Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

New Star Trek movie....OMG!

Heh, Karl Urban AND Simon Pegg? How can it fail?
I'll tell you how: miserably.

As much as I adore Simon Pegg, him as Scotty? And I can't look at Karl Urban the same way since I saw Doom.

Still, I have a little bit of hope for this. It has the chance of resurrecting the Star Trek franchise. It can't be as bad as Nemesis was, can it?

EDIT: lol, beaten to the punch.

I'm like the one person who really liked Nemesis.

This new movie COULD be good. Also, I heard about it like 3 years ago heh.

Danarchy said:

I'm like the one person who really liked Nemesis.

This new movie COULD be good. Also, I heard about it like 3 years ago heh.

Nemesis was pretty good in my book....but then again...Im not exactly a Trekky...

I'm sure there'll be a geek uprising about them featuring another actor as Kirk. :p

Karl Urban as McCoy? Heh.

I think Nemesis could have been good, but there were a lot of factors that turned it to crap for me. And the death at the end seemed completely unnecessary. I felt like they forced it just to get a reaction out of the audience and end the TNG story with a "bang."

kristus said:

Karl Urban as McCoy? Heh.

Yeah, that's probably the one that threw me off the most.

The TNG movies and the last two shows already sunk the franchise straight to the black depths of the Mariana Trench so it would be hard for it to go any lower. To me this just seems like they're beating that reeking horse corpse to shake the last few bile-encrusted, maggot-eaten dollars out of it.

Hell, just go all the way... Will Ferrell as Kirk! Rob Schnieder as McCoy! Michael Richards as Spock! And, in a BS 5 minute cameo, Christopher Walken as Spock's dad!! Join the crew of the Enterprise as they circle Uranus searching for Klingons!!! Comedy of the year!!!

david_a said:

Hell, just go all the way... Will Ferrell as Kirk! Rob Schnieder as McCoy! Michael Richards as Spock! And, in a BS 5 minute cameo, Christopher Walken as Spock's dad!! Join the crew of the Enterprise as they circle Uranus searching for Klingons!!! Comedy of the year!!!

Lol, I would see that movie.

david_a said:

Join the crew of the Enterprise as they circle Uranus searching for Klingons!!!

Like toilet paper?

david_a said:

The TNG movies and the last two shows already sunk the franchise straight to the black depths of the Mariana Trench so it would be hard for it to go any lower.

Come on, First Contact was fun.

Kid Airbag said:

Come on, First Contact was fun.

No, it really wasn't. They totally butchered the Borg by introducing that idiotic queen.

I think it needs to take a decade and a half break and return helmed by somebody who was a casual fan as a child and not a totally obsessed geek who will pepper it with pointless references and in-jokes and make it impenetrable to the casual viewer. Well it worked for some other sci-fi show.

First Contact was good. It was a bit silly in some parts, but it wasn't the camp-ass travesty that Insurrection was at least.

I like First Contact. Yes the queen is a bit cheezy, but oh well. I like Nemesis as well (i love the part where they ram the enterprise into that ship!) and I hate Insurrection. But about this movie... what the fuck man?! is this a joke? The TOS crew with a new cast? this is going to suck. I thought I heard some people saying they were going to make another TNG movie, what happend to that plan then?

Which one was the movie where someone (Riker I think) said something like "I don't have time for the prime directive right now"?

Whichever one it was, that line alone makes it a brilliant film. Finally, someone employed by the federation got the giant pole out of their arse and did something because it needed to be done and didn't fanny around because of the prime directive.

Enjay said:

Which one was the movie where someone (Riker I think) said something like "I don't have time for the prime directive right now"?

Whichever one it was, that line alone makes it a brilliant film. Finally, someone employed by the federation got the giant pole out of their arse and did something because it needed to be done and didn't fanny around because of the prime directive.

