wrong, then suddenly my num, caps, and scroll lock lights will flash and my guy will continuously run in whatever direction I was going. I have not been able to purposefully duplicate this error, but it never happens when I'm running straight, although I've had it happen one pretty much every other combination.

Unless you have the pirated version, you can upgrade to v1.9 by applying this patch, and then this one.

Another thing, when I play music in the background to DOOM, (using Win. Media Player 7.1, it's a win98 machine)

That won't work properly, I believe. Either the ingame sounds and the MP3 will interfere with each other, or DOS will not allow the MP3 to play correctly.

Last and least, sometimes the same PC SPeaker problem will occur on startup of DOOM2 or it has happened on Wolf3d which makes me think it's not a problem with DOOM.

Just make sure other programs aren't running at the same time as the DOS games.

blarg, you didn't mention what controller setup you use, but here are some ideas anyway.

- Check you keyboard/mouse config (with SETUP.EXE) and see if you have the same key/button bound to different actions.
- If you don't use the mouse to strafe, set mouseb_strafe in DEFAULT.CFG to -1.
- Try disabling the mouse in the Setup and see if the problem goes away.
- Don't load any DOS mouse drivers at startup.

What is your sound config? Changing the IRQ and/or DMA might help, seeing how you have problems with playing back audio in the background. I have no such problem, except cannot ALT+TAB to the desktop when using foobar2000 in the background (the system hangs). The Windoze CD player works fine when used concurrently with DOOM, BTW.

As myk mentioned, upgrading to v1.9 may help. You can have both v1.666 and v1.9, running from different directories. I got a separate dir for every known version, as a matter of fact.

thx for the help, but I'm a total retard and don't know how to use those patches. I'll run the patch itsself and a DOS window will appear with "applying the patch..." and then it suddenly ends with the message saying, "error ept0015- Old File does not exist"
if I have to run DOOM2 and add on PATCH to the command line like the .txt file says, where do I put this in? If I need to restart into DOS mode, my doom directory is the usual c:\doom2\ but for some reason each new line starts not with c:\, but c:\<WINDOWS>.

There's probably some simple way to do this right, but the closest I've ever come to using the command line is when putting in the params for Doom Builder.

I'll get back to you, Never_Again with by settings and such.

myk said:
That won't work properly, I believe. Either the ingame sounds and the MP3 will interfere with each other, or DOS will not allow the MP3 to play correctly.

But the songs in question are in WAV format. Is this just a thing with WMP 7.1?

blarg said:
But the songs in question are in WAV format. Is this just a thing with WMP 7.1?

The system will try to play both the MP3 and Doom's sounds through the same means. The only way it might work is if Doom were started without sounds, but the MP3 will probably stutter or lag the game in that case.

blarg said:
but I'm still in the dark on this patch.

Put the contents into the folder where you have DOOM2.WAD and DOOM2.EXE and then double click PATCH.EXE.

I put the folder in my doom directory, but it still had the same message, then I tried putting the patch itsself into the doom directory without the folder, but windows would only let me create shortcuts, not move the patch out of its folder. shit...

blarg said:
then I tried putting the patch itsself into the doom directory without the folder, but windows would only let me create shortcuts, not move the patch out of its folder. shit...

Right click the patch executable and choose "copy", then right click somewhere in your DOOM directory and choose "paste".