Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

What is your favorite fan made wad ever?

BoldEnglishman said:

That's basically what I was going to say. The argument I use in playing Doom compared to games today is just that. I play Doom BECAUSE of what authors come up with in the confines of the Doom engine (and related source ports). It's interesting to see what level authors create when they impose restrictions on themselves.

cwy, you don't exactly have to play Congestion1024x1024 if you disagree with the WADs goals. There are plenty of maps that ARE bigger, DO have much more open space around, and are FULL of action. Particularly slaughter-fests. Also, yomoneyboat isen't the only person who reckons Congestion1024x1024 is a good map set, as that WAD it was one of the top 10 of its year of release (which I have forgotten currently) - according to Doomworld's 10 Years of Doom.

yomoneyboat, I think, as you said, "the morons always get drawn to me", is partly because you respond to their posts, which can provoke them into posting @ you.

Anyway MY opinion, and MY final decision about all this is that I do prefer levels with action, bigger levels, and more open space. I have played Cyberdreams, and, although I wouldn't play it again since discovering what it's about, that's just my personal taste. I can see the creativity the authors have put into that WAD, it's just not what I enjoy playing. I haven't even played Congestion1024x1024, but I can guess that creativity is used in the same way. BUT I don't whine about them or say that their crap, I just don't play them.

So you didn't enjoy Cyberdreams, and you haven't played Congestion 1024, which you implied that you probably wouldn't enjoy due to its similarity in certain ways to Cyberdreams. So basically you and I are in agreement. So why the uncalled-for insinuation that I'm a moron who whines? I did not whine; I criticized Congestion 1024 in the civilest way possible. And that assclown, due to his abject insecurity, perhaps by nature or upbringing, or both, got mad at me because I criticized his favorite wad. All the moronic behavior originated from him.

TheCupboard said:

btw it's just a game.

I'm just shocked that it got the high praises that it did...

cwy said:

And that assclown, due to his abject insecurity, perhaps by nature or upbringing, or both, got mad at me because I criticized his favorite wad. All the moronic behavior originated from him.

Name calling is the last resort of those with a weak argument.

myk,

You can argue semantics all you want (whether there's more or less gameplay, cramped or not cramped, gimmick or not gimmick, good wad designs versus "just a hobby", etc.). The crux of the matter is this "experiment" of making good maps out of 1024x1024 areas has failed. I had high hopes for this, thinking it would be something spectacular, but nothing happened. They are just small, tight maps. I just don't understand the high praises for this.

cwy said:

And that assclown, due to his abject insecurity, perhaps by nature or upbringing, or both, got mad at me because I criticized his favorite wad. All the moronic behavior originated from him.

OK, you were warned.

Okay, now that 1024 is out of the way, what about Congestion 64? Even though it's a novelty wad, I found it a good 10 minutes. It had some interesting bits, and the 5 minute door in MAP14 is just classic. It's one of my top 25.

yomoneyboat said:

Okay, now that 1024 is out of the way, what about Congestion 64? Even though it's a novelty wad, I found it a good 10 minutes. It had some interesting bits, and the 5 minute door in MAP14 is just classic. It's one of my top 25.

That has to be one of the dumbest wads ever and I'm surprised that it even warrants a discussion. This wad is like Master P on Dancing with the Stars, Rosie O'Donnell on The View, or you calling me a dumbass a few posts ago -- trying to look badass but ending up looking pathetic.

cwy2 said:

That has to be one of the dumbest wads ever and I'm surprised that it even warrants a discussion. This wad is like Master P on Dancing with the Stars, Rosie O'Donnell on The View, or you calling me a dumbass a few posts ago -- trying to look badass but ending up looking pathetic.

Okay whatever you say.
Anyway, on topic, Suspended in Dusk is my favorite Vanilla wad. It looks better than half of the port-specific wads out right now, and it's got very good atmosphere and gameplay to boot.

I predict this will not end well.

However, on topic, my top 5 goes something like:

STRAIN
Suspended in Dusk
Scythe
RTC-3057
Memento Mori II

*High five*

strain ftw. I loved every minute of it as well.

I'm playing Eternal Doom for the first time, and I'm only on the 4th level, the maps are loooonng but the music, textures, difficulty, suspense, and overall theme and atmosphere are incredible. I kinda like the lack of medikits so I'm always on my toes.

I say this every time, and I'll say it again: level 12 of Eternal Doom is my hands-down favorite level of all time, period. Also, though it does occasionally get annoying, Eternal Doom as a whole is pretty friggin' awesome. Also, I recommend:
- Action Doom
- Batman Doom
- The Artifact levels

i must have missed the gem that is MAP12 of eternal whilst slogging through the turds that were maps 1-11 and 13-32. however since lutz posted i am reminded that inferno was nearly as good as p:ar, so it gets a fav mention too.