I think the scene you are refering to is from Insurrection (this scene?), where some sort of unstable weapon is used against them. Yea that was a nice comment, but not nice enough to fix this terribly boring movie :(

Well, I knew about this movie since 2006 but didn't know anything regarding storyline until reading this thread.

I'm a casual Star Trek fan, I watch it when it's on and I own DVDs of the episodes where Q appears (because those seem to be the wierdest ones). Other than that, I don't exactly know stardates or anything like that.

But re-casting a whole set of characters? Hmm this doesn't sound too good :(

While it's true that re-casting everyone will make it look and feel like something entirely different, face the facts. No amount of make-up and/or plaster will make the original actors look anything like they used to back in the day, so it's never going to be as the purists would like it. Then you also have the small technical difficulty of some of the actors being long dead. Since they want to make the movie (even though they probably shouldn't due to inevitable suckage), that's the only way they can do it, unless the entire thing was CGI, heh.

CodeImp said:

I think the scene you are refering to is from Insurrection (this scene?)

It wasn't that scene but it could have been that movie. I'm almost certain the prime directive was actually mentioned because the characters refusing to contravene the prime directive, even when it makes sense to do so, is something that has bugged me in Star Trek for years.

kristus said:

But, fannying about is what Star Trek is all about. :p

True, true. :)

david_a said:

No, it really wasn't. They totally butchered the Borg by introducing that idiotic queen.

Well see I'm not a trekkie or anything, so that wasn't really an issue for me.

Enjay said:

It wasn't that scene but it could have been that movie. I'm almost certain the prime directive was actually mentioned because the characters refusing to contravene the prime directive, even when it makes sense to do so, is something that has bugged me in Star Trek for years.

Yeah, that has always bugged me in TNG. All those Prime Directive episodes where they refuse to save a bunch of people's lives because it would break the Prime Directive. So they sit around waiting for some deus ex machina to come inevitably along to resolve the situation to get a happy ending. Seriously, what's going to happen? At the court martialing the judge says "you saved the lives of 10,000 colonists, but you broke the Prime Directive! You are hereby stripped of your rank, expelled from the Federation, and sentenced to 20 years hard labor in a penal colony"? Is the Federation really that asinine? Considering Kirk broke the Directive every other TOS episode, it seems like it's a rather vague threat.

Danarchy said:

Yeah, that has always bugged me in TNG. All those Prime Directive episodes where they refuse to save a bunch of people's lives because it would break the Prime Directive.

Who says Star Fleet are the good guys? I found this fascinating (depending on your POV) essay at another forum: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/708005294831?r=739008594831#739008594831

david_a said:

Who says Star Fleet are the good guys? I found this fascinating (depending on your POV) essay at another forum: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/708005294831?r=739008594831#739008594831

Haha, that has a lot of good points.

It also always disturbed me that the Federation banned all drugs including alcohol. So much for a society of freedom.

Then there's the whole thing about the Federation having no currency. Like that would ever work out. Seriously, if there wasn't any money to make and everything was free, who would be starship builders or dilithium miners? Fucking no one. The Feds must keep slave labour or something.

I'm actually hoping the 11th movie will be good, heh. I like Star Trek, and I don't really care about recasting all of the original characters, so long as they don't completely change the characters themselves (sure Star Trek has some contradictions in the canon universe anyway, but they're not going to be turning McCoy into an engineer). Look at how bad Voyager, Enterprise, and Nemesis (to a lesser extent, Generations and Insurrection, but I find those two movies fairly entertaining once in a while) turned out; Star Trek badly needs a restart of the series to the original goals of Gene Rodenberry.

Star Trek TOS ruled (though I liked TNG better ;P), and so long as this movie doesn't turn out to be a complete failure, I'm all for it. They've had their few years time of rest (it was in constant production for "only" 18 years; 1987-2005), they might as well go ahead and start making it again now.

Heh I only know Karl Urban from two movies (DOOM, and the second Riddick movie), and both were bad, and ruined the good reputation of the respective series.