Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #309

Hey cool, I'm in that shitty wad of Gulio's.
Looks like he mixed up a couple of facts though. I didn't compare him to Ruba. I don't think he could be compared to Ruba, considering that Ruba's AT LEAST a little better the Gulio. He's more of the lovable idiot kinda person.

Man, I've been waiting since /ns307 for my wad to be reviewed, but still not yet... There may be hope eventually.

MegaZzZeux said:

Man, I've been waiting since /ns307 for my wad to be reviewed, but still not yet... There may be hope eventually.

READ THE THREAD. IF YOUR WAD DIDN'T GET REVIEWED AND IT WASN'T A RE-RELEASE, POST A FUCKING LINK TO IT.

myk said:

Yeah, and the ZDaemon launcher itself has a "local" mode that lets you load a map by yourself in your chosen mode without connecting to anything.

And Skulltag got Scirmish mode. Or you can set DM flag in the consol and load the map through that. There's NO END TO THE POSSABILITIES. :O

Guilio Galassi isn't dead?

I love how those "GIVE ME CREDIT" twats honestly think they somehow deserve a pat on the back for copy and pasting...

myk said:

Yeah, and the ZDaemon launcher itself has a "local" mode that lets you load a map by yourself in your chosen mode without connecting to anything.

That was my point ...

Bloodshedder said:

<font size=+3>READ THE THREAD. IF YOUR WAD DIDN'T GET REVIEWED AND IT WASN'T A RE-RELEASE, POST A FUCKING LINK TO IT.</font>

Thanks for FUCKING spelling that out, but if I wanted to post a link to my level that was in the newstuff folder 2 or 3 months ago, then I would have. What pisses me the fuck off is the principle of the fact that you can work your ass off on a map and properly follow procedures to upload it and at some point down the line someone deletes it from the newstuff folder without reviewing it? Fucking insulting.

KennyJC said:

Thanks for FUCKING spelling that out, but if I wanted to post a link to my level that was in the newstuff folder 2 or 3 months ago, then I would have. What pisses me the fuck off is the principle of the fact that you can work your ass off on a map and properly follow procedures to upload it and at some point down the line someone deletes it from the newstuff folder without reviewing it? Fucking insulting.

Do you have no idea how the archive works? Number one, Doomworld does not run the /idgames Archive. We provide a front-end database that catalogues the files and allows for reviews to be added. We also provide The /newstuff Chronicles, a voluntary service that is certainly not guaranteed to be error and omission free. This isn't the place to complain about the archive itself.

Second, things do not stay in /newstuff forever. Once they are approved, they get copied to both the /newstuff folder and their final location. If you'd care to look at the LAST.60days file, if your file was uploaded in the last 2 months, you will see where it ended up. A search here for your filename will also let you find out. You will also then be able to post a link to it, so that deathz0r can figure out which file you're talking about and eventually review it. If your file isn't there at all, then it probably was REJECTed.

Third, why do you make maps? Is it merely to get them reviewed, or is it to enjoy creating something and sharing that enjoyment with others? Or perhaps you can be like Stealthy Ivan and only send your WADs to friends who you know will like them and will stroke your ego by praising your creations.

kristus said:

And Skulltag got Scirmish mode. Or you can set DM flag in the consol and load the map through that. There's NO END TO THE POSSABILITIES. :O

Skirmish. :3

Ahh BS, I love ye. Also Kaiser, your Town of Witchcraft map is pretty got damn awesome, it's f'in huge and intricate, i luv it.

Funniest newstuff ever.

Mancerxx was awesome, good to see old talent re-emerge from the depths of Doom.

Two more maps that didn't make it into this /newstuff edition -- my brother's "The Outer Darkness" and my "The Hazard Variation" (these were uploaded in August, and I guess they were too late for the last /newstuff and too early for this one!)

The Outer Darkness - The Hazard Variation

It'd be nice to know the official /newstuff word on these levels :)

Bloodshedder said:

... WADs to friends who you know will like them and will stroke your ego...

That's not what the man with the puppies said :(

Yay for Newstuff hilarity :D Can't wait to check some of these out.

Ego stroking aside, I'd say people are incentivized to make new maps if they know people will play and enjoy them. It's a badge of honor to make popular content for the community, one that inspires people to expand and improve. And what's the easiest way for the community find maps that are enjoyable to play...?

Don't agree? Show me a map you made that you don't want anyone to play.

