Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MP2E

Advance Frame?

Advance frame is a function that helps TAS demo-ers A WHOLE LOT. Most TAS-ers for Emulations of Consoles or Handhelds have Advance Frame as one of their functions so I'm wondering why DOOM, the first game to HAVE TASing, does not have this feature through PrBoom+. What Advance frame is, is it freezes a frame, then you press a certain key to advance to the next frame, Allowing perfection in TASing that Slow-motion just can't do. Here is a site that has loads of info on Advance Frame.
http://tasvideos.org/WhyAndHow.html
Perhaps this could be in the next PrBoom+?

What's the point? It removes the essence of speedrunning- thinking quick and making snap judgement.

yomoneyboat said:

What's the point? It removes the essence of speedrunning- thinking quick and making snap judgement.

This is for Tool-Assisted Speedrunning, which is trying to get the best time physically possible out of level by eliminating human error.

Dr. Zin said:

This is for Tool-Assisted Speedrunning, which is trying to get the best time physically possible out of level by eliminating human error.

So, once they've figured out the "perfect" Doom run (which would be possible using programs, assuredly), it's over for speedrunning.

yomoneyboat said:

So, once they've figured out the "perfect" Doom run (which would be possible using programs, assuredly), it's over for speedrunning.

No, because the "perfect" run is unobtainable by a human player. Look at Rambo Bone's 14:02 TAS run (which actually is suboptimal). TAS has been done in Doom for quite a long time (I want to say at least since '98), and has not killed off speedrunning.

TAS and normal play are 2 seperate categories and neither one makes the other meaningless. It's sort of like how NASCAR doesn't make bicycle racing meaningless.

Dr. Zin said:

No, because the "perfect" run is unobtainable by a human player. Look at Rambo Bone's 14:02 TAS run (which actually is suboptimal). TAS has been done in Doom for quite a long time (I want to say at least since '98), and has not killed off speedrunning.

Exactly. They don't even effect each other. TASing is to see how fast a game can possibley be beaten, human or not, and Human Speedrunning is how fast a HUMAN can do it.

But that's beside the point... Advance frame should be implemented into AT LEAST one doom port out there, PrBoom+ would be the best candidate however since it already has tools for TASing.

I've used some of the tools that people use to create the replays at tasvideos.org and I would say that despite the more cryptic interface my DRE (doom replay editor) is a much better tool since it can step backwards (which some console editors can't do), provides more game info (such as directions, rand seeds etc) and allows you to walk around the level in freezemode. So overall I'd say doom tas'ing and replay editing is superior to alot of emulated console tas'ing and they need to do the catch up.

RamboBones said:

I've used some of the tools that people use to create the replays at tasvideos.org and I would say that despite the more cryptic interface my DRE (doom replay editor) is a much better tool since it can step backwards (which some console editors can't do), provides more game info (such as directions, rand seeds etc) and allows you to walk around the level in freezemode. So overall I'd say doom tas'ing and replay editing is superior to alot of emulated console tas'ing and they need to do the catch up.

Wow rambo, I had no idea such a tool even existed. I've downloaded and it is incredible! Thank you! Hopefully someday I can make a full TAS demo of Hell Revealed on UV with this.

EDIT: Dang, I can't get it to work. It says "Exiting on signal 11"

MP2E said:
EDIT: Dang, I can't get it to work. It says "Exiting on signal 11"

Not sure what version you found. But try this one I think I included all the required dll's with it.

RamboBones said:

Not sure what version you found. But try this one I think I included all the required dll's with it.

Thanks, that version works perfectly!
EDIT2: I get it now... I was just being stupid..

Hopefully someday I can make a full TAS demo of Hell Revealed on UV with this.

Hey, it's me who works on this movie now! Just wait until i finish it (comes soon) and then go ahead beating it :) Or did you mean UV max run? Would be cool to see a quality slaughter TAS movie.