Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
robsta2007

skys?

Normally, it's a special flat, F_SKY. The specific sky used in the level will depend on what episode it belongs to.

Usefull little tidbit:

If using GZDoom, you can make a full on 6-sided Skybox using a GLDEFS lump (insert using XWE or SLumpEd).

Uses these syntax in the GLDEFS lump:

skybox <NAME>
{ 
<North lump>
<East lump>
<South lump>
<West lump>
<Top lump>
<Bottom lump>
}
Example:
skybox LAKE
{ 
LAKE_N
LAKE_E
LAKE_S
LAKE_W
LAKE_T
LAKE_B
}
Then just use a MAPINFO lump and tell it to use your GLDEFS defined skybox.
map MAPxx "<Map Name>"
sky1 <Skyname> 0.0
Just another method of doing things. Happy to help (or whatever it is I'm doing).

PM me if any of you want any skyboxes I have in my collection!

Steeveeo said:

GZDoom

Fun Fact(TM): Most Doom mappers don't use GZDoom, and you posting information about it in their threads about general Doom-editing questions isn't going to convert them over to it!

:)

In Doom 1 make patches with names SKY1, SKY2, SKY3 or SKY4 and for Doom 2 make patches with names RSKY1, RSKY2, RSKY3.

esselfortium said:

Fun Fact(TM): Most Doom mappers don't use GZDoom, and you posting information about it in their threads about general Doom-editing questions isn't going to convert them over to it!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Convert? Whos trying to convert? I'm just trying to convince him to use this because its better...err...wait...
[/joking]

Note: I did say at the end of it: "Just another way of doing things"

I also think I used the word "if" a couple times...hmmm...yup.

@FunFact: Maybe not most, but a fair share

robsta2007 said:

hey everone, i just have a quick question, how do you make skies?
.... i mean, how do i make like a outdor map, how do i ably a sky

As myk said, you will use the F_SKY flat for the ceiling of your outdoor area. There are two types of areas with sky ceilings:

1. An area with walls, and whose ceiling opens to the sky.
    2. An area without walls, and whose ceiling opens to the sky. Is seems that you want instructions on this type of area.
You can create a test area as follows:
    1. Begin by opening your map editor to create a new map.
    2. Create a sector with dimensions 256*256.
    3. Make the floor height 0, the ceiling height 0, and the ceiling flat = F_SKY.
    4. Within the first sector create another sector with dimensions 192*192.
    4. Make the ceiling height of this new sector 128.
    5. Insert the Player1 start in this second sector, and save your map.
This is the simplest form of an outdoor area. You will notice that the surrounding area has a sky both for its ceiling as well as its floor. The way to solve this problem is to create a low wall that surrounds the playable area, but obscures the sky-floor. A 40-unit high wall ought to be sufficient.

Ask if you need further instructions.

esselfortium said:

Fun Fact(TM): Most Doom mappers don't use GZDoom

They are irrelevant, they will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

How did this thread get derailed into a discussion on the popularity of GZDooM as a platform for custom wads?

Given robsta2007's original question, I think he's still learning the ropes of editing in vanilla DooM, so it's safe to say that he won't be considering using GZDooM any time soon.

For my part, I think GZDooM is a terrific addition to the stable of DooM source ports. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go out and build me a few maps for GZDooM. [And the derailing continues ....]

I don't use a port, (yet) and I would think F_SKY could be applied as the ceiling and the floor to make a floating section of walls, but then either the ceiling or the floor will have the HOM effect. Any ways around this?