Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rich77

fav music

What music does everybody like here? I like metal. My fav bands are Rammstein, Soundgarden, Audioslave and Emigrate. I also play guitar.

Heh, I wish I had a dollar for every one of these "music" post's I have seen!
Black/death metal... What else would a true doomer listen to...? :P
BTW rich, do you map, guitar does not help much here (unless you some how record your own doom music). :)

Stealthy Ivan said:

My own personal opinions on that particular genre of "music" aside, I myself am more of an industrial/EBM/synth guy.

OK, maybe I will say something about black/death metal...since when did being a fan of DOOM automatically mean you're a metalhead?

I'm new to the world of forums, but have been a fan of doom for years, so my first thread isn't gonna be original or the best is it. I mentioned playing guitar so it's something to chat about, I wasn't bragging, I'm quite shit, but I just wanted to mention it. And I'm glad that their are alot of doom fans that like metal. Can't stand pop or dance. Oh yeah, I have doom builder so I like to make maps, but I'm no good.

I pretty much like anything, including rap and country. EBM/Futurepop, older heavy metal like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, techno/trance, JPop, JRock, "classical"...those are the styles that I tend to listen to the most. If you were to get into my car at any given moment, you'd have a 90%-95% chance of hearing VNV Nation or Judas Priest coming out of the speakers.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Black/death/doom metal suck. ;)

I prefer Onmyo-za*, traditional (mostly east Asian) music and video game music. And Finnish rock. And Neko Mimi Mode*. =^.^=

*utube

You like Rammstein? Bloody awesome band. I saw them live in Cardiff 2 years ago. Compared to alot of today's bands, they stand out as unique. And I like abit of classic, love Abba music, sweet, good glam rock 70's band that my mother met. Actually I do like quite abit of 80's pop, like Gary Numan, but not today's over rated manufactured rubbish.

There's not much music that I don't like, though the genre I pursue most often is metal. The music I hate the most, on the other hand, is usually very specific (I'm looking at you, James Blunt, Hinder, Nickelback, etc. for making songs that makes me want to turn off the radio but the rest of the people in the car want to sing along to... god damn).

I listen to pretty much anything that sounds good, I don't pay much mind to genres anymore. The only genre I universally can't stand is new country (as opposed to folk/bluegrass). I also don't have much of a liking for rap or metal, but in each I find some great exceptions. Recently I've mostly been listening to jazz fusion, psychadelia, blues, and some symphonic stuff. I should probably just list all my favorite bands:

The Legendary Pink Dots (my absolute favorite)
The Tear Garden
Frank Zappa
The Beatles
Steely Dan
Gary Numan
ohGr
Vangelis
Cake
Soundgarden
Type O Negative
Skinny Puppy
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Nine Inch Nails
Jethro Tull
The Moody Blues
Alice in Chains
Temple of the Dog
Monster Magnet
Ludwig van Beethoven
Radiohead
Pink Floyd

Those are my big-time favorites. I also dig The Who, Jimi Hednrix, Simon and Garfunkel, The Velvet Underground, Nirvana, Depeche Mode, Devo, Marilyn Manson, KMFDM, Pop Will Eat Itself, Coil, Download, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Dire Straits, Failure, Led Zeppelin, Wendy Carlos, Santana, The Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones, and The Soft Machine too, in a more casual manner. Can you tell I love music? Check this out as well.

Sadly I don't play any instrument, but I'd love to learn piano (know a little), sax, hand drum, or guitar.

13.3GB

That's just my personal music folder, not taking into account my video game music, tracks I don't listen to, and other stuff.

Here are the CDs I've bothered to rip:

Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland - Showdown!
    Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session
    Autores Chilenos - Charango
    B.B. King - Live in Cook County Jail
    Beastie Boys - The In Sound From Way Out!
    Blue Man Group - Audio
    Blue Man Group - The Complex
    Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues
    Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Alone & Acoustic
    Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Play the Blues
    Buddy Guy - Stone Crazy
    Eliot Fisk - Paganini - 24 Caprices, Arr. for Guitar
    Grupo Raíz - Amaneceres
    Grupo Raíz - Por America del Centro
    Grupo Raíz - Un Solo Camino
    Jerry Garcia & David Grisman - Jerry Garcia - David Grisman
    Jimi Hendrix - Blues
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right to Suffer
    John Lee Hooker - The Healer
    Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
    Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin' Hopkins
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Pearl Jam - Live on Two Legs
    Quijeremá - Tinta Verde
    Rafael Manríquez & Quique Cruz - Amistades - Friendships
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Jupiter)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Mars)
    Roy Rogers & Norton Buffalo - R & B
    Roy Rogers & Norton Buffalo - Roots of Our Nature
    Roy Rogers & Norton Buffalo - Travellin' Tracks
    Roy Rogers - Slideways
    Roy Rogers & The Delta Rhythm Kings - Live!
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Couldn't Stand the Weather
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - In Step
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Soul To Soul
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Texas Flood
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - The Sky Is Crying
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV Box Set (disc 1)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV Box Set (disc 2)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV Box Set (disc 3)
    Terry Robb - When I Play My Blues Guitar
    Tom Waits - Mule Variations
    Van Morrison - Moondance
I'd like to expand my blues collection, but I'm poor.

meh, why not.

