Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

A Megawad for 2006 (1monster) [Finished]

I see it in /incoming, but there needs to be a .txt file (1mmwd.txt) there as well or it will be rejected.

Ichor said:

I see it in /incoming, but there needs to be a .txt file (1mmwd.txt) there as well or it will be rejected.

That's only part of the file. Liberation tells me he had trouble getting in and was disconnected when he was in the middle of the upload. He's sent the final version to me and I'll try to get it up there, but I haven't had a chance to do it today until now. I just need to grab an FTP client and read the FAQ just to make sure I know what I'm doing.

EDIT: Actually, looking at this, there are some things I want to ask him about before this is released. Looks like we'll have to postpone it just a little longer.

EDIT2: All I can manage to get once it lets me in is "1 user from <IP> is already logged in. Try again in 10 minutes." I'm going to get some sleep for now and try again in the morning.

It looks like it's been released. Now all that's left is for it to be moved to /newstuff.

Ichor said:

It looks like it's been released. Now all that's left is for it to be moved to /newstuff.

Ohjoyohjoyohjoy
It's about time.

There are a total of 25 maps (24 + 1 secret), not quite a full 32 maps. I'm just glad it's finished.

Ichor said:

There are a total of 25 maps (24 + 1 secret), not quite a full 32 maps. I'm just glad it's finished.

This is like the anti-32in24
25 in 17,000

Since it looks like the wad is going to sit in /incoming for a week, maybe Liberation or whoever has the final version can load it to a file hosting site like Rapidshare until it's moved to /newstuff.

Ichor said:

Since it looks like the wad is going to sit in /incoming for a week, maybe Liberation or whoever has the final version can load it to a file hosting site like Rapidshare until it's moved to /newstuff.

Done. [updated link on the next page]

This. Is. Awesome.

At least the two levels I played. (so far)

Sadly, this is the last possible wad with a restriction that I can think of. 1024, 64, 10sectors, 2sectors, and now 1monster. Any more ideas?

Impie said:

Make a challenging level where you have to use every monster type only once?

I'd been throwing that idea around for a while. It could be interesting, but it might also get pretty boring in a megawad. You don't know until you try, I guess.

Ryathaen said:

I'd been throwing that idea around for a while. It could be interesting, but it might also get pretty boring in a megawad. You don't know until you try, I guess.

The Doom community did some impressive stuff with levels limited to two sectors. I bet it can be pulled off. Or maybe if the mappers aren't required to use every monster, just one of each monster they plan to use. I dunno.

Bingbing said:Sadly, this is the last possible wad with a restriction that I can think of. 1024, 64, 10sectors, 2sectors, and now 1monster. Any more ideas? [/B]

No monster. Just traps, puzzles and hazards.

Would probably need to be made for a port with script capabilities, like ZDoom, rather than compatible with all limit-removing ports, though.

What about a level in which you have a restricted amount of monsters to use, like 16 zombiemans, 12 shotgunners, 8 imps, 6 demons, 4 barons, 2 mancubi & 1 arch-vile for example. Some thought would be needed to make the map interesting. There could be different amounts of monsters for levelsets from maps01-07, maps08-11, maps12-20 & 21-30. But only 5-8 different monsters are allowed at a time.

Nebula-Kristian said:There could be different amounts of monsters for levelsets from maps01-07, maps08-11, maps12-20 & 21-30. But only 5-8 different monsters are allowed at a time. [/B]

A megawad on the following principle:
1 monster at MAP01.
2 monsters at MAP02.
4 monsters at MAP03.
8 monsters at MAP04.

Titlepic could be a picture of a chessboard with rice grains on it...

You'd get 536 870 912 monsters at MAP30. :P It would only be manageable if kept at about the size of a Doom 1 episode.

More seriously, what you propose would be far less restrictive than 1monster. There are probably many already existing maps that are about what you describe.

An other possibility would be a completely different kind of a restriction; so far the restrictions have been rather on the technical side while the maps' themes could have been whatever they please. So what about a wad where a few midis are chosen and some fitting (possibly a little limited) texture packs are gathered for each midi. Then every mapper chooses a midi (and the accompanying texture pack) and does whatever he wants with those resources.