KennyJC said:

Kenny, send me a copy of your map. I'd be glad to check it out. If it were me, I wouldn't bother sending those guys any more of my maps. If they can't respond to your simple question (which I personally thought was a reasonable one) with any more respect than that, I wouldn't waste my time. And frankly I don't understand where these guys get off talking to people the way they do on here, regardless of who they are. The very least people deserve who come to these forums, is respect. And as far as I'm concerned, the people that can't offer that, should keep their comments to themselves. Besides, you talk to them like that and see what happens. You'll see what I mean after some of them have read this post. I'm sure the flames are going to fly. But so be it. The truth is that, in any other respectable gamers forum, that kind of thing is not tolerated.

The problem, Marco, is that it was already explained earlier in the thread what the necessary steps are to see why a wad wasn't reviewed and to ensure it does in the future if possible. It was obvious that these instructions were not read. There are only so many times one can say the same thing nicely, as you can see at least one person prior also did not get the concept of what had to be done.

And something else which you seem to not understand yourself is that one does not send their wads to idgames /newstuff to be reviewed - that's so far from the point. As has been explained in this thread already, dw offers this as an ancillary service completely separate from the idgames archive. The purpose of uploading your files to idgames is so they're in the archive (that doomworld does not run in any fashion). So, people whining that their wads weren't reviewed and then threatening not to "upload to newstuff anymore" are only doing a disservice to everyone else - for dw it matters not, the reviewer in charge will just review whatever comes in.

And finally, not everything in the world is rainbows and lollipops, so don't get your knots in a bunch over something like large text.

P.S. I think dw is a more respected gaming forum BECAUSE it has a lower tolerance for bullshit. Think about it...

Mancubus II said:
And finally, not everything in the world is rainbows and lollipops, so don't get your knots in a bunch over something like large text.

Funny how in EE the guy is telling people how they should be understanding and considerate with the authorities, but here he's so quick to censure the site authorities when they flatly point out the rules, procedures, and situation of the site.

I gather he believes that, unlike the USA, Doomworld is indeed a direct democracy.

Fucking A.

EDIT: Okay, here's my review of "Bold As War". See Grazza's link above ->

A small old-school map featuring a straightforward progression, some nice visuals and one or two fun traps. Set in a marble/wooden complex built into the side of a mountain, it all looks and feels like an E4 map converted to Doom 2, which -- I guess -- was the author's intention. The fights are pretty easy, especially with all the firepower you're given, but it doesn't matter much, because they're quite fun. I especially enjoyed the fight at the blue key. The ammo and health balance is fine, though perhaps a little on the generous side (depending slightly on whether or not you want to wait for the monsters to kill off each other). I found myself expecting traps were there were none, and stumbling into other traps, which I found quite amusing. Two fine secrets; one was exactly where I thought it would be, but I had to look a bit for the other one. Tread carefully throughout, as there are a number of inescapable lava pits (there should have been teleports out of these). All in all, expect 10 minutes of classic dooming fun. --4/5

Just played your level Kenny and enjoyed it very much. Overall it's a solid, quality map, and it plays quite well too. Although pretty easy on the whole, I think most doomers would give it better than average marks. I do agree that a transporter or elevator would be nice to help get the player out of the various pits you run into. At the same time, I know some mappers these days leave those out on purpose to increase difficulty. And that's cool too.

I personally think Boldwar might look good in a regular or mini-megawad as one of the first two or three levels. Whether you do that or not, I hope you'll continue to map because it looks to me like you've got good potential.

I am saddened to see people recommending against mappers uploading their creations to /idgames.

The point of /idgames is to be a central repository for every pwad ever made, and that's what it's been ever since the mid 90s. Long before the idea of Doomworld itself was ever conceived, let alone T/nC.

I think it's extremely important that everything (or at least everything decent) is eventually made available from there.

Imagine if everyone's maps were spread across a hundred different personal websites, most of which would probably have dropped offline over the years since the wads were made.

Ask yourself, would you still be playing the game if you couldn't easily find a almost endless collection of new maps to run?

We upload to the archive to archive our creations. That's why it's called "the archive". Not to see your name up in lights next to a glowing review from some upstart website that hasn't even been around for a decade. :)

RjY said:

I am saddened to see people recommending against mappers uploading their creations to /idgames.

The point of /idgames is to be a central repository for every pwad ever made, and that's what it's been ever since the mid 90s. Long before the idea of Doomworld itself was ever conceived, let alone T/nC.

I think it's extremely important that everything (or at least everything decent) is eventually made available from there.

Imagine if everyone's maps were spread across a hundred different personal websites, most of which would probably have dropped offline over the years since the wads were made.

Ask yourself, would you still be playing the game if you couldn't easily find a almost endless collection of new maps to run?

