Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReX

Doom is ranked among top 10 most controversial games

Yahoo has ranked Doom as one of the most controversial games in the last 15 years. So what's new, eh?

Read about it here.

If there had been an order ranking in this, Doom should've been ranked No. 1. None of these other games have been blamed on an actual massacre. So some preteens got to look at a crude polygonal sex scene. So what? Would parents rather their kids horde Playboy mags? Doom being the most controversial game is no surprise, and it should be considered quite an honor.

Also, Doom has been ranked among the most addictive games as well, as I stated here.

Yeah it definitely would. Night Trap would probably be second, Mortal Kombat third, and San Andreas fourth, and Postal fifth. I dunno how to rate the others.

Uh? Why isn't "Custer's Revenge" on there?

EDIT: Because it's older than 15 years. My bad.
EDIT #2: And they even mentioned it in the first paragraphs. I need some sleep.

SimCopter (1996: PC)

Before Rockstar was scalded by Hot Coffee, sim developer Maxis was burned by Hot Guys In Speedos. Upset with what he considered unfair working conditions (i.e. too many hours, not enough margaritas), a SimCopter programmer named Jacques Servin decided to play a bit of a prank by making a few alterations to the game code just before it shipped: on certain dates, scads of shirtless male sprites (dubbed "himbos") would gather in great numbers to hug and kiss. When word of the unauthorized code leaked, sales skyrocketed and Servin was summarily fired. Where's the love?

I was so into SimCopter and I had no idea about this.

Coopersville said:

I was so into SimCopter and I had no idea about this.

And now you're even more into it.

GGG said:

None of these other games have been blamed on an actual massacre.

Duke Nukem 3d has been, but it didn't even make the list. (not that I think it really belongs on it, since it's all so tounge in cheek that most people don't look at it like that, but there's definitely been controversy surrounding it)

kristus said:

Duke Nukem 3d has been, but it didn't even make the list. (not that I think it really belongs on it, since it's all so tounge in cheek that most people don't look at it like that, but there's definitely been controversy surrounding it)

Are you telling me that you don't take a game which includes the phrase "I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum" seriously?
[/sarcasm]

Guys, I got to tell you, I never would have even gotten into Doom if it hadn't been for the media blaming it for tragedies like the Columbine massacre. Great games like Doom and Quake have been made the scape goat for these types of events, and it's complete bull shit as far as I'm concerned. For every hard-core gamer like Eric or Dillon, there are thousands upon thousands of gamers who would never think of doing something like they did. And frankly I get tired of hearing it. To me, it's nothing more than a cop-out that squeaky-clean people use to try and explain away what probably nobody could have helped. And as for me, as long as I keep hearing them run their big ignorant mouths about it, I'm going to keep on buying and playing the very games they condemn.