Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

What is your favorite fan made wad ever?

This is a question I've been asking people for my interviews. I'm trying to learn more about good wads. So, what is your favorite fan made wad?

favorite ever is difficult. i highly enjoy several wads for different reasons:

phocas island 2
deus vult
rtc-3057
chordg
scythe2
suspended in dusk
brotherhood of ruin
action doom
simplicity
hell revealed 2
alien vendetta
asylum of the wretched
dark7
galaxia
sky city

yeah...
it's actually probably between the first two.
i replay those all the damn time.

I also like many WADs for different reasons, but I tend to go with the grandiose/over the top ones. Like...

The Ultimate Torment and Torture
Knee-Deep in ZDoom
Deus Vult
Alien Vendetta
Scythe
Scythe II
WolfenDoom (I know thats not technically one WAD, but all the WolfenDooms are great)
Sapphire
ZDoom Community Map Project
Equinox
Phocas Island II
KZDoom Series
Xen Dynamics
Dark7 and Mission Pack

EDIT: More levels added

In somewhat of an order:

Super Sonic Doom
The one Im working on ;)
Zen Dynamics
Ultimate Torment and Torture
Action Doom (heh)
Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 (also the arcade its found in)

In no real order at all

LAST DAY ON EARTH episode I
Ultimate Torment and Torture
Indoor City
Void
Twilight Zone 1 and 2
The Darkening 1 and 2
Island
Cyberdreams
Doomguy's pimp ventures II
deathz0r Online: The Internet Made Stupid

Edit: That should be all of them

There are a lot of wads I like, but off the top of my head, the ones I remember liking clearly in no paticular order:

Biowar (One of the first wads I ever played. I love it.)
Massmouth series
Twilight Zone 2
Bella 2
32in24 series
Gamarra series (Bite me, I dont have actual harsh feelings towards the targets of the wad, I just find it fun and amusing, the way any good jokewad should be.)
Mock 2
Do-tims (I passed this wad up for a long time, but I played it in a Skulltag server not so long ago and found it to be pretty fun and creative.)
Marswar

There are more, but I dont remember at the moment. There ya go.

Galaxia
Memento mori
Memento mori 2
Eternal DooM
Requiem
Ragnarok
And anything made by Mike Reed...
Nuff said!
BTW Yomoneyboat, I'm glad you liked the 1024 proj. Lutrov worked his ass off, it took us a while to make it what it is. :)

Stealthy Ivan said:

Galaxia
Memento mori
Memento mori 2
Eternal DooM
Requiem
Ragnarok
And anything made by Mike Reed...
Nuff said!

Oh man, I remember Mike Reed. He made the most badass maps,

Hoover.wad

Stealthy Ivan said:

BTW Yomoneyboat, I'm glad you liked the 1024 proj. Lutrov worked his ass off, it took us a while to make it what it is. :)

It's amazing the quality and detail you can fit into that small space! It inspired me to try a 512 project, but that proved to be too small.

Yes, Hoover.wad and Rabbit Hole.wad were my favorites by Mike Reed! I wonder what happened to all the old school mappers? Also, any one here remember the Innocent Crew?

Personally, my favorite is the old Marines of Uac mod, now Soldiers Stockpile, it completely changes the gameplay experience, even though it's just a weapons mod. As far as level .wads, I'd say Alien Vendetta, TVR!, and that one... the one in the forest, it was made as an art project and only the demo has been released as of yet. I can't remember it's name for some reason, but it was a really spectacular .wad.

P.S. So when is the new MOUAC going to be done Nick? I'm really looking forward to it.

Yesterday I've started Alien Venteta, it's one of the most fun wads I've ever played.

Whenever people mention Mike Reed, I always think of Mike Reid, Aka Prower.

Anyway, my top picks would probably be:
Aliens TC
Zan Zan
RTC-3057
High Tech Hell 2
NimrodPD (For once when mentioning one of my own wads, I'm serious)
Eternal Doom
Darkening E2 (However, I consider this a mixed bag)
Phobos (Roger Ritenour)

Can't really think of any other atm...

Stealthy Ivan said:

Ragnarok

Unless you mean this (which I doubt considering the other wads of your list) Ragnarok (The search for Asgaard, by Team TNT) is on an indefinite hold and as such I doubt you've ever played it.

I've played a lot of wads, but none of them has overpassed Eternal Doom in my favorite listing.

Same for Gulag.wad for Heretic.

Forgot to mention some close runners :

Hellcore 2.0
Alien Vendetta
Demon Eclipse
and some maps in classic Megawads such as the Memento Mori's, Requiem etc.

kristus said:

Unless you mean this (which I doubt considering the other wads of your list) Ragnarok (The search for Asgaard, by Team TNT) is on an indefinite hold and as such I doubt you've ever played it.

The ragnarok I was talking about was made by a freind of mine so you peeps probably never played it, but I still might have a copy laying around if any one is interested.

Stealthy Ivan said:

The ragnarok I was talking about was made by a freind of mine so you peeps probably never played it, but I still might have a copy laying around if any one is interested.

Indeed, that I would be.

Jello said:

the one in the forest, it was made as an art project and only the demo has been released as of yet. I can't remember it's name for some reason, but it was a really spectacular .wad.

Skadoomer's 'Foreverhood'? I played that and really enjoyed it, but as mentioned, it was incomplete, so I was kinda annoyed there wasn't more.

Come to think of it, I would also add:

Hellcore v2.0

No doubt I will edit this post at somepoint if I remember anymore.

BoldEnglishman said:

Skadoomer's 'Foreverhood'? I played that and really enjoyed it, but as mentioned, it was incomplete, so I was kinda annoyed there wasn't more.

That's exactly it! Thanks for reminding me. I was looking through my doom 2 .wads trying to find it, but I did a bit of housecleaning and it must've gotten lost in the process. I felt that 2.5 gigs of .wads was a bit much. I was really disappointed that it wasn't longer as well, but the experience while it lasted was amazing.

Oh, I'll also take this moment to pimp a half-life mod. If any of you still play, and are looking for mods to the original half-life, I'd reccommend "afraid of monsters". Freakiest game I've ever played, the jump factor far outweighs the Resident Evils, probably because it's in first person. The directors cut of it is scheduled to be released 'soonish' I would imagine by halloween or the end of the year. Gotta love those Jacob's Ladder head twitchers.

Scythe 2
The Ultimate Torment & Torture
KDIZD

AND of course there are lots of good oldies like anvil2.wad, icdoom2 etc. Dinner.wad was the first ever pwad episode replacement I played and it still is one of my favourites actually. It's a very good replacement for Episode 2:Shores of Hell. It succeeds in places where the original doesnt. Lots of action and creative tricks and traps throughout the episode. Play it with something that emulates doom 1.2 well. I'll go try how it works with zdoom :D