I'm mostly into metal(most genres). I also enjoy classical, reggae, celtic/medieval music, techno/trance, salsa, and some hip hop.

my top 5 favorite bands are GWAR, Amon Amarth, Guns n' Roses, Pantera, and Kreator

Favorite bands (and my favorite songs) atm:

Killswitch Engage (Temple From the Within)
In Flames (Dead End)
Emperor (Thus Spake the Nightspirit; In the Wordless Chamber; Empty; The Loss and Curse of Reverence)
As I Lay Dying (Morning Waits)
Pantera (Suicide Note, Pt. 2)
Shadows Fall (The Light That Blinds)
Hypocrisy (Warpath)

Being a trumpet player I gotta give props to Allen Vizutti's "Carnival of Venus" which is one of, if not, the most difficult piece ever for trumpet.

Bashe said:

13.3GB

That's just my personal music folder, not taking into account my video game music, tracks I don't listen to, and other stuff.

Meh, my collection is at 38GB right now. Still ripping CDs, though. That's also not including my collection of files I have only in FLAC format, or my iTunes files.

rich77 said:

I also play guitar.

Well if you're into Doom hobby you can record some MP3s and use it in wads for MP3/OGG supporting ports like Eternity or ZDoom. Like listening to music made by instruments not computer effects.

I like music with good melody-rythm-instrument-voice balance. I hate coughy, copied, unfinished, repetitive melodies made with silly boring run of the mill lyrics, because only lyrics are taken care of by simple ears. This applies to any genre. I won't name bands, though.

Danarchy said:

I listen to pretty much anything that sounds good, I don't pay much mind to genres anymore.

Quite right too. Disliking, or liking, something just because it is of a certain genre is an indication immaturity and a closed and bigoted mind. If you like it, then listen to it. If you don't, then don't. Who gives a shit what someone had pigeon-holed the music as? Why cut yourself off from something you might like just because someone says its "music type X"?

Personally, I too have a very wide range of musical tastes - and I always have had. I'll give anything a go and, if I like what I hear, I'll keep listening. What I have noticed is that the songs which are generally regarded as good, as a cut above the rest, usually do have something about them that makes them good and makes them worth listening to, regardless of what genre they are apparently in. Even an artist who usually makes music that I find quite awful can, occasionally, pull a gem out of somewhere and I will quite happily listen to it.

As for the supposed link between Doom and metal: I think that's as much of a comment on the kind of people commonly playing Doom as the kind of music that actually goes with the game. There are a lot of "metalheads" playing Doom and, naturally, they will enjoy hearing metal as they blow away hellspawn.

Project Playlist ftw, which includes a few tracks from the following list, plus some other stuff I like:

The Prodigy
Aphex Twin
Propellerheads
Pendulum
Disturbed
Slayer
Machine Head
Drowning Pool
Rob Zombie
Rammstein
System of a Down
AK1200
Hive
Squarepusher
Veracocha
Mike Koglin
System F
Ralph Fridge
Apollo 440
Chicane
BT
Sash
Daft Punk
Fatboy Slim
Republica
Blur
Oasis
Green Day
Placebo
Garbage

My collection is 70GB and generally consists of all kinds of metal (be it thrash, death, power, black, traditional etc), and a few oddities here and there (Ulver, Reel Big Fish, SOAD etc.)

BEST FAVOURITES 4EVA: Edge Of Sanity, Impaled, Exodus, Overkill, Razor, Sodom, Sonata Arctica and some others.

Enjay said:

As for the supposed link between Doom and metal: I think that's as much of a comment on the kind of people commonly playing Doom as the kind of music that actually goes with the game. There are a lot of "metalheads" playing Doom and, naturally, they will enjoy hearing metal as they blow away hellspawn.

Yeah, personally I've always thought the best Doom soundtracks were Pretty Hate Machine, by NIN and Egodram by Das Ich, both of which would be categorized as industrial.

yomoneyboat said:

Holy everloving shit, how many gigs is that collection taking up?

Heh, I currently have 2,619 tracks on my playlist.

Metallica
Morbid Angel
Distubed
Trivium
Dimmu Borgir
Rammstein
Within Temptation
Metal Church
Manowar
Megadeth
Marilyn Manson
Lacuna Coil