Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve_88

Does Anyone Review wads?

Hi i'm new to the forums, does anyone do reviews, i was wondering if someone does if they would want to review mine.

The Newstuff FAQ said:

They do reviews every sunday, or thereabouts.

Heh

Yeah no shit, new stuff seems dead, I am almost afraid to upload to new stuff any more due to the fact I feel I'm wasting my time... I still have a level (Enslaved) in there that has yet to be reviewed. Thats why if you want a level I'm making I'll E-mail it to you.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Yeah no shit, new stuff seems dead.

No, they are just extremely late like always. Give like 1 new stuff in a month and a half time. And many of those reviews are not so great with many of them consisting of only 3-4 lines. That is not a review in any way, the only time a such a short review should be made is when the wad
the reviewer is talking about is utter crap. I would like to see a community reviewer site of some sort......allot

Stealthy Ivan said:

Yeah no shit, new stuff seems dead, I am almost afraid to upload to new stuff any more due to the fact I feel I'm wasting my time...

I think you can always advertise your unnewstuffed wad in this forum, right?

Stealthy Ivan said:

Yeah no shit, new stuff seems dead, I am almost afraid to upload to new stuff any more due to the fact I feel I'm wasting my time...

If you're making maps so someone can review them then yes, you are wasting your time.

deathzor is working on the next /ns as we speak.

Of course, someone could always volunteer...

I like Ismaele's site (if that's how you spell it) for reviews, only problem is the list of reviewed wads is quite limited. Good work though Ismael.

*mumble whisper* I volunteer! *promptly gets kicked out by a huge brutal bodyguard*

If I have spare time at weekends (which is quite often) I would review wads happily.

Use3D said:

If you're making maps so someone can review them then yes, you are wasting your time.

Thats sad... I said/PM'ed to Deathz0r I would help with reviews since I had spare time... WTF's with this place anymore, I'm sure there are plenty of maps to review..? Did not mean to double post please delete the first one. :(

Actually, having feedback is the best way to improve yourself at mapping/designing.

Stealthy Ivan said:
Thats sad...

Thinking that the archive is useless or pointless because there are few or no newstuff chronicles is what is sad, in a pathetic way. The newstuff chronicles aren't necessarily "promotional" anyway, they just do reviews, which may be quite critical sometimes, leading people to NOT play your wad.

The database has a comments system, so if you really want people to know about your wad, make a thread about it, with a link to the finished version or a beta, and encourage people to comment or review, either here or (if it's finished and on idgames) in the comments system at the database.

myk said:

The database has a comments system, so if you really want people to know about your wad, make a thread about it, with a link to the finished version or a beta, and encourage people to comment or review, either here or (if it's finished and on idgames) in the comments system at the database.

Thanks, I will look into that, and BTW "sad" was the wrong word to use, I was just sad that it takes forever for newstuff to update cause I wanted my wad reviewed, thats all. :) Peoples opinions of my level are what makes me a better mapper. I take peoples opinions seriously.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Thanks, I will look into that, and BTW "sad" was the wrong word to use, I was just sad that it takes forever for newstuff to update cause I wanted my wad reviewed

New stuff always takes way to long. Sometimes a month or more.

Stealthy Ivan said:

I take peoples opinions seriously.

Even the crappy ones? Most of the reviews on the comments in the /idgames are just plain spam.

hardcore_gamer said:

New stuff always takes way to long. Sometimes a month or more.

Even the crappy ones? Most of the reviews on the comments in the /idgames are just plain spam.

Just because someone doesnt like your wad, doesnt mean its spam. And if it is, there is a report abuse feature at the bottom of the page.

Yo I'll do newstuff! I always wanted to review wads. I'll be totally honest and serious too. Do I need like a resume or something to review wads, because I am very well at describing wads and how good they are in the form of words, i jsut dont know how to prove it.

EANB said:

Just because someone doesnt like your wad, doesnt mean its spam.

What is that suppose to mean? I have had good reviews to. I mean comments that say nothing about what the author of the comment thinks about the wad and what he likes and dislikes. Its called a review for a reason. and being rude is never something a good reviewer should do. Reviewers should try be a little more kind to people that are trying to map but fail at there current efforts instead of telling them to fuck off and quit mapping forever (i have seen these kind of messages a thousand times so don't pretend like people are not that rude on the /idgames). If someone spends there time and effort creating something for YOU to play than people should be thankful for that instead of acting like a spoiled brats that never see the trouble and effort people go through when creating something fun to play, even if they may not be very good at it (oh! I am not talking about my self by the way!)

Be polite and people will be polite to you damnit!

