Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Bionic Commando....OMG!

Sweet. I hope despite being ultra 3D, there's still some resemblance to the classic gameplay which made the original so addictive. I like the remixed music. Although worryingly, in places it looks a bit like a Spiderman ripoff.

DooMAD said:

Although worryingly, in places it looks a bit like a Spiderman ripoff.

Unfortunately due to today's spoiled generation, they would think so. Release a Plok sequel today and they'll dismiss it as a Rayman ripoff.

Whenever I hear of Bionic Commando, I remember this review:

(The only thing that is Bionic is your right arm, and he probably needed the replacement from too much .... - Kev)

The good?, not much I'm afraid. Disgraceful graphics and sound straight from the speccy +2 haunts us. Pray tell, what did we ever do on the Spectrum? We bought them out (big mistake in my opinion) and this is how they pay us back! Give me a break. Playability, let me tell you something about playability! The game's too f**king hard! that sums it up! I'm sorry if this seems more like a lecture than a review, but to tell you the truth, It's not worth reviewing, never ming playing! Honestly you would have a better time locking yourself in the bathroom and @*&()^% "&%^H&%( silly. (Bionic Arm to the rescue? ;) - Kev)

Damn Spectrum ruining the CPC's reputation with its shitty ports ;-)

Looks like an unlicensed Spiderman game.

Bionic Commando sequel for the DS .. now that would rule. (2d of course)

I loved the NES game as a kid, so I'm really looking forward to this. Statements like "it looks like an unlicensed spiderman game" doesn't make sense, since bionic commando is way cooler then spiderman.

True, but being highly skeptical about the gaming industry as I am, I can't help but think the likeness is intentional to attract gamers already familiar with the tried and tested formula. Originality is sadly a dead concept these days.

theonly thing spider-man like about it is the swinging, which was a part of the original game. the swing-cam looked good in spider-man, so why not use something like it in bionic commando? I would think it would take some more skill and timing for swinging since you only have one hand to use.

Captain Red said:

I better be able to explode Hitlers head >:(

yeah, that was pretty damn fun wasn't it? lets fight the diesel, shirtless Hitler! LOL. that was bugged out. i wonder if they are gonna have the wack ass neutral zones in this one.

The graphics look nice in a depth-of-field, blurry, bloomy kind of way, but I get the impression that once theyre actually seen at gameplay res they'll look fairly standard. The shadows looked great until that one helicopter was hovering, and I could see the shadowmap flickering. Ew.
Gameplay... Cant tell much other than yay swinging about a lot. I dont base gameplay opinions from trailers anyway...

All in all, nice trailer, I'll wait and see.

Heh, I remember playing that game at my cousin's house and getting owned horribly.

The original is extremely fun, just takes quite a while to get used to the bionic arm, and not being able to jump. The new game, to me, looks like a spider man clone. It might not be, but I'm not a fan of making 2d games 3d. Mario was never the same after going to 3d, Zelda wasn't either. Metroid Prime wasn't bad, but to me it never really matched Super Metroid. I'd prefer if they stayed 2d. I'm really hoping that a 2d Contra comes out on a next gen platform, I really loved Shattered Soldier. The mix of 2d platforming and rendered backgrounds looks classy, but still keeps the heart. Hence, I'm really looking forward to that "Rearmed" game that leileilol linked to. Looks awesome, good graphics, good 2d game play. Win. I really think it's a shame that 2d games have gotten shoved to the side, considering most the people that grew up on nes, snes, and genesis are now in their 20's, and have some disposable income. The old games still have nostalgic value, and fun value to that demographic. My two cents anyways, bring back the 2d side scroller.

Jello said:
Zelda [was never the same after going to 3d] Metroid Prime wasn't bad, but to me it never really matched Super Metroid.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest Zelda fan, but aren't the N64 ones regarded by the gibbering fans as where the series peaked?

Any who, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on rearmed. I just hope I get my damn jump button.

Captain Red said:

I'll admit I'm not the biggest Zelda fan, but aren't the N64 ones regarded by the gibbering fans as where the series peaked?

I've played Zelda since the first game's release and the peak for me was Link to the Past for being the funnest and such.

Zelda64 is only popular to those who had SNES or N64 as their first system and other later gen kids.

Rearmed does look quite spectacular. It looks faithful to the original, but also expands upon it, like being able to use the arm for picking people up rather than just knocking them back a bit.

That said, if you did have a bionic arm, you would just go around smacking people in the face with it, wouldn't you. It would almost be a crime not to.

Indeed, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are generally regarded as the best Zelda games, however I've never seen it. I managed to trudge through Ocarina once because I really wanted to see how it ended, but it just wasn't very fun. The camera was annoying, the NPCs were annoying, and combat wasn't enjoyable. Personal opinion, but my favorite's are still Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Wind Waker was enjoyable, I found it funner than Ocarina of Time, but it still wasn't anywhere near the 2d ones. The original was great, but every time I got far into it, I would have to go to dinner or something, and my NES would somehow shut off and lose my save file. God bless that glitchy system.
Rearmed should be a hoot though, I'm on the fence about a jump button. On one side, one of the hardest parts of the original is using the arm instead of being able to just jump over things, gave it a lot more strategy. On the other hand, dammit I should be able to jump on to something that's lower than my waist. So we'll see.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

God yes, I have been waiting for this forever.

Next up, a decent 3D Contra.

Are you kidding me? Contra Shattered Soldier was amazing.

that rearmed look sweet. I was a huge fan of the original. the 3d one looks nice, but I can't see how it would be better than the original. I would love to get a crack at this remake.

as for the zelda series comments, I think link to the past was the best, but the 3d ones are quite enjoyable, especially the twilight princess. the graphics were great and gameplay was better than the n64 versions. I'm currently playing phantom hourglass on the DS, which is a continuation of windwaker. it's a very fun game.

as far as games that should have never gone 3d, castlevania comes to mind. that n64 game was crap. SotN on playstation brought it back to 2d and did a mcuh better job.

I would have to agree, the N64 Castlevania was complete crap. It just didn't work, although very few games for the n64 did, aside from Doom, Goldeneye, Body Harvest, Turok, and mario 64. I tried Twilight Princess, but I didn't much care for it either. It took a good hour to get to any sort of combat, and then I turned in to a wolf for some reason. I played it for a while afterwards as well, mind you, but it wasn't fun. I don't play Zelda games so I can run around as a wolf in between very short periods of playing as Link, and when I was Link the combat was virtually identical to Ocarina of Time. I would suggest Alien Hominid to any of you folks looking for a nice 2d side scroller in the same vein as Contra or Metal Slug though. It was released on PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox I believe, and there was a new HD version released on xbox live.