Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeenKyle

the most useless doom weapon

dont know if someone's already mentioned this but what do you think is the most useless doom weapon?

i think that the pistol is really crap, what can you kill with it besides some former humans imps and demons. i know theres some hardcore doomers that kill cybers with pistols but rember when you first play doom and wonder why it takes so many bullets to kill one monster.

There was no need to keep the Shotgun in Doom 2, since they added the SSG. Or at least drop one when you pick up the other. Who would say, "Oh boy, I could kill this Revenant with two blasts, but I'd rather waste time and potentially die while using the shotgun>'

I'd say the most useless weapon would have to be the unberserked fist.

Unlimited ammo, but you have to run up and get in your enemy's face to hit them.

Steeveeo said:

Unlimited ammo, but you have to run up and get in your enemy's face to hit them.

Isn't that... kind of the point of having a fist?

yomoneyboat said:

There was no need to keep the Shotgun in Doom 2, since they added the SSG. Or at least drop one when you pick up the other. Who would say, "Oh boy, I could kill this Revenant with two blasts, but I'd rather waste time and potentially die while using the shotgun>'

I actually like the regular shotgun. I think i've been too accustomed to killing monsters with the ssg that fighting hell knights, revenants, mancubuses, cacos, and arachnatrons with the regular shotgun is fun. Though obviously, the SSG is more effective. But if I'm in an ammo and health friendly map, I like to fight monsters with only the shotgun.

Personally I stay away from the BFG. I dont know what it is about it, but whenever I get it I think to myself "okay im not gonna use this unless i absolutely have to" but I've yet to find a situation I couldnt handle with an SSG.

yomoneyboat said:

There was no need to keep the Shotgun in Doom 2, since they added the SSG.

Except that the Shotgun fires quicker than the SSG - useful against hordes of smaller monsters, and kills smaller enemies with a single shell instead of wasting 2 shells on enemies that don't need it.

Also, shotguns are amazingly useful for long range. Just play a deathmatch against a good opponent on a large open map

Magma_Blaz said:

i think that the pistol is really crap

I know a certain doomer that uses the pistol regularly as an ammo-saving, 100% accurate long range weapon, coupled with entirely disabled autoaim, in ZDoom. Of course, if he has a chaingun he uses that, but the pistol does the job too. Since he has a certain liking for ammo-tight maps, which he also designs, the pistol is essential to his playing style.

I can understand that view, although IMHO it reduces Doom into a sort of precision drilling.

Steeveeo said:

I'd say the most useless weapon would have to be the unberserked fist.

Believe it or not, even this has its uses, although not primarily as a weapon: certain barrel puzzles require you to push some barrels around slightly without exploding, and if you don't want to waste ammo, the unberserked fist is the way to do it.

Maes said:
and if you don't want to waste ammo, the unberserked fist is the way to do it.

Yeah, although you need some space to jump back, as occasionally you can burst a Barrel with a single punch.

just because I said "most useless" doesnt mean I think its useless, its just the least effective of the bunch (no weapon is totally useless)

I say the pistol. Once you have the Chaingun, which usually comes up soon, there isn't really any use for it. The only reason most people use it is because they start with it.

I try to incorporate all the weapons in my dooming experience. Most often, a pair of full SSG shots will slay a cacodemon. Sometimes, if just one pullet misses, it will remain alive. I like to drop all my weapons and give him a good sock in the face to bring him down.

JohnnyRancid said:

Personally I stay away from the BFG. I dont know what it is about it, but whenever I get it I think to myself "okay im not gonna use this unless i absolutely have to" but I've yet to find a situation I couldnt handle with an SSG.

Whenever I get the BFG I feel obligated to use it as soon as possible, even if it's on one Imp. EAT MY CELLS, BITCH!

Non-bezerkered fists.

Anyway, "Most useless" really depends on the level. You could be given a rocket launcher in a very cramped map, where if you use it you end up blowing yourself up. It's pretty useless there, but not useless in other maps.

Coopersville said:

I say the pistol. Once you have the Chaingun, which usually comes up soon, there isn't really any use for it. The only reason most people use it is because they start with it.

Hmm...now that I think of it, the ammo-tight maps fan I mentioned before will of course privilege the pistol over the chaingun, if he needs to use just one bullet at a time.

I'm not kidding, he will snipe at stuff with the CG to do the heavy part of the job (with controlled, one-button bursts of course) but he will switch to the pistol to deliver the final blows, especially vs weak targets such as imps or zombies. It would be a shame wasting that one extra bullet for nothing :-p

Well personally I would say the chainsaw. It's not really used that often, except in tyson style, but then I prefer the berzerk so it's only really useful in maps with a chainsaw but no berzerk, which are less common. The normal shotgun is another choice because most maps have a ssg and enough ammo to use it, or else chaingun works pretty well when you don't want to waste ammo with ssg.

udderdude said:
Anyway, "Most useless" really depends on the level. You could be given a rocket launcher in a very cramped map, where if you use it you end up blowing yourself up. It's pretty useless there, but not useless in other maps.

The BFG could also gather some degree of uselessness in a mostly open level played in Cooperative (while not using the friendly fire immunity if it's available, of course).

There is no universally useless weapon. Even the unbeserked fist and the pistol are important to gameplay (tyson runs for example). It depends on the map and the player. Though tbh the chainsaw comes pretty close to being useless.

i agree that most the weapons are effective in certain conditions of the map but i realy use the pistol only if im finishing of a monster.

John Smith said:

There is no universally useless weapon. Even the unbeserked fist and the pistol are important to gameplay (tyson runs for example). It depends on the map and the player. Though tbh the chainsaw comes pretty close to being useless.

