Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bartwart

Help with Eternal doom. Stuck for almost 2 years!

I'm on map 2. I have the blue key but I can't find anything else, legally! IDDT reveals a whole bunch of shit in the cavern walls but I don't know how to get in there without cheating. What do I do? I've been stuck here for two years!! :O

I'm currently using Zdoom 2.0.63.

I seem to recall there is a very well-hidden switch in map02 - a cross on a wall somewhere, but I don't remember all the specifics.

Anyway, I suggest you get the Eternal demo pack from http://www.teamtnt.com/ctr_demo.htm. It contains nomonsters help demos in addition to Max demos, etc. That should solve the problem. Use Doom2.exe, Prboom or Eternity to watch them.

Have you found the switch in the eastern part of the level? It's a little X on the stone wall and quite easy to miss.

For sure get the demos from the team tnt page.

You will quickly have your answer as well as some of the best recorded playing around.

Demos are so very valuable to finding out about levels and even see tips about improving one's own gameplay.

Grazza said:

I seem to recall there is a very well-hidden switch in map02 - a cross on a wall somewhere, but I don't remember all the specifics.

I found it. Thank you!

LOL. I also got stuck at map 29 for years. Solved it finally. Then got stuck again at the last level. So I still haven't finished Eternal Doom -- after 10 years. I watched the demos and still couldn't figure out how to beat it. Because the maps are so big and the "tricks" are so intricately designed, it's hard to tell even by looking at the demos how exactly something should be done.

Is there any text walkthrough??? I looked up Doom wiki but there's nothing there.

Jodwin said:
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-bump!

It seems okay to me, since he had something to say on topic. It even inspired him to start participating in the forum (his first post). Bumping is particularly bad when it's pointless, motivated merely to add postcount, or to reactivate theads for interested reasons.

cwy said:
Is there any text walkthrough???

I don't recall one, and with the wad's length it would be quite extensive. Your best bet for help should be recordings, either the ones Grazza linked to above, or look here.

Text walkthru plus map layout diagram for every map would be nice -- or maybe just for the tougher maps.

Thanks for the link, but if they are the same demos as those at TeamTNT, I've already seen them, and sadly they didn't help. The maps are just too big and the actions can be complicated -- the "cause and effect" are not always clear. I need those pointed out to me in text.

I accidentally solved map29 and didn't really know what I did.

I got about half way through Eternal Doom before I finally just got so sick of wandering through the same halls over and over again trying to find the switch or cracked wall or whatever I needed to finish the level.

I would suggest looking at the maps in an editor if you want to find out what triggers what. (I always find WadAuthor nice and simple for this purpose, but if you already have a preferred editor program that you're familiar with, then you'll probably do best using that.) I don't know of any text walkthroughs, and even if there were, they would be inordinately complex, and probably no more likely to help you.

^ Listen to this man. I had to do that on all the big levels my first time through ... 12, 30, 31, etc.

And even on level 30 I had to use a demo =O

(Offtopic: Can't wait 'til the fourth one comes out ... )

Eternal Doom was the first PWAD I played after the Original Doom levels and it totally blew me away. I still have fond memories of it.

What's the new fourth one?

It's mentioned on teamtnt.com ... judging by the last update and amount of time between 'em, I'd guess they're working on it.

I think i once got as far as the hotel (one map in a castle pissed me off, you had to do loads and loads of shit to get the yellow key, and then backtrack over the whole map to find all these yellow switches, which "activated" other yellow switches near the end, i just clipped into the ones near the end). I swear i tried EVERYTHING that looked even slightly different, both humping and shooting, and still couldnt progress

Most likely you are talking about map 12. It takes hours to figure that thing out.

Some of those maps really piss me off, because the are so very complex. I did really enjoy them after staying with it tho'.

Quasar said:

I'm guessing that Eternal 4 will be zdoom-only, right?

Don't quote me on this, but I think I heard somewhere that it will.

The only other thing you might do to better understand the route used by the doomer in the demo is to activate the "light" cheat (idbeholdl) while you're watching it. Sometimes, particularly in darker levels, the player is moving so fast through the map that it's harder to see how he may have gotten from one place to another in certain areas. But I'll also have to agree with Grazza when you're having trouble finding a secret. A wad editor is your best bet, especially when there are no demos to be found for the level.

bartwart said:

I'm on map 2. I have the blue key but I can't find anything else, legally! IDDT reveals a whole bunch of shit in the cavern walls but I don't know how to get in there without cheating. What do I do? I've been stuck here for two years!! :O

I'm currently using Zdoom 2.0.63.

Heh you got stuck there, that just proves Eternal Doom rules! Wait till you get further, its gonna be a son of a bitch... BTW I have to say Eternal Doom was one of the best levels/mega-wads I have ever played and one of the reasons I kept mapping!

But, as has been said, it was an on-topic bump about something there's not much point on making a whole new thread for. I assume the losering was for something else