Yeah the thing about Eternal Doom, is that it's at the perfect difficulty level that makes it a Doom 3. If youve played Doom 1, and thought it was hard, playing it over again would make it easy. Now onto Doom 2. A pretty bit harder. Its got a few more bigger maps and loads of monsters. Now onto Final Doom. This is pretty hard, with the abundance of revenants and chaingun guys but the maps are more memorable and the puzzles are even more frustrating. And now... Eternal Doom.

This wad is loaded with newer Vanilla Doom special effects that weren't made exposed much in the previous wads. The maps are long and painful. Quite a large bit of monsters with very little health to compensate. There are lots of graphics replacements, but their mostly for the better. (I really like how abused the face looks after getting roughed up) The puzzles are agonzing and what with the loooong maps and the lack of health makes the wad so suspenseful and paining for the player. Most stuff that would normally be secrets in other wads are necessary to complete the maps. Their not painfully obvious, but they aren't so hidden that you'll never beat it. But you do have to study the maps carefully to find out how to progress. Eternal Doom is not for pussies. I really feel like i'm in a new environment when I am playing it. You have to put up with what Eternal Doom throws at you because even though there are parts that are so god awful and may seem impossible to suppress, it's so painfully good when you can get through it. Eternal Doom is certainly what Doom 3 should have been.

Man, I've got a lot of favorites. I've got more, but I can't really remember their names at the moment. This is in no particular order:

Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Pleiades.wad
Suspended in Darkness
Immoral Conduct: Special Edition
Action Doom
hoover.wad
earth.wad

Nick Perrin said:

Not really. But in essence it's been replaced by copious amounts of gameplay gimmicks and mechanics, at least I hope so! Tons of weapons was never the hallmark of TRULY GOOD game, just a GOOD weapons mod. There is no need to have 3 pistols, they all do the same thing.

All the weapons in the new MoUAC are more distinct, there are less of them, and while often basic, they all have different effects on your enemies, and usually their secondary fires have yet ANOTHER different effect. This makes them wildly more fun to use than just having, say, 15 ways to come to the same zombie death (or whatever).

I suppose this is true, although I do like the way the zombie men dropped m-16s, the way you had to work your way up to the good weaponry was interesting, but it all fell apart once you got the .50. I never much used the m-16 after getting the m4/m203, and didn't use the .22 at all after the m-16. But it was still fun having a nice variety. Sounds like you've really worked hard to refine it though, and since it's taken this long I'm sure it'll be great! As far as pistols go though, I think a .45 and a .357 or .44 magnum would be good, the magnum would use seperate, less common ammo so you'd have to conserve it. Certainly keep the Pancor Jackhammer as well, may a good times were had with that thing. I'm sure it'll all be well balanced when it comes out though, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Memento Mori II
Requiem
KDiZD
The Darkening E2*
Alien Vendetta
Suspended in Dusk
Simplicity

* Current all-time favorite

I like Icarus too. I didnt love it but it was fun. I kinda liked the traditional music that was used in different tempoes and done with different instruments. I also liked how every other map was linked with 3 couple different themes, Space Ship, Hell, and Simulation. I also thought the "upside down" map was cool, which emphasized you walking on the ceiling of a building. that was pretty neat.

I enjoyed Icarus and all, but the levels seemed to jump around a bit. One level you're on a ship, and the next thing you know, you're in some kind of demon infested diner. I wasn't quite sure whether you were warping from the ship to the surface of some planet or what.

I also enjoyed soldier's stockpile, but the sprites were a bit of a turn off for me. I noticed that the muzzle flashes for most of the weapons were messed up. If you moved, the flash would be to the side of the screen or somewhere else it shouldn't have been.

1)psychophobia.wad
2)mock 2: speed of stupid
3)Terminator: Unit 9042 Deluxe Edition
4)simpson doom sprite\music\texure replacement
5)the ultimate torment and torture
6)action doom
and 7)KDiZD

Craigs said:

I enjoyed Icarus and all, but the levels seemed to jump around a bit. One level you're on a ship, and the next thing you know, you're in some kind of demon infested diner. I wasn't quite sure whether you were warping from the ship to the surface of some planet or what.

If you had paid attention you would have noticed that you were entering different holodecks or simulations or whatever it was inside the ship. Don't quite recall since I never cared much for Icarus. It was a way for them to make the maps jump about and make little to no sense, and still stick to a "story". I dunno if there ever were any explanation why you went into a load of holodecks while your ship we being invaded by aliens though. Prioritizing R&R I suppose.

Nimrod PD, RTC-3057, Nimrod IotH, AV and Phobia are the only wads I'll play again and enjoy.

leileilol said:

freedoom

I forgot iwads counted, that's not on the top of my list but I do love it.

In no particular order:

Cyberdreams
TNT.WAD
Undersea.wad
UAC_DEAD.wad
STRAIN
Hell Revealed
Deus Vult 2
Cybie.wad and Cybie2.wad, ofc.