Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Looking for scary MIDI/MUS music for Doom

Ok, i have bin browsing the /idgames looking for MIDI/MUS files that have scary music like the one found in PSX Doom/Doom 64 but with little results. I want my level to have ambient like music instead of the normal action fast paced one. Can anyone point out scary MIDI/MUS files
or sites with such music? It would be of allot of help.

It is not possible to make a scary, ambient, atonal soundtrack like in Doom64 and PSX Doom with midi or mus files. The format is just too limited for that.

Your best bet would be to head over to the Doom Depot and use some of the mp3's there in your wad. Most source ports know how to play mp3 lumps these days. It's gonna make your wad huge though, so you may consider making a separate music wad.

janvknn said:

Most source ports know how to play mp3 lumps these days. It's gonna make your wad huge though, so you may consider making a separate music wad.

Thats the reason i don't want any MP3's. The file size is huge and it limits the user to using only ports that can play mp3 file if they want to hear the music.

janvknn said:

The format is just too limited for that.

Oh! I did not that. Well any music that is scary will do the job, i am looking for E1M7 or E2M6 like music, but most music wads i find are just MIDI versions of popular music made from a number of artists . :(

EDIT: I just checked out Doomdepo,not many midi files there other then the original.

Belial said:

Check out Requiem's map04 music. It's one of my personal favs.

Hellish Godzilla said:

Scythe2 Map16 has pretty good music too.

Wow! Great findings!

I really like the music from Scythe2. Do need to ask the author before using them? Assuming he created the music that is.

janvknn said:

The format is just too limited for that.

those 'pad', and the last 8 instruments exist for a reason

hardcore_gamer said:

I really like the music from Scythe2. Do need to ask the author before using them? Assuming he created the music that is.

No, they were all yanked from various sources, mostly by me (map16 came from metroid fusion).

Vile said:

No, they were all yanked from various sources, mostly by me (map16 came from metroid fusion).

Great! There are allot of spooky tracks for me to use then.

Why isn't there something like an midi recource wad like texture packs I stopped searching for midi's cause I got tired of listening to them most were not my taste anyway.

Now I stick to the original ones they do fine for me or I just play the psx/d64 music while playing an map, they sound great when your editing also I turn the lights down in my room and start working on my maps :p

leileilol said:

those 'pad', and the last 8 instruments exist for a reason

Yeah, to help Dave Smith fill out 128 instruments when he wrote the MIDI specification in 1981.

dutch devil said:

Why isn't there something like an midi recource wad like texture packs I stopped searching for midi's cause I got tired of listening to them most were not my taste anyway.

Now I stick to the original ones they do fine for me or I just play the psx/d64 music while playing an map, they sound great when your editing also I turn the lights down in my room and start working on my maps :p

PSX/Doom64 Doom music is great but does not come in MIDI/MUS format. And the file size is big as well. I mean i have a wad that has all of the PSX Doom mp3 on it and it is over 156 MB big. It makes no sense to put something so big into a map or a megawad. But yea it would be great if someone were to release a decent music wad that is not full of Metalica tracks.

Have you ever heard of a game called Blood? There's some pretty creepy music from there. The music from the first level of Blood is the music for Map05 of Scythe II. And a lot of Blood's songs are much creepier than that.

dutch devil said:
... or I just play the psx/d64 music while playing an map, they sound great when your editing also I turn the lights down in my room and start working on my maps :p

And here I thought I thought I was the only one who did that :) It does help with inspiration though.

MOD music is better quality that MIDI but not all that big right? and Zdoom supports it.

Also, don't underestimate the creepiness of complete silence...

deathbringer said:

MOD music is better quality that MIDI but not all that big right? and Zdoom supports it.

complete silence sounds dull, and it is much harder to build up a atmosphere.

Some people really prefer silence. Preferring the battle itself to the distraction of the music. I have not had music turned on for over 4 years and don't miss it. I prefer the sound cues the monsters give when they wake up etc. The music drowns that out. The battle itself is much cleaner in my mind without the music distraction.

Silence can be very creepy.

Edit: typo

I always debate about whether I find silence or creepy music to be scarier overall. The music can set the mood and feeling of terror pretty well but will make it less real-feeling than complete silence will. I personally prefer to play with the music turned on.

deathbringer said:

What's MOD music? It can't be the file format Doom 64 uses as the songs i have are like 3 MB each. I got them with Doom 64 absolution.

Searcher said:

Some people really prefer silence. Preferring the battle itself to the distraction of the music. I have not had music turned on for over 4 years and don't miss it. I prefer the sound cues the monsters give when they wake up etc. The music drowns that out. The battle itself is much cleaner in my mind without the music distraction.

Silence can be very creepy.

This is a good point. Half-Life, for example, is intensely atmospheric and creepy, and it doesn't use music at all (except for the same theme that plays just at certain moments). Still, I prefer to have music on when I play - not loud enough to obscure other sounds, but I still like to listen to it all the time, even in deathmatches.

Here's a little secret: listen to the music for Doom2 map30. It's extremely quiet, and map 30 is a noisy and hectic place, so you've probably never really heard it before. It's a good song though, I'd say it's fairly spooky.

mod = amiga module format (tracker file)
i used to make .mods all the time with modedit, and, even now, one of my musical projects is entirely tracker/sample-based using renoise.
i think i'll dig up those old floppies full of mods and see if any are suitable for a wad.
thanks for the reminder.
i'll probably upload some too if anyone is interested.
won't be for another week or so though...long story.

I have seen some good suggestions on here for the type of music Hardcore is looking for. The suggestion made about the game Blood was a good one. For creating an ambient, creepy feel, the music in it is very hard to beat. Someone also mentioned level 30 (original Doom2.wad) Funny thing here a couple of weeks ago, I fired up the Slayer.wad, and the first level uses that same music. Damn good stuff! In truth there has been a tremendous amount of good quality music (of all kinds) created for Doom over the years. I have a lot of it stored away alone in separate files.

Having said that, I would still like to see some fresh new creepy music for Doom. Whether it be music that can be gotten from stuff that's already available or brand new stuff freshly composed. I wouldn't mind seeing some new music-only wads produced. Is there not another up and coming Bobby Prince out there somewhere? Maybe somebody reading this thread. Hey, if you're good at that sort of thing, let it be known.

Anyway, I came across something the other night that I thought might be of interest. I was checking out Sid Haig's website and noticed that he will soon be doing his directorial debut in a movie called "The Last Door" He has a link for the movie posted. Click on the link and check out that music. Does that have potential for new Doom music or what? Here's the link: http://www.lastdoormovie.com/

Ambient sound and dynamic music FTW! Scary sound always builds up atmosphere best. If you can also have dynamic music, then that is even better, as it allows you to throw emotional spikes at the right time rather than hoping your constantly-playing music will cue certain sections at the right time in gameplay.

Sound design in a game is probably just as much an art as the music!

I've found it useful when trying to compose spooky midi's that you use certain instruments played at very low octaves. The bitrate of the midi instrument will crush itself to play various different tones which sounds very spooky if used the right way. :)