Download linkage:
http://mods.moddb.com/452/robotech-firstgen/downloads/
http://www.speedyshare.com/632572862.html

Running the WIP:
There are 2 possibilities:

1. GUI method: Double-click "FirstGen.exe" and press "Play!"
2. Batch method: Double-click "PlayRobotechFirstgen.bat"

About this mod:
This is a mod for the EDGE engine. The central theme of the mod will of course be the Robotech anime series, more specifically centered on the first generation (Macross). The storyline of the TC will follow the series, from the first few episodes up to the point where the main fleet of the zentraedi arrive to attack earth.

Some features include:
*Several enemies from the series: battlepods, female powered armor, Zentraedi Gropos, and Officers pods.
*Real time messages from various characters giving you advice, orders and information.
*Other Veritechs to team up with you and help you on some missions.
*Various different environments: Macross city, Mars (low gravity), Zentraedi ships, Space (zero gravity) and more
*Seeker missiles that home in on a moving enemy

About this release:
This mod is a Work In Progress (WIP): What that boils down to is that it is a copy of what I have done up to now and is more of a developer version than anything else. In other words... Expect bugs! Expect rough edges!
I have been working on this project, on my own, since 2001 and unfortunately it shows: you'll notice that some parts look quite dated while other parts will look better. Also, some stuff is the way it is because the EDGE engine couldn't do it any other way back in 2001, though now it's a different story (and hopefully I'll get around to updating that stuff).
If you find bugs please feel free to let me know: I know about a lot of them already but it's nice to compare lists Wink

The future of Robotech: FirstGen...
I'm releasing this because I've done almost no work on it for a long time now, and I want it to get out into the public, even if incomplete, in case I never get around to finishing it. Note that I'm not abandoning this project, but I have to be realistic and with every year (year!?) that passes the chances greatly diminish Sad This way at least, the folks who have been following this project will have something to see for all the waiting, patience and support that they have shown me over the years.

Credits:
Almost all of the work in this mod is my own (even the crappy midis), except for a few textures donated to me by Mr.J and Kaiowas, and a few sprites I borrowed from Lil' White Mouse.
I also used just enough resources from the FreeDoom project to make it a standalone IWAD.

Thanks to the coders of EDGE for creating/maintaining the greatest Doom port ever(IMHO).

Wow! I thought this project was dead in the water a long time ago. It was years ago that I DL'd the first sample files.

This is quite an impressive mod - although a bit slow and frustrating in places (eg following the other guy around the city). I haven't had a chance to give it a proper play through yet though. I thought the impression of scale was done quite well.

Eh, I think you might want to cut the second level. After following the guy around for 3 minutes I got so bored that I just started gunning down the pedestrians as I went.
The detail could use a bit of work too. In all honesty, some of the levels look like they were straight out of 1994.

Other then that, everything's good

The pedestrians are there to be gunned down! LOL

Like I said further up, I know that some of the maps are really dated looking but that's due to the age of this project and to my own negligible mapping skills at that time.

And the fact that not many people use EDGE shouldn't have any effect on a TC IMHO: I use EDGE almost exclusively for my Dooming, but that doesn't stop me from using other ports when there's a TC/PC/Wad that appeals to me (massmouth, foreverhood, sitters stuff etc)

Lobo said:

And the fact that not many people use EDGE shouldn't have any effect on a TC IMHO...

Unfortunately there's a general stigma around EDGE presupposing some kind of crappiness.... probably because of the waves of crappy mods for it that came out in the past. We just gotta release killer material and EDGE will regain popularity.

Nick Perrin said:

Unfortunately there's a general stigma around EDGE presupposing some kind of crappiness.... probably because of the waves of crappy mods for it that came out in the past. We just gotta release killer material and EDGE will regain popularity.

heh. I completely agree.

Nick Perrin said:

I figured it was the bugginess and unstableness of the previous versions of EDGE that scared people off.

Nick Perrin said:

I really don't think that's the reason people don't use it. I would imagine it has more to do with people don't want 90000 source ports

the only good edge tc was qdoom and i don't even like that

doom 2.5 was decent, to some point, then died

other than that is just fan mishmash.

Lizardcommando said:

I figured it was the bugginess and unstableness of the previous versions of EDGE that scared people off.

Well, it's rock solid now.

It's ironic that EDGE has generally been pretty stable for me, whereas ZDoom used to crash all over the place. I haven't actually tried the latest release yet.

I agree. Zdoom has crashed more than EDGE ever has. I don't think EDGE has ever crashed on me, except for my code problems. Zdoom is giving me a floating point error out of nowhere. It's not even runnable anymore. The only thing I like about Zdoom is the renderer. The rest of it, bleh.

My reluctance to use EDGE was mainly fuelled by the awful way the player moved in it for a long time. All the time I wasn't using EDGE, Zdoom was becoming more and more feature packed and now there are so many things I want from a port that Zdoom does, I see no reason to change. I concede that EDGE probably can do many of those things too but I don't want to re-learn just for the sake of it. I have so many Zdoom specific things that I use now that it would be a major piece of work to get them into EDGE.

I suppose, for me, it's kind of like the VHS/Betamax thing. EDGE may be a good port, but (for me) it took too long to become such and Zdoom was already well established and doing what I wanted long before I could have considered EDGE usable.

Also, I still find that EDGE doesn't "feel" quite how I want it to - but that's a very hard thing to track down.

Enjay said:

Also, I still find that EDGE doesn't "feel" quite how I want it to - but that's a very hard thing to track down.

I kind of agree with you here. I think that upping the FPS of EDGE would contribute to making them more alike though.