Or a 1monster which allows custom monsters, although that would restrict the wad to advanced ports... :(

I've been thinking of a berserk megawad. Use any monster you like (except maybe zombies since they drop stuff) with the same rules as 1monster, but the only weapon you'll have is the berserked fist (and the pistol of course).

Also, there was some talk earlier of a second 1monster project once this was done.

Ichor said:

I've been thinking of a berserk megawad. Use any monster you like (except maybe zombies since they drop stuff) with the same rules as 1monster, but the only weapon you'll have is the berserked fist (and the pistol of course).

I would play a Tyson megawad (so we can use the chainsaw also), but I wouldn't want it to be combined with the 1monster restriction. It would make the levels too monotonous. A whole megawad of Tyson levels needs every sort of variety it can get.

There are ways around the zombie issue. You could use ZDoom trickery or something, so the zombies don't drop weapons, or only use zombies in places the player cannot reach, or relax the Tyson restriction so you could very occasionally use the shotgun (not the chaingun though).

Gez said:

1 monster at MAP01.
2 monsters at MAP02.
4 monsters at MAP03.
8 monsters at MAP04.

I know this is sort of a joke, but I like the idea. It could work if you only went up to 12 or so maps.

Ichor said:

Also, there was some talk earlier of a second 1monster project once this was done.

I was going to start a thread once the excitement of this release had died down, but there doesn't seem to be much excitement anyway. I have the feeling most people just ignore this thread since it's been around for so long.

Ryathaen said:

I was going to start a thread once the excitement of this release had died down, but there doesn't seem to be much excitement anyway. I have the feeling most people just ignore this thread since it's been around for so long.

Yeah, you'd have to wait for the next newstuff chronicles for getting some more attention I guess. But that aside I wish there'd be a 2nd 1monster...

I liked what I played so far. I only got to MAP10 since I was playing this at around 1 AM and I was getting really sleepy. It's a shame that only 25 maps were made. Were you guys still looking for mappers by the time this was released? I would have loved to contributed a map.

As far as another theme would go, how about chainsaws only?

Lizardcommando said:

I liked what I played so far. I only got to MAP10 since I was playing this at around 1 AM and I was getting really sleepy. It's a shame that only 25 maps were made. Were you guys still looking for mappers by the time this was released? I would have loved to contributed a map.

As far as another theme would go, how about chainsaws only?

For the last few months, we were fixing up the maps that were already finished (bug fixes, etc.). We didn't really know how long it would take, so we didn't try anymore maps. It would have been nice to get 32 maps, but I'm just satisfied that all of the monsters were featured at least once.

I wish we had got 32 maps, but it just didnt happeren, when 1monster is sent to newstuff perhaps a new thread or a post on DW news would be a good way of spreading the news.

great mapset so far. I got thru the secret level last nite before crashing. that spookhouse map is my fave as far as atmosphere goes.

Gez said:

1 monster at MAP01.
2 monsters at MAP02.
4 monsters at MAP03.
8 monsters at MAP04.
You'd get 536 870 912 monsters at MAP30. :P It would only be manageable if kept at about the size of a Doom 1 episode.

More seriously, what you propose would be far less restrictive than 1monster. There are probably many already existing maps that are about what you describe.

Not very bad like idea, gez.

And finally, i downloaed the LAST veersion of 1monster wad. BTW, why shaikoten don't think to made for the next 32in24 a similar idea. I haved fun playing, testing, and mapping on this wad, so i'll wait for the next sequel with pleasure.

I suppose after the next Newstuff Chronicles you guys could always release "1monster: Championship Edition" with 32 instead of 25.

And I wish I had more to contribute than ideas at the moment, 'cos any idiot can have an idea, but I think this one's worth considering if it hasn't been done already: a no weapons megawad. You can only flip switches, dodge monsters, and pick up non-weapon powerups.

Yes there are, although it hasn't been tested on co-op very much, if at all.