Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blarg

Sound being blocked

In my ZDOOM map, I have a sector w/a ceiling of 8, that a blood river flows into. This low sector connects one sector, the one you pass through, and another, an inaccessible one. The inaccessible one has a bunch of demons that are supposed to hear you when you shoot all the monsters in the accessible sector and run towards your sector, then teleporting via a WR teleport (monster only) linedef. None of the lindefs are sound blocking, but the demons just sit there like nothing's going on.

There are no sound blocking linedefs, and I tried making the sector higher but the sound still wasn't getting to them, they just ended up seeing me and teleporting in. Is this a ZDOOM glitch that works on vanilla DOOM? Or is it just that I screwed up my sectors?

no I checked 3 times for sound blocking lindefs and deaf monsters, there are two deaf Sergeants in the sector you walk through, but none of the demons are deaf

I've found that the sound-blocking mechanisms in Doom mapping can be inconsistent. I've had lots of experiences where things that ought to be blocking sound don't and vice versa. It's probably something I'm doing wrong...

The reason it seems inconsistent is that the Block-Sound flag doesn't block sounds directly. Sound will pass over the first line with the flag and only stop at the SECOND line with the flag.

I fixed it, but I don't know how. I just deleted the connecting sector and the hidden sector, and now it works just fine.

As far as sound-blocking linedefs, sometimes even if I put two in the way of my sound, the sound isn't blocked, however, like Ajapted said, using two sound-blocking linedefs usually works.

I'm really probably just missing some way to sound gets around the linedefs in those rare instances.

blarg said:

I'm really probably just missing some way to sound gets around the linedefs in those rare instances.

When you have a sector in which you definitley shoot, make a (tiny) new sector nearby the (deaf)-monsters and join this one with the sector where you shoot. The monsters will hear you shooting independently where the sectors are.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I never thought of that but that's a really good way of doing it.

I'm afraid I still don't know exactly how sound-blockery works. Do you have to line the entire room with sound-blocking linedefs, or both the room you're in and the room in which the monsters are in, or do you just need to do doorways, apertures and the like?

Sounds can go in and out all open doors, open windows etc. any where there is an opening. so all must be considered for sound blocking lines.

But sound often will go through closed doors. But not always. I've made levels without any sound-blocking, and some doors will block sound while others won't. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but I suspect it may be related to floor height.

I don't actually need to block sounds through windows, now that I think about it. I don't know why I brought that up.

StupidBunny said:

But sound often will go through closed doors. But not always.

Are your rooms connected with two-sided linedefs or is their void space imbetween the walls of each room? If the rooms are connected, the sound will travel through the walls, even if the door to the room is closed. I expect you know this already, but just throwing it out there just in case. Also if I want to have a group of monsters sound-blocked, I create a sector around the monsters and then a smaller sector around the previous sector, make all the two-sided lindefs in both sectors sound-blocking and the monsters will essentially deaf.

Stealthy Ivan said:

make sure your teleport line is not too close to a wall/thing, if it is the demons will not be able to cross it and will not teleport.

Also make sure there is room to teleport. If a monster tries to walk over a teleport linedef and something is occupying the destination landing, then the monster will simply pass over the linedef and not teleport. This can become problematic when you have multiple monsters in a teleport trap sector using the same trigger linedef.