Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

For Megaman music fans

I made this just for you!

EDIT: I'm making more and more of these, so any new ones will be posted here in the first post with details. Enjoy!

Charge Man - From Megaman 5 - String Quartet Remake
Original 8-bit Music by Mari - Arranged for String Quartet by Nick Perrin

Knight Man - From Megaman 6 - String Quartet Remake
Original 8-bit Music by Yuko Kadota - Arranged for String Quartet by Nick Perrin

Rockman Medley - From Megaman 1 - String Quartet Remake
Original 8-bit Music by C. Manami & Yuukichan's Papa - Arranged for String Quartet by Nick Perrin

For those who don't have a clue - These are string quartet remakes of songs from the NES Megaman games. The original songs are only 3 channels, as all normal 8-bit NES game music is, so naturally I had to take some extra creative license when adding the fourth instrument part to each track.

TAKE NOTE THAT THESE VERSIONS ARE NOT THE FINAL VERSIONS, THERE WILL BE REVISIONS.

YES, I will be making more. Any requests? I'll only do 8-bit Megaman songs, thank you.

Cool. For a suggestion, well, Wily stage 1 from MM2 is a classic, no matter what you do to it.

Jodwin said:

Cool. For a suggestion, well, Wily stage 1 from MM2 is a classic, no matter what you do to it.

I agree... but it's really fairly overdone by now!
I was thinking about it, but we'll see...

Hey, this is awesome. You did a nice job with this. I would love to hear more; doesn't matter which song. :) Though, actually, I would love to hear a version of Gyro Man's stage like this.

Wow, that was incredibly awesome. I'm really looking forward to any others that you do. Since you asked for requests; Magnet Man, Dark Man, or Blizzard Man are all pretty good songs. If you could do any of any of those that would be great.

Sweet arrangement. Charge Man's Stage is one of Mari's best pieces from MM5 in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words guys - Notice that I tend to not stray from the original arrangement at all, rather I just provide new instrumentation. I was worried that that might be a hindrance, but I really prefer to preserve the feel of the original.

There are certain aspects of the 8-bit versions that need to be saved when making "re-arrangements", often aspects that are hard to pinpoint and recreate in order to repossess that same musical quality. A lot of Megaman remixes, or any 8-bit remixes actually, seem to lack the power of the originals for whatever reason - so I want to make sure I get it right, even if means being a bit creatively conservative.

EllipsusD said:

Blizzard Man

Blizzard Man is total strings (or piano!) material. So much emotion haha! I'll do it for sure, a nice slow version of it, change it up a bit.

Tango said:

Though, actually, I would love to hear a version of Gyro Man's stage like this.

I was thinking of that. I might do that one as well.

I'm also considering Wave Man from MM5, it's a pretty catchy tune. Replace that jumpy bass with some pizzicato cello... Mmmm. MM2's music tends to be pretty fast-paced, and somewhat reliant on that speed, so strings arrangement is tricky for it.

EDIT: Knight Man is made for this. It and Blizzard Man are next on the list.

Lizardcommando said:

Pretty cool. Two thumbs up from me. :)

I'd love to hear Snake Man or Proto Man's stage from MM5.

Knight Man and Protoman's Castle are up next. Knight Man is WIP currently.

BUMP: Knight Man is done. Check the first post of the thread to hear it.

Protoman's Castle or Wave Man or Blizzard Man is next... so many decisions!!

That sounds great man. Would you be able to give a direct link to the mp3's? :P

Snarboo said:

This is very impressive. I concur with Tango, when will we see the MP3's? :)

I've decided to make an album of these.
MP3's soon. I hate to lead people on, but suffice to say they will be ready in the near future.

Definite tracks on the album (this is NOT the order they will be in):

1.) Charge Man (done)
2.) Knight Man (done)
3.) Rockman Medley (IE the 1st game, currently WIP)
4.) Protoman's Castle
5.) Dr. Wiley's Castle Stage 1 (from MM2)
6.) Top Man (trust me, it will sound great in string form, slowed down a bit and more stuff added)
7.) Megaman 2 ending (probably will be last track... and might have a few big orchestral elements thrown in to end it with a bang. It would be awesome to do the whole album in orchestral form but that would take too much work and I don't feel my compositional skill is up to par for a project like that, nor my hardware haha)

Suggestions please for more?
I need at least ONE track from Megaman 4, but I can do two. I just can't decide which ones, so help me out!

BTW thanks a ton guys, I probably would have stopped at 1 or 2 if the response hadn't been so good. But always be honest regardless of how much you love the source material haha...

Nick Perrin said:

I need at least ONE track from Megaman 4, but I can do two. I just can't decide which ones, so help me out!

Cossack's first stage? I don't know if that would work well for this, but I've always liked it.

Jodwin said:

Cossack's first stage? I don't know if that would work well for this, but I've always liked it.

Good thought, a lot of people remember this one when they hear it.

In all honesty, I could remake track after track after track, it would just take time, but I love to hear the results. But to release a cohesive album, I DO need to boil it down to around (give, but not take a few) 10 final tracks.

After I finish those, who says I'll stop making them? It'll depend on my interest of course...

Lizardcommando said:

Cossack Stage 2

OMG how did I forget about this one?? That's pure strings material. I'll compromise though, since I think both Cossack stage BGMs deserve a remake, and do a Cossack's Castle Medley of both.

EDIT: I'm feeling Pharoah Man as another MM4 piece, but it might be too spastic. Dive Man is cool for this too. Skull Man is a possibility.
AAAAARG THE CHOICES!!!!

EDIT AGAIN: Okay every other choice has been narrowed down. There will be TWELVE (12) TRACKS TOTAL. The only last thing I have to decide is what the final Megaman 4 track will be. It won't be a Castle song, I've already got a Cossack medley. Options:

Dive Man
Pharoah Man
Skull Man
Dust Man (would fit well with the strings motif, but not really a favourite)

Help me choose just one from those four!

I've always been more a fan of the MegaMan X music. 'Can't say I care for anything from the main series. Your remakes themselves are awesome, though.

Coopersville said:

I've always been more a fan of the MegaMan X music. 'Can't say I care for anything from the main series. Your remakes themselves are awesome, though.

X is blasphemy.

Pharaohman's stage is probably about the only thing worth taking from Megaman 4. Probably one of the absolutely worst soundtracks and games altogether in my opinion.

Ralphis said:

Pharaohman's stage is probably about the only thing worth taking from Megaman 4. Probably one of the absolutely worst soundtracks and games altogether in my opinion.

I love the game strangely enough. I just find that it's tons of fun. The music is not the strongest though, that is very true...

Jodwin said:

X is blasphemy.

I must protest.

Nick Perrin said:

I love the game strangely enough. I just find that it's tons of fun. The music is not the strongest though, that is very true...

If the noise channel didn't have such a strong sustain effect, the music would probably be much more decent.