Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawklord

WAD design and playability

Hiya folks... i'm still working on my spaceship wad. anyway, forget that for now.

I've seen loads of thread answers advising on texture improvement but I don't think I've ever seen a response saying something like "I think this wad would be more user-friendly if an extra box of shells was put near the first slime pit." (for example.)

So, what about playability? I know professionals diversify (ie teams) but I wondered if it also happens at the amateur build level. Say, someone designs a wad and someone else places the oppo and ammo, and then others roadtest it. Does that happen at all?

In my case, i have no team (i like it that way), and for weap placement and spawn points (or enemies) mostly i try to avoid other mappers errors... That is a good formula, i think...

Just dont forget the creativity.

So, just watch and play many many wads. Thats the only solution i think.

Playtesting happens all the time. Everybody posts work in progress. There are a lot of maps that look good on the surface, but the author tended to make it with his own playing style in mind.

Hell, I only realized a few weeks ago that people don't like waiting for doors to open in multiplayer maps...

In my opinion, DM levels should be designed with the approximate thing placement in mind already, but obviously tweaking can be done after the fact. Mapping events that aren't "team" based can help you learn to plan in regards to that, or generally posting WIPs and asking for advice.

hawklord said:

So, what about playability? I know professionals diversify (ie teams) but I wondered if it also happens at the amateur build level. Say, someone designs a wad and someone else places the oppo and ammo, and then others roadtest it. Does that happen at all?

sounds like it might make a fun challenge for a future 32in24! :>

but yeah, it's been known. one of my duel maps i had a total mental block with (other than the BFG placement) so i called in a friend who's a great player but doesn't map - i sent him a pic of the map and he drew on the items :p
we're still tossing it back and forth but it's pretty finalised and plays very well.

i'm of the opinion that virtually any layout can be made good with the correct item and player start positioning.

Bucket said:

Hell, I only realized a few weeks ago that people don't like waiting for doors to open in multiplayer maps...

heh, generally yes. so you work that to your advantage.
doors are great things to chuck into Doom1 or Heretic maps especially, where you really need to slow the players down due to the weapons available.

Cybershark said:

i'm of the opinion that virtually any layout can be made good with the correct item and player start positioning.

What about Wow.wad? I don't think any amount of thing placement would help that.

John Smith said:

your wad will play better with more scripts. no exceptions

Yes!!! Also be sure to add lensflares and slopes to every room, and 6000 borders to every surface!! It is the only way to make a good Doom level, trust me!

Its a good thing when people comment on my levels (good or bad) because this lets me adjust it to what I like and what the fans want. The only comments I discard are flames or really bad ideas (example things that have no point). As for playability, it is a very important subject, the proper amount of ammo and heath are a major factor in the stability of a level!

Playtest tweak playtest. Eat negative criticism for breakfast. Playtest tweak playtest. Let ideas play around in your head for a few days. Playtest tweak playtest.