Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jinx

High quality original doom sound tracks, can doom be made to play them?

I got the original high quality sound tracks from Bobby Prince, they sound so much better, it would be nice if there was a mod to make the original dooms play it over the old crummy sound, not that I cant appreciate the old quality but this would be much better.

Unless a mod like that already came out..

I doubt it, Ive been using skulltag and I never noticed any option that allows it.

What are these "high quality doom sound tracks"?

If you want the music to play like Bobby Prince's CD (or his MP3s, but these are degraded by compression) get a Roland SC sound card.

Various engines do play MP3s, though. JDoom and ZDoom certainly do, as well as many of their offshoots.

oh, guess its a console command cuz I never actually seen any visible options, or maybe I just didnt look hard enough?

but can you make it select the right one for each level before you get ingame?

Jinx said:

oh, guess its a console command cuz I never actually seen any visible options, or maybe I just didnt look hard enough?

but can you make it select the right one for each level before you get ingame?

I'm almost certain you have to make an external PWAD with the music files in it and load it on startup of whatever port you're using.

yomoneyboat said:

I'm almost certain you have to make an external PWAD with the music files in it and load it on startup of whatever port you're using.

Any idea how difficult that would be to actually do?. I wouldnt mind learning if it aint too hard or time consuming.

hahaha, I just saw The Rock up on the banner, didnt that doom movie turn out to be complete shit?.

lol I had a buddy in hs who watched wwf, I felt kind of sorry for him, he'd be like "ppl think its fake".

ok I'll stop sidetracking my post, I just thought it was lol material. =P

Jinx said:

lol I had a buddy in hs who watched wwf, I felt kind of sorry for him, he'd be like "ppl think its fake".

Fail! :P

Ok Im slowly figuring out how to do this with a little help from someone, you download http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/ wad editor.

Make a new wad and rename all the mp3s accordingly, like d_e1m1, d_e1m2 ect http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music, then Entry>Load (raw data) select all mp3s and exit program.

Make a new folder called "skins" and put the wad in there and vuala. Assuming your using Skulltag but the others probably work the same if not get Skulltag anyways as its the best port in my opinion.

It's nice to see the topic getting back on...topic.

Jinx, getting a bunch of MP3 or OGG files in a PWAD is not hard, nor is it something revolutionary or never done before. For us grunts with run-off-the-mill integrated soundcards, the most viable and effort-less solution would be to do just that: a PWAD with MP3 or OGG to use in an advanced source port. Some port-dependant scripting may be required to play the compressed audio instead of the music lumps, but that's not too hard.

Making a CD from uncompressed audio...not really worth the effort unless you think you're a "golden ear". Trust me, you are not. It's not even classical music, it's something you'll play on top (or below) grunts, screams and gunshots.

A port-independent way would be just to get a full array of MIDI instruments (I mean MIDI racks, not patches) to match Bobby Princes' and use standard MIDI playback under all ports, including vanilla. Too bad that this is probably a too expensive solution, when there aren't hardware issues, too. Sure, an ISA Roland soundcard may sound just like the real thing, but try using it on a PC made after 1996....good luck.

A soundcard with hardware support for sound patches like the AWE32 (unfortunately, ISA bus) or others like the PCI Yamaha Waveforce may work even in a DOS environment with vanilla Doom, but it takes a lot of effort to set them up, assuming you can get hold of the correct MIDI instrument patches.

An integrated soundcard or one without hardware acceleration, on a system that can use a soft synth like Timidity will do the job too with correct patches, but that automatically means GHZ+ class machines, Windows environment and almost certainly using a source port or DOSBOX (again, GHZ+ class machine required).

lol it is hard if you where me, no idea where to begin, and I never thought it was revolutionary or never done before, it was just an idea

a lot of ppl had no idea how to do it at least I gave step-by-step solution just incase anyone else might want to do something similar

anyways thx for the info