Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

an unfinished intricate map

wachu think?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c8jxv9
(I guess this area of the forum doesn't support file hosting itself like the doom speed demos?)
Also, in case there's compatibility issues: made with Doom Builder in zdoom/doom 2 format called map01.

Only halfish done but mostly playable until about when you get the blue key, which isn't very far into the level. But the architecture has a lot of irregular/organic sort of symmetry.

There's probably gonna be:
-warp in the lava in case you fall in of course
-more interesting stuff/sectors near the cyberdemon at the bottom and probably a red key door down there (kinda dumb how you have to run by him on a thin path currently)
-The very first cyberdemon area you see will probably have a switch that builds stairs further along the pathway outside (so you go around to the other side of the castleish thing to reach the other staircase in the back)
-maybe the outer castle walls will be black not blue, plus other texture changes (havn't tried making my own yet)
-generally finish and add stuff
-would *******ely change the map01 ugh-I've-heard-it-too-many-times music but havn't figured out how other than hearing about xwe or whatever its called.

Not at all what I was expecting, which is good. It's really tough and tricky, and unlike most maps out there. There's a little bit of a Cyberdreams feel to it. The texture choice is atrocious, obviously (I'm not sure if that was intentional or not), but the gameplay is interesting.

gggmork said:

-more interesting stuff/sectors near the cyberdemon at the bottom and probably a red key door down there (kinda dumb how you have to run by him on a thin path currently)

Agreed. That was probably the most irritating part.

gggmork said:

Way too hard. Archviles shouldn't start showing up until AFTER you get the SS.

No.

Ryathaen said:

There's a little bit of a Cyberdreams feel to it.

Hmm, then I should check this out since Cyberdreams kicked ass! I love mayhem in a doom level! This is why some people complain about the amount of monsters I use and lack of supplies, but then I say "F*$k you, play HR on UV if you want to talk about monsters :P" that shit was nuts, but fun!

Thanks for the comments. I'd be interested in checking out other people's maps if they want feedback or whatever too.

I'll check out cyberdreams (if it was in id's maximum doom I might have played it before actually; rings a bell). Hell revealed are my favorite maps that I've played; its like a symphony composed in the medium of doom2 (and I think the creator was only 15 years old?) HR2 has some great design too but I've only played the first few of them so far (and did try map 32 'playground' heh heh). So anyway I like difficult interesting maps that aren't linear (and don't have much 'wtf am I supposed to do next'). But I'm a keyboarder and not that great (10 clones of me couldn't defeat the notorious man made of sticks judging from his hr26 max demo).

Here is another equally unfinished and equally irregular-symmetry-having map I made if interested:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nmjiag
(basically I intend there to be a switch up past the hell knights that probably opens a door that will be down in the reverents or something. But on this map, for fun I tried a switch that made all the little lowered floor parts raise 32 map pixels which looked quite cool when it happened (I took it out though).

Oh cool, cyberdreams is like a puzzle game sort of. I'm up to level 4 and its great so far.

conglomerate is very interesting in an escher sort of way, although i agree that you should retexture much of it.

I should try making my own textures. I had one stupid idea where you could have a series of textures that actually form an animation of a cyberdemon moving left or something. Then I could have the player advance and make a bunch of linedefs cause doors with these textures on their faces open right in front of him very fast as an animation (and then maybe a real cyberdemon could come out of the left wall right after to complete the dorky illusion).

I just beat cyber dreams, except for the few levels I assume zdoom screws up to be unplayable. 23 took the most tries and was extremely frustrating since there is such a long tedious wait until you get to the hard part at the end. Didn't understand 30. 31 was very creative (shooting your clone through a warp while invulnerable).