Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmdr

Vavoom 1.25 - Hurrah!

One of the most advanced Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife source port around has released a new version (some time ago, admittedly), bringing it to version 1.25. In addition to fancy-pants OpenGL rendering, models, 3d floors, slopes, and lots else, Mr. Legzdinsh's port now boasts the following improvements:

It has a new inventory system, several new features and changes to the VavoomC language and progs structure, rewritten graphical launcher which is now also available on Linux and other platforms, and of course other improvements and bug fixes.

Sounds interesting! Why not wander over to their website and have a little look-see?

Xtife said:
never heard of it :D

Yes you have, you inbred G/ZDoomite.

kristus said:

Vavoom is probably the most underestimated port of them all.

Agreed. People just ditch and delete after they see how fat and short the sprites look

myk said:

Yes you have, you inbred G/ZDoomite.

OH SNAP

Vavoom has a special place in my heart because it could run on a RAGE Pro without crashing. That alone is impressive enough for me to give it another look.

leileilol said:

Agreed. People just ditch and delete after they see how fat and short the sprites look

Please don't tell me that this still isn't fixed - after so many years...

Anyway, not that I mind that he is taking code from ZDoom. But I'd appreciate if he gave proper credit. But largely no such luck - and he took almost the entire inventory system for this release.

wow, looks better in software mode than in opengl. I forgot this is one of few (if not the only port) that keeps all opengl type stuff available in software mode. (especially the lighting)

Arguably the most powerful port (Uses C language, VavoomC) but arguably the least popular. Kind of a shame! Runs great too.

Ive never tried it but I hope to fix that soon if I can get their site to load. I had no idea we had a port that has both 3d floors AND slopes, I like that very much.

Oh my God. This version can handle doom skies correctly even on map12 and map17 after red door. But T-junction problems still there. It blinks like hell on ATI. Even on floors.

No. Wads are unplayable often. And it's slow - 3x slower than gzdoom or glboom-plus. And it can't build the nodes for some wads at all. For dmdjm02.wad for example - I can't start the level.

Another old bug. Vavoom can't build nodes for much wads if I start it in OpenGL mode. I must start it with software renderer, build the nodes and restart in OpenGL. Stupidly.

kristus said:

*cough*eternity*cough*

Vavoom has the potential to be a nice port, it just has certain annoying issues that prevent it from being a great port. Bit like ZDoom, except for the obvious popularity thing.

John Smith said:

Vavoom has the potential to be a nice port, it just has certain annoying issues that prevent it from being a great port.

TRUE

John Smith said:

*cough*eternity*cough*

Indeed, Somehow it keeps slipping under the editing crowd's radar. If only Milennium or Mordeth would ever be released (heh), then atleast that should spark some intrest in the port. But there's of course other ods that is using it. Esselfortium's project where they're buildings maps based on the original Doom2 map's names. But that's also far from being released. :/