Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
entryway

Various "Eternal" Wads demos

Hmm, Epic was an excellent mapset, so I'll have to watch these. It's also the third big doom wad I can recall that contains a moving train map (dark7 and PA:R being the others).

Indeed... probably because we spend only about 1 minute on the map at the most now. :)

I firstly saw a moving train map in Blood 1 :-) I still think that similar maps in doom were inspired by this one :-)

Gusta said:

I firstly saw a moving train map in Blood 1 :-) I still think that similar maps in doom were inspired by this one :-)

I remember that level (E1M3: Phantom Express, if I remember correctly,) including its intro, where you get to see three guys get run over by the train. :P I really need to find my copy of Blood again, someday... or at least get another one.

I haven't played EPIC yet, but its levels look quite nice, and the demos seem quite fine to me. Great work on both ends!

gggmork said:

Great cybersky demo. Memorizing the layout alone looks like an accomplishment.

Indeed. Epic map and epic demo.

More demos from Ramon:
Here are again some more demos for REMAIN1.WAD ( http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15094 )
They are all in Rema1Ra1.zip

Rema1Ra1.zip:
RM01-007.zip: UV Speed in MAP01 time: 0:07 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM01n007.zip: NM Speed in MAP01 time: 0:07 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM02-201.zip: UV Speed in MAP02 time: 2:01 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM03-125.zip: UV Speed in MAP03 time: 1:25 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM04NoMo.zip: Nomonster speed in MAP04 time: 0:48 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM05-434.zip: UV Speed in MAP05 time: 4:34 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD
RM07-154.zip: UV Speed in MAP07 time: 1:54 Iwad: DOOM2.WAD Pwad: REMAIN1.WAD

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/Rema1Ra1.zip

Question to Grazza: What naming code will be better for wad with such name? As I see, for "i3nM" code prboom+ launcher cannot define iwad at all. [/B]

Given that there are only 7 maps, only one digit is needed for the map number. So 32iX-nnn suggests itself, with X being the map number (1-7), and the "-nnn" being the normal time digits (modified as normal when more than 10 mins, etc.).

Yes, a demo name starting i3n2 will be guessed as being a demo on the Ultimate Doom iwad as things stand. But no need to rename that demo - I'll add that to the patterns.

32innail/map 5 demo.
Failed run, got all the way to the end, then died because I didn't have the end part memorized, 84 friggin minutes.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zm5hcm
Just a casual run (the beginning is faster than the middle/end because I had to repeatedly play the beginning whenever I died), got lost sometimes searching for ammo or where to go and found the red key on accident.
I don't normally like long maps because you usually have to memorize tons of crap, and have to replay long portions cautiously over and over when you die.

gggmork said:

32innail/map 5 demo.

I have just finished watching it. God, you died in the last room after killing of 1800! monsters

Looks like main hall area is not hard at all if you know what you do. I even think the route can be more effective, but unfortunally I can't find nomonsters demo by Eternal with his idea of the best route. Probably you should use teleporting to the tower with three windows earlier or something.

I really didn't want to post this, but I did this back in February. I managed to not trigger the invul secret, wasted a lot of time at the end looking for it, all in all turned out ugly.

i3n55415.zip

entryway said:

Eternal's vision for maxkill route

All those secrets I missed would make it easier and a bit quicker. Then again, having 12 secrets makes it easy to accidentally forget one (thus not being max). Kinda doubt I'll try again; such long maps are probably better for playing with saved games than demos. Maybe a really fast max could be 50 minutes though (but on long maps you have to play cautious instead of fast, unless you want to replay long portions over and over due to dying).

EDIT: Oh, just saw belial's max, a much better route and run. Ha ha, that was entertaining watching you try to find the last secret (I think I know what it was- that radiation suit near the end in a hidden door in the lava part). At least the search led you to kill that last reverent (even though prboom's stats said 2008/2008 kills even before you killed the reverent..?)

The rev was resurrected as I made sure there were no lost monsters in the central hub. The missed secret was the megasphere room before the first invul, I hadn't realized it was the outer sector that was tagged until it was too late. Somehow I always managed to trigger it, but not in the demo.

gggmork said:
Ha ha, that was entertaining watching you try to find the last secret (I think I know what it was- that radiation suit near the end in a hidden door in the lava part).

That's not a secret. The missing one was sector 1100. The player teleports into sector 1154 inside it, and it seems to be easy to run straight out and fail to enter 1100 properly.

