Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

What is your favorite fan made wad ever?

GothicDM/Gothic2/Gothic99, Crucified Dreams, The Darkening E2, Sapphire, TNT03

Maes said:
Deus Vult 2

I'm guessing you're a beta tester, or else I missed the release...

myk said:

Or fulla crap.

My favourites

AV
Cchest
Cchest2
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Scythe
Scythe 2
Mock2

This is including any MODS, TCs, etc. I'm guessing.

Mods and such:

Immoral Conduct
Batman Doom
Zan Zan

Level sets:

Talosian Incident
Hell Revealed series
Cleimos II

I just ran through Eternal Doom very quickly yesterday (as in did the first and 6th levels, guessed what the game would be like, and noclipped through 30-32) and it didn't really all seem that special.

Of course, when taking into account when the WAD was originally made, I can see just what made it so popular then.

But, how does it fare today? I'm not totally convinced by it. Loads of people in this thread saying it's one of their favourite WADs, but, to me (apart from the fact that all the levels are quite big), it just looks like your typical old-school megawad...

...or in other words, I wouldn't play through it ever all the way through simply because I would get too bored.

EDIT: Typo's, spelling

BoldEnglishman said:

I just ran through Eternal Doom very quickly yesterday (as in did the first and 6th levels, guessed what the game would be like, and noclipped through 30-32) and it didn't really all seem that special.

Of course, when taking into account when the WAD was originally made, I can see just what made it so popular then.

Although this is a bit off-topic, I have to agree. I never found the gameplay in Eternal Doom to be anything special. It is a nice looking wad and certainly shows plenty of effort, but that alone means little.

Well I used to play all the newschool stuff like Ultimate Simplicity and Scythe 2 and Alien Vendetta because I used to go around looking for "THE NEWEST BEST MEGAWADS EVER" and I can't lie, their all VERY good, but I've been getting into a lot more older wads, such as STRAIN, and Aliens TC, and Momento Mori and I think they all have the originality and direction that I love to play. The more I play Eternal Doom the more and more it's like Hexen. (Lots of key hunts, switch quests, and secret searching) and towards the middle it's generally getting somewhat easier. But I really enjoyed how threatening every monster was when I first played the first few levels I think it's that playing eternal doom, and being my first experience with it, it really grabbed a good hold of my attention.

John Smith said:
I have never played Momento Mori. Is it rather like Memento Mori?

A moment please, let me check, as my memory isn't helping...

Aliens TC (original)
Heroes2.wad
egypt.wad (+extra.wad (graphics & textures))
cskg_57b.wad
crazyed2.wad
Doom Must Fall (omf3057 spoof)

John Smith said:

I have never played Momento Mori. Is it rather like Memento Mori?

Blasted Latin...

Simplicity
Memento mori
RTC-3057
KDIZD
Hell's twisted influence pt2
ZBloodpack
STRAIN
TVR!
Herian 2

JohnnyRancid said:

Well I used to play all the newschool stuff like Ultimate Simplicity and Scythe 2 and Alien Vendetta because I used to go around looking for "THE NEWEST BEST MEGAWADS EVER" and I can't lie, their all VERY good, but I've been getting into a lot more older wads, such as STRAIN, and Aliens TC, and Momento Mori and I think they all have the originality and direction that I love to play. The more I play Eternal Doom the more and more it's like Hexen. (Lots of key hunts, switch quests, and secret searching) and towards the middle it's generally getting somewhat easier. But I really enjoyed how threatening every monster was when I first played the first few levels I think it's that playing eternal doom, and being my first experience with it, it really grabbed a good hold of my attention.

I followed the same path when I first discovered Doomworld and registered to the boards.

The very first PWAD I've played was Eternal Doom 3 that was well hidden in a magazine CD circa 1998 and is still today my #1 wad, that must be for sentimental reasons... Then much later I played all TeamTNT's stuff including Daedalus (discovering ZDoom at the same time) and, then random ones like Osiris or Hellraiser TC.
Then I came here...

myk said:

-_- my bad, I always confuse the game Deus Ex with the WAD Deus Vult. I meant my favourite map is Deus Vult ofc., which doesn't have a part 1 and 2.

There are a bunch that I like, as well as lots that I haven't played, but my favorites so far are Equinox, Scythe II, and Phobos. I also like The Sky May Be although it's rather annoying to play.

DooM:

Unholy Trinity
Star wars Doom
Aliens TC
Fava Beans
Simply Phobos
Crusaders
KDiZD
gamarra soul story for some reason

DooM 2:
Claustrophobia - When the walls close in
Alien Vendetta