I've seen many insightful comments on the database. If you want to dwell on the nasty ones like a whiny bitch, that's your problem. In any case, in general they are not really harsher that the chronicles themselves.

myk said:

I've seen many insightful comments on the database. If you want to dwell on the nasty ones like a whiny bitch, that's your problem. In any case, in general they are not really harsher that the chronicles themselves.

I never said all of them were bad, i said many of them are. And why does it make my a whiny bitch wanting people to be polite in there reviews? There is nothing wrong with that.

Actually I must admit there is alot of spam on the /idgames (but why wouldn't there be).

Too often, while downloading a level, I read a couple of the reviews and most are along the line of:

"This is great!"
"UUUUU SUCKSSSS!"
"poor attempt at level ws 2 easy hahahah"

Nobody said spam was JUST the negative "reviews" in idgames, as stated above, with someone just saying "was a good level", it's like... OK thanks but is there anyway I could improve it? Anything you particularly thought was cool or hated with a vengeance? What was the ammo/monster placement like?

Mind you, spam is everywhere, and people are just really thick and/or malicious enough to go out of their way and tell you how much they hate you.

I use those tiny little reviews to tell if the map im about to download is good.

The reviews don't matter. If the wad sucks, oh well, that's just 5 minutes wasted. Life goes on.

Newstuff is the most important part of the Doom community. That's where most people download and play new maps and that is exactly what gets people making maps in the first place. The only maps I play are ones I see on newstuff.

It just so happens people can not be arsed putting a newstuff together besides the odd half-assed one every 2 months. And that's not because of a lack of wads either. The last newstuff was like 40 wads and the next one will probably be the same as well.

JohnnyRancid said:

I am very well at describing wads

engrish!

I think the best thing to do is to put some screenshots of your wad on any image hosting site, and put the wad in /idgames or any other hosting. Then make a new thread about it, and get some input from the community.

EDIT: oops double post

BoldEnglishman:
Nobody said spam was JUST the negative "reviews" in idgames, as stated above, with someone just saying "was a good level", it's like... OK thanks but is there anyway I could improve it?

You (and moreso hardcore_gamer) are quite missing the point that this is a free hobby and no one's obligated to say anything about any wad, much less in a place where you voluntarily contribute. While naturally some are going to be simplistic or even dumb, the comments are not seldom more juicy than the comments to a T/nC (since people always comment on the wad more directly, and not about peripheral issues), and sometimes about as good as a T/nC review (since the guy making the comment can concentrate on that single wad instead of having to play through a bunch).

KennyJC said:
Newstuff is the most important part of the Doom community. That's where most people download and play new maps and that is exactly what gets people making maps in the first place. The only maps I play are ones I see on newstuff.

Mostly I agree (not sure if that's the most important*, but at least it certainly is important) especially if we're talking about /newstuff and not The /newstuff Chronicles. While T/nC certainly adds another dimension by providing the reviews on the front page here and the additional discussion, the first and most critical step in the matter is for the wads to be added to the archive, with is a centralized place where nearly all of the relevant DOOM stuff is found.

If people find that there's no T/nC during a week (or longer) they can go to to /newstuff and check if there's anything new. Then they can comment here, in the database comments (that have the advantage of being directly associated to the download page on the database, unlike a separate thread, the T/nC, or anything else, that are separate), or in any forum or means or communication between people of the community.

* Especially because the DOOM games are not just about new wads; they're also about playing the tons of existing ones.

Janitor said:
I think the best thing to do is to put some screenshots of your wad on any image hosting site, and put the wad in /idgames or any other hosting. Then make a new thread about it, and get some input from the community.

Sure that can add some input, and can to some degree do what a missing T/nC isn't doing, but I don't see how that's better than the comments system, where the comments remain on the download page, always there for anyone to see even long after the wad has been released (some downloads are made directly from the FTPs, sure, although the database is widely used nowadas because it is a very convenient front for these).

When was /idgames first written/released/done/whatever? Obviously WADs there date back to 1994, but I'm assuming the reviews don't...

...and yes I do know that creating/revieweing/watching/playing/doing ANYTHING to a PWAD is entirely voluntary, and as such I can't tell people to be more useful. It's just that if someone did leave a single-line comment, then they may as well shouldn't of bothered/volunteered.

BoldEnglishman said:
When was /idgames first written/released/done/whatever?

You're saying "/idgames" when you're referring to the chronicles (or the idgames database?).

The archive maintained by Ty Halderman is "/idgames", and the idgames database is the front maintained by Linguica on Doomworld, while the Doomworld reviewing feature is called The /newstuff Chronicles (T/nC).

BoldEnglishman said:

It's just that if someone did leave a single-line comment, then they may as well shouldn't of bothered/volunteered.

That's not up for you to decide, I much rather see people leaving a one word/line comment, than not bothering at all.