This is probably because the player's front edge hits the raised edge of sector 1099, lifting up his feet, before his centre point is inside the actual secret sector (the player's feet have to be touching the ground to register a secret, it's not enough to be hovering over it - this is why you can't get 100% secrets on Doom2 map15, for example)

At least the search led you to kill that last reverent (even though prboom's stats said 2008/2008 kills even before you killed the reverent..?)

There is a monster still alive when the map exits, an imp hanging off the edge of sector 174, one of the towers.

TimeOfDeath said:

Resurrected monsters don't have to be killed for max? :(

In a map with 2008 monsters, when they get revived only because their corpse was lying close enough to the edge for an archie moving around in a completely different area to be able to reach it... I sure wouldn't bother :P

Hmm, the compet-n faq says:

UV Maxkills: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and with 100% secrets.
(so that implies not having to re-kill resurrected monsters)

Still I think it'd be better to have to rekill resurrected monsters for max (it might not be easy to even tell whether a monster has been resurrected or not while playing in some maps, so thats kinda a dumb and chance based thing to give anyone a speed advantage in some maps).

compet-n also says 'Various DOOM spinning utilities are allowed'. I wonder if it'd be possible for an advanced spinning utility to make it so while you hold down a certain button, the screen remains centered on the nearest enemy. That would make tightly circling around enemies really easy (just hold down right and you'd constantly circle and face them) and maybe give a big but kinda cheap advantage.

EDIT:
oh yeah, I forgot about page 8 in this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/41850-the-community-chest-series-demo-thread/8/
(where grazza says:
'The compet-n rules (with clarifications) set standards that the demo community has traditionally followed and, when desired, expanded upon.

Yes, there was an ambiguity in the compet-n rules, but AdamH clarified it: revived monsters must be rekilled.

If there are unkillable monsters, then they can be left alive.

If it is very difficult to kill everything due to lack of ammo or near-inaccessible monsters, then the demo with least left alive counts as Max until someone demonstrates that it is possible to kill more.

And lost souls need never be killed, regardless of how the engine you are using counts them.'

Belial said:

In a map with 2008 monsters, when they get revived only because their corpse was lying close enough to the edge for an archie moving around in a completely different area to be able to reach it... I sure wouldn't bother :P

That does sound pretty annoying but I blame the mapper. ;)
Ok, after testing I see now that monsters only have to be killed once to get credit in the prboom-plus kills stat and that makes me sad (even though it's helpful for occasions like Belial mentioned). I wasn't dissing your demo, I just didn't realize until now that doom acted that way.

I wonder if an option for another kills stat could be made for prboom-plus that acts like the zdoom kills stat (add to the monster count when one is resurrected) without any incompatibility issues. I agree with ggg about it not being easy to tell what monsters have been resurrected.

gggmork said:
Still I think it'd be better to have to rekill resurrected monsters for max (it might not be easy to even tell whether a monster has been resurrected or not while playing in some maps, so thats kinda a dumb and chance based thing to give anyone a speed advantage in some maps).

Yeah, that's probably why most people just kill them all.

I wonder if it'd be possible for an advanced spinning utility to make it so while you hold down a certain button, the screen remains centered on the nearest enemy. That would make tightly circling around enemies really easy (just hold down right and you'd constantly circle and face them) and maybe give a big but kinda cheap advantage.

That would be autoaim, which is considered a cheat in DM. I'm pretty sure it would be considered TAS because while the spinning utilities allow keyboard users to turn more easily to catch up with some of the advantage of using a mouse, that would grant a benefit beyond the traditional and normal behavior of the game.

Jumping on the train for Eternal's long days level, I did a UV-fast for it in 7:21. Second exit here since my first exit was a 7:59

Hope you enjoy your FPS getting pwned right away...or at least it was that way for the first couple of minutes in my case.

I'd suggest having the HUD stats on if you don't have them active. Just watch how fast that kill counter goes up within the first 2 minutes.

Could still go faster. It all depends on how much ground you have to cover to get to any pesky cacos that get blown to the edge of the map.

Attaching demo now.

lodaf721.zip

TXT said:

Advanced engine needed : PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.2+
Do not use PrBoom-Plus 2.5.0.1 or earlier.

Anima Zero said:

Exe/Port used: GLBoom 2.5.0.1 -complevel 9

heh

Anima Zero said:

Skill and Style: 4 (UV-Max w/ -fast monsters)

Is "fast" easier in comparison with normal UV? I think so. I did not see final archies at all in your demo :)