We upload to the archive to archive our creations. That's why it's called "the archive". Not to see your name up in lights next to a glowing review from some upstart website that hasn't even been around for a decade. :)

I agree 100%. And I'm sure these guys trying to review all these wads are snowed under. Especially when they've got a lot of other responsibilities on their own to deal with. I also agree RjY that all of the wads ever made ought to be eventually made available in the id archive. Now I'm sure there are people who just want to see their creation highlighted in the review column. But I suspect that the goal of a lot of mappers is just to have a way publicly to let the Doom community know that their wad has been released. If you think about it, it's a nice problem for us to have. Here we are all these years later getting an overflow of pwads for the original games. I wonder if there might be something that could be done to make sure that none of these new releases falls through the cracks. I would hate to think, for example, that quality maps like KennyJC's recent boldwar.wad might never be learned about because people didn't see anything in the forums about it. I know it was mentioned that the mapper could just post a link to his project in the forums, and that's ok. But unless someone comes in and reads every individual post in the thread, they might overlook an isolated link about a new level.

I thought of a couple of things that might be considered:

1)Enlist more reviewers from the community to help take some of the workload off the guys now doing it. I myself am not a mapper, but I have played hundreds of wads over the years and submitted many demos for the SDA. It wouldn't be fair for me to evaluate technical aspects of the maps, but as far as things like gameplay, difficulty, progression, look, and feel, I think I could provide a reasonable opinion.

2) Secondly, when there are more maps coming in to "Newstuff" than there's time to review, what about just listing them on the tail-end of the weekly posting under the heading of "NOT REVIEWED." That way, at least everything's listed whether it got reviewed or not. It might also make it easier to make sure everything that comes in can be directly sent to the id archive.

Any thoughts?

Marco said:
I know it was mentioned that the mapper could just post a link to his project in the forums, and that's ok. But unless someone comes in and reads every individual post in the thread, they might overlook an isolated link about a new level.

It's hard to see how you agree with RjY "100%" while failing to see his main point. What people really interested in knowing about all the new idgames releases have to do is click on the newstuff directory at least once a week. T/nC is merely an opinion of the Doomworld staff, or specifically the reviewer(s) in question, of the wads that pass through it.

If noobs and such are going to bring this sort of thing up every so often (as has been the case for years) it might be wise to add a disclaimer that says something like this to each T/nC: T/nC is a Doomworld overview and opinion of addons that go into idgames. To make sure you don't miss any new wads, be sure to visit newstuff directly on a regular basis.

OK, my bad. I didn't know that when somebody sends a map in, it goes directly into the id database. And then you guys pull a few of those out each week to review. I see now that I was confusing the link for the NS Chronicles weekly post with the link for the Newstuff directory. I was thinking that they were one in the same. I'm not a noob to Doomworld by any means but not being a mapper myself, I have never submitted anything but demos over the years. I think you're right though about posting a disclaimer such as the one you mentioned:

T/nC is a Doomworld overview and opinion of addons that go into idgames. To make sure you don't miss any new wads, be sure to visit newstuff directly on a regular basis.

That might help cut down on some of the confusion when it arises.

Thanks for clearing that up for me myk. If I can ever help you guys with anything pertaining to any of this, let me know.

Grazza said:

Just to fucking reduce the fucking drama levels, I'll fucking well point out that the fucking wad in fucking question is this fucking one.

Man I can't believe it took that long for someone to finally give me a link, thanks Grazza

And I'll be checking out Karthik's links too.

I really liked the thimble series. You know, the one with the carrot top and balemic cat in the corner. Uhh... I'm tired. The E1 Incarnate one. Not the E1 test (haven't played that one yet) but the one reviewed out of order above that one... yeah. Great stuff. My kind of map. Maleopic. Pedantic. Good word, but not sure its meaning. Look forward to playing E1 test and whatever else that there author might produce.
Kitchen ware. Cabinetry. porous and refined.

Say, when is the next /newstuff? Sunday approacheth.

I'm just popping in here to say it's cool to have seen my wad (that'd be mancerxx) reviewed in the newstuff chronicles. I'm glad you didn't notice the somewhat incompleteness of the lighting in MAP04, or at least didn't make any remarks. :)

You know, it got me thinking about those days gone by.. Back in The Day we didn't have these new fangled fancy schmancy wad reviews to separate the good from the bad. You simply said a little prayer, found something to bite on if it was needed, connected to ftp.cdrom.com, and hoped something didn't crash..... Yep, those were the days. 2rooms was one of my old favorites, back then you gave respect where it was due when you could say "this map has multiple sectors". True story. What about Hallway? Instant classic. Or Stairway? Science has proven that map to be mind boggling, 2 thumbs up. Bringing back a lot of memories here and it's sapping all my energy, I think I'm going to go lay down now. Keep up the good work deathz0r!

*knocks a bunch of shit over with his cane on the way out*

ps- those are probably real wad names, I'm just screwing around though ;)