Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aabra

No Rage for Linux?

Beyond3D is reporting of an article in a German publication in which id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead discusses the upcoming id title Rage and the engine it runs on, codenamed "id Tech 5". Amongst other things, Hollenshead mentions that no Linux version of the game is planned at the moment, and that it will run on Direct3D on Windows platform. An OpenGL version is planned for the Mac, however. If true, this would be a serious blow for Linux gaming, as id and Carmack have been strong proponents of OpenGL in the past.

If they're planning an OSX OpenGL version then it should be possible to get it running on Linux as well without too much difficulty. At the very least if they don't have time for anything else I expect they'll provide instructions/help for using WINE. Id have always been very Linux-friendly in the past.

In a sense Id have already "abandoned" Linux; IIRC they released a Linux version of Quake III, but Carmack later commented that there was no money in the Linux games market and they wouldn't bother doing it again..

id = sellouts

Seriously, though, now they're more or less a corporation run to a large degree by pure businessmen, whereas they used to be more of a private company whose actions were dictated mainly by the direct work of the owners.

When an industry grows really big, to stay big within it you have to grow beyond your reach.

Sorry, I just copied/pasted the article more or less straight from slashdot. Title and all heh.

Doesn't this mean the end for OpenGL games on Windows? Are there any other engines that still used OpenGL other than the ones made by id?

OpenGL will still survive on Windows due to CAD, professional 3D modelling packages, etc, but I have a feeling nVidia/ATI will start shifting resources away from the OpenGL gaming driver teams in favor of Direct3D.

Just because no version is planned at the moment doesn't mean we won't end up with one. We may have to wait 10 years for the source to be released, though :)

The part regarding Linux is this one:

Auf die Frage danach, ob denn Rage bzw. die zu Grunde liegende id-Tech-5-Engine neben Mac, Windows-PC, PlayStation 3 und Xbox 360 auch Linux-PCs unterstützen werden, antwortete Hollenshead, dass dazu noch nichts geplant oder angekündigt worden sei. Technisch möglich wäre es, zumal auch mit MacOS X ein Unix-System unterstützt würde. Hollenshead zufolge ist John Carmack mittlerweile nicht mehr so an Linux interessiert wie zuvor, auch wenn es noch einige Linux-Fans bei id Software gebe. Hier müssen Linux-Fans also noch abwarten.

It says that no Linux version is planned at the moment. But it is technically possible, since it supports MacOS anyway. According to that report Carmack is just not as interested in Linux as he used to be, not that he abandoned Linux at all.

I found this to be interesting:

Auf der Xbox 360 wird das DirectX-Äquivalent und auf dem Mac OpenGL verwendet, für die PS3 wurde ein eigener Renderer entwickelt.

So they developed their own renderer for the PS3 version. Isnt' PS3 using OpenGL too?

boris said:

The part regarding Linux is this one:

It says that no Linux version is planned at the moment. But it is technically possible, since it supports MacOS anyway. According to that report Carmack is just not as interested in Linux as he used to be, not that he abandoned Linux at all.

I found this to be interesting:

So they developed their own renderer for the PS3 version. Isnt' PS3 using OpenGL too?

Yes it does. However, the fact that their engine can run using OGL as well doesn't mean it runs on Linux also. But read the link scuba posted: Carmack says the PC version currently runs on OGL but it might change before release. Given that he knows both OGL and D3D, I'm sure he made his code easy to port for other graphics drivers. So I wouldn't really worry about it. I guess they will make a Linux port eventually.

Meh! Rage. Why all the rage related interest? It has very little to do with Doom. Stuff to do with Rage is just general gaming news IMO.

Enjay said:
Meh! Rage. Why all the rage related interest? It has very little to do with Doom. Stuff to do with Rage is just general gaming news IMO.

I thought the same thing a few days ago, but it might make some people browsing for Rage info click on Doomworld, read the news and say "hey, wow, DOOM, that game rocked, maybe I should play it again..."

Finally, Direct3D is on its way back up. I can't explain it, but I really dislike OpenGL. Maybe because my computer has severe issues with it.

No, that's 3DFX' Glide.

D3D is Microsoft's library(?, is it a lib? I dunno I'm into painting stuff) which drivers you install when you install DirectX on your computer.

skadoomer said:

So where idWorld now? Cool, now lets talk about how awesome quake was!

Quake wars is Awesome with a big A and x10!

drivers you install when you install DirectX on your computer.

D3D doesn't have any drivers. Drivers are for hardware, D3D is a library/API like OpenGL. The big difference between the two is that D3D is an object oriented C++ API for Windows and OpenGL is a C API for various systems.

It's too bad there isn't a multi-platform OO API. I don't use OpenGL because it looks hideous when mixed in with C# code and using extensions is such a bitch.

leileilol said:

Then why do we have to keep upgrading it explain that huh

When you download a new version of DX, you're updating the DLL files(the libraries) that games use.

This may require drivers updates too, but that depends on the device, DX does not come with drivers.

OpenGL does the same thing. It's just that MS likes to update DX all the time, whereas most OGL users are stuck with whatever version their video card was built to support.

Scet said:

OpenGL does the same thing. It's just that MS likes to update DX all the time, whereas most OGL users are stuck with whatever version their video card was built to support.

Same with DX. My DX6/7/8 cards can't play DX9/10 games.

Scet said:

whereas most OGL users are stuck with whatever version their video card was built to support.

don't forget every fucking directx 10 card owner that will have to buy a new card to use directx 10.1

Sign in to follow this