Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The next Super Smash Bros. game is scheduled to be released on Dec. 3rd in the USA.

This thread is about Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the series as a whole: Talk about your greatest moments in Melee, your reaction to the original N64 version, your predictions for the next one and discussion of the daily dojo updates, how there are too many clones in SSBM, and how the original looks like a piece of crap now.

Obviously it would be difficult for me to make this post right now without mentioning that less than an hour ago, Sonic the Hedgehog has been confirmed as a playable character. This has been a battle 18 years in the making regardless of whether or not Sonic's newer outings suck or not (they do very much).

However, I feel that after viewing his Dojo intro video it would be hard for me NOT to play him as my main character. He will most likely be the fastest character in the game (rightfully so).

N64 version will always be my favourite. I'm often told it is slow compared to Melee but I like it that way.

I don't have a Wii but I'm going to eventually get one for the soul purpose of playing as Sonic in Brawl.

I guess now all those "would Mario or Sonic win in a fight" questions could be settled. :D

it's all about dk/puff/falcon in ssbm fo' realz, though i've been playing it a lot less in the past year or so in favor of other games, particularly (take a guess from my avatar) KOF; still decent though at least

and they still need this fellow for brawl to be complete (flamboyant pink version aside; google images was being a bitch):

Holy shit, Sonic looks like a hell of a lot of fun to play as! Samus has been my main character for quite a while, but that just might change now. This is certainly the game I'm looking forward to most this year.

I'm very excited about Brawl, especially now that Sonic is going to be playable. It's something I've been looking forward to since the early days of the Genesis. :)

I don't really get it. I mean, it's just a mishmash of characters from different games with violently clashing styles. Why all the excitement? If I released a Doom WAD with all those disparate characters in it I would (quite rightly) be laughed at.

Is part of the appeal the same as the pointless playground arguments like "who'd kick who's ass, Spiderman or Superman" and the ridiculous crossover comics that pander to that kind of simple-minded pointlessness?

And I've always thought that fat mustachioed plumber was one of the most unappealing characters ever to be invented. But people love him. Actually, I don't see why so many people spooge all over sonic either.

Like I said, I don't get it. :/

I only really played the GC version. It's the one fighting game I like, because it's the one you don't need to spend hours and hours of tinkering around with to be good enough to win a fight.

Enjay said:

I don't really get it. I mean, it's just a mishmash of characters from different games with violently clashing styles. Why all the excitement? If I released a Doom WAD with all those disparate characters in it I would (quite rightly) be laughed at.

Is part of the appeal the same as the pointless playground arguments like "who'd kick who's ass, Spiderman or Superman" and the ridiculous crossover comics that pander to that kind of simple-minded pointlessness?

And I've always thought that fat mustachioed plumber was one of the most unappealing characters ever to be invented. But people love him. Actually, I don't see why so many people spooge all over sonic either.

Like I said, I don't get it. :/

mostly because it has some production values instead of being ctrl+c ctrl+v frankly

Ralphis said:

This has been a battle 18 years in the making regardless of whether or not Sonic's newer outings suck or not (they do very much).

Don't own a DS huh? Shame.

Danarchy said:

It's the one fighting game I like, because it's the one you don't need to spend hours and hours of tinkering around with to be good enough to win a fight.

That makes sense why you like it, it's not really a fighting game at all.

Some production values? More like legendary production values.

To begin, these games are amazingly designed and chocked full of awesome content which celebrates the history of Nintendo (and now other companies as shown by Sonic and Snake). They're fun single player, they're REALLY fun multiplayer, they're fun almost any way you play them.

If it's not for you, you probably didn't grow up with a Nintendo system. That's about the only way I can think that you might not like it!

Use3D said:

Don't own a DS huh? Shame.

The sonic rush games are alright but they surely aren't anything even remotely close to the Genesis era of games. Same with the Sonic Advance games. I've played through them all and they aren't terrible but they're far from great.

But yea, I was mostly talking about his main console games.[/b]

That makes sense why you like it, it's not really a fighting game at all. [/B]

What? It's definitely a fighting game for the most part. Maybe you've been looking at something else?

Eh, I'm still going to play this one. I just feel the series is sort of like a pretend fighting franchise, not at all for content, but gameplay. Hoping for a surprise is all.

Damn...I was hoping Sonic wasn't going to be in Brawl...now I look silly telling people he wasn't. I wish they would have put the classic Sonic in, not the OMG SUPAR EXTREAAAAAME!!@#!@#!@# Sonic from the newer games in...

Well, anyways, I'm very excited for Brawl. It's one of the prime reasons I even have a Wii right now, and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun...what sucks though is my friend who I played Melee with all the time isn't around much anymore...but the bots will do, I suppose.

Look at the bright side now. At least Soni-

*prompt realization to stop in order to not get flamed)

Finally, a reason to play that Wii that's been stuck in my basement collecting dust for months now!

Heh, I saw the Sonic post this morning right before I left for school. I figured his gameplay would look somewhat "meh" but after seeing the video, he actually looks pretty cool.

This is definitely a game I'm looking forward to, though. Whenever I'm with any of my friends, we usually make sure to fit in a few matches of Melee (I always win lulz). I'm actually so much of a nerd that I check the site every morning. :(

And yes, we definitely need to get some wi-fi games going once it comes out. >:)

I say put Megaman in the fucking game already. He has many games on the NES, is way more Nintendo-related than Sonic, and according to polls is a very wanted character in the game.

PUT HIM IN THE FREAKING GAME, NINTENDO!!!!!!!!

I also second the motion of putting Simon Belmont into Brawl, although I doubt it will happen. But then again... Mewtwo and Young Link made it into Melee for some unfathomable reason.

I have never found anyone capable of beating me on a regular basis in Melee if I am playing as Samus.

Challengers, step forward.

Use3D said:

...it's not really a fighting game at all.

Then WHAT exactly is it supposed to be? It's just a different style of fighting game, face it.

Anyway if you want to be INSANELY good at the game, it WILL take a lot of skill and tinkering and practice. Ever watched the best of the best duking it out in Melee? It's nuts compared to any random person who picks up the controller and thinks they're good at the game.

Kid Airbag said:

Challengers, step forward.

I'll take you down. Just you wait! :(

Don't own a wii but I am looking foward to this games release, the series is very origional and makes a great party game. Sonic looks nice btw, and I agree with the fact that Megaman should be put in.

Oh yeah, this is a fighting game, just not a traditional fighting game. Makes sense?

I have lost all hope in Sonic. First ShTH, now this.

Inferno said:

I agree with the fact that Megaman should be put in.

Please die.

I was considerably more interested in the Doom Smash Bros. source mod/port in the works a few years ago. The Gamecube Smash Bros. Melee was great for some really nastalgic stuff but I otherwise don't find the series' style of fighting too appealing at all.

BTW: You have the PSX remixed Castlevania Chronicles to blame for the pink transexual Simon.

me and my brother are stoked for this. we have pretty regular ssbm bouts. my characters are link, samus, dk, jiggly, and capt. falcon. I can't wait to see how the new characters play.