Chainsaw is awesome, I use it on lost souls and Pain elementals all the time. can kill revenants in most cases too. If I were to make a megawad, I'd make the first few maps overly dependent on the chainsaw and pistol.

Coopersville said:

I love to take out imps with the SG, and occationally I will get a bad hit and the imp is left alive. Generally It'll be enough to whip out the pistol and fire a killing shot in (my mind) it's head. >:D

For me, things like that makes all the difference when you play.

I've never felt that any of the weapons are in the slightest useless. They all got their uses, and Doom would be a lesser game w/o them.

I would say the BFG due to the fact it is kinda like cheating unless the level is totally packed with enemies, even then its more fun to shoot them down with some other weapon.
The pistol is handy for long rang sniper shots.

The pistol is an excellent sniping weapon, individual taps of the fire button at just the right speed make it 100% accurate, good for knocking out weaker, distant enemies and using just the right amount of shots to kill them, no more.

The shotgun is also pretty good at medium range, especially on larger enemies. Only the spider mastermind can recieve the full effect of an SSG blast at anything other than point-blank range, and that's only because it's vast. Plus it only uses one shot, try SSGing a lot of spread-out imps on a balanced map and see how well you get on

Hmmm, I'll just look at which weapon I use least of all... it'd have to be the pistol. It's rendered obsolete when compared to a chaingun. As for ammo conservation - I never play maps that are as ammo-tight as to require you to save EVERY bullet.

For the heck of it, I'll add a list of when I use each weapon or when I don't.

Normal fist
I only use this one on Tyson runs before the berserk pack and sometimes when I'm extremely low on (read: out of) ammo. It's ability to suppress fire from enemies is poor; it's a tad too slow to prevent Lost Souls and Imps from attacking. It can be used on single Demons, but only if you have room for it and no other distractions.

Berserk fist
You can kill most enemies, even groups of them with this weapon simply because it's that powerful - average damage of 110. You do need skill and fancy footworks to avoid getting hit.

Chainsaw
Not a useless weapon, at all! Easily kills most small enemies and even Cacodemons without retaliation. Only the bruisers are a bad choice for their insensitivity to pain. Mancubi and Arach's go down without a fight (mostly).
Unlike the berserk fist, you shouldn't use the chainsaw against groups of enemies because it requires you to stay in place during the attack. You can try to cirlce around a victim during an attack to avoid other attacks, but it's not as safe as swooping in with a quick berserk strike.

Pistol
As I've said earlier, this weapon has the least uses IMO. It is better than the normal fist, but I don't use the pistol in Tyson (for a greater challenge). The only advantage it has over the chaingun is, as others have said, the ammo conservation, however the effect is so small that in my gameplay style, it is negligible.

Shotgun
I actually use this weapon over the SSG a lot, since it is more accurate and also conserves ammo. It also fires faster, which may be an advantage when facing multiple threats.

Super Shotgun
I can't avoid using this weapon most of the time. It's just that useful against many enemies in many situations. I use it against most tough enemies, when they're alone or in small groups. The inaccuracy makes it less efficient at longer range.

Chaingun
Relatively weak weapon which does prevent small groups of weaker enemies to retaliate. It can also be used to suppress fire on single, stronger enemies, but it won't inflict as much damage as the SSG.

Rocket launcher
Can be used against strong enemies or groups of weak ones... but only with sufficient range! Another pro is that you can hop out of cover for one quick round and back again. Its damage is actually comparable to the SSG, but it does fire faster, making it more damaging overall. It's also very accurate. Its drawbacks are that it can't be used in close combat, its ineffectivity against the bosses and its inefficiency against lone weak enemies.

Plasma rifle
I use this one mainly against groups of stronger enemies, one at a time. It suppresses fire and does quite a lot of damage, so it supercedes the chaingun in many ways. The main drawback here is that you have to keep facing the enemy, making it impossible to cover during barrages. This can be particularly dangerous against Cyberdemons in small areas. Another drawback is that it completely blocks your vision when firing, so it's more difficult to see other attacks.

Big Fuckin' Gun 9000
This one is very useful against two types of threats: hordes of small enemies and small groups of bosses. The major trick here is to hide behind cover, fire the weapon, let the ball explode on the wall and then emerge from cover at just the right timing. You can hit the enemy while only giving up your cover for a split second. Also, it just mows through large groups of smaller enemies, provided you have enough ammo for the job. I also use it to jump on Arch-Viles. The main drawback is that it's a waste of ammo in less extreme situations.

Barrels, crushers and infighting
Whenever the opportunity presents itself! :P

The fist is pretty useless due to the fact that monsters are alerted if you punch. Why didn't the programmers just make it so that monsters can't hear you punch?

Lizardcommando said:

The fist is pretty useless due to the fact that monsters are alerted if you punch. Why didn't the programmers just make it so that monsters can't hear you punch?

I always wondered that too. How can the monsters hear you punching air, but not hear your footsteps ONE FREAKING INCH behind them?

JohnnyRancid said:

Chainsaw is awesome, I use it on lost souls and Pain elementals all the time. can kill revenants in most cases too. If I were to make a megawad, I'd make the first few maps overly dependent on the chainsaw and pistol.

Strange, if I ever finished the tc I'd like to make I'd dehack the chainsaw into a totally new weapon. :P

yomoneyboat said:

I always wondered that too. How can the monsters hear you punching air, but not hear your footsteps ONE FREAKING INCH behind them?

Easy, the Doomguy hovers and has a hydralic punching arm.