Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Yeah, they've been removed. Good (Requiem and MM2) stuff, by the way, and I especially liked that rather epic Map21 max.

A demo under 15 mins would be definitely fantastic run for this map. I suppose that such time is out of my abilities. Seems this is a task for top notch players only.

I've uploaded a Memento Mori II UV speed demo for the first of the two top-secret levels, Secret Operation 1 (yes, the worst level in the pack.) I marked it as a misc demo, since it doesn't appear that the two levels are eligible for competition. It's in the file M2S1-034.ZIP. In case you don't know how to access the level, please follow the instructions in the .txt provided.

And yes, this is the same Green Herring Opulent mentioned in the Icarus thread. :)

Eugene's new mm27-328 appears to show a clear occurence of the "shooting through things" glitch, that favors the Player; he gets attacked by a Revenant while cornered against a wall but isn't hit (after crossing that area with slime).

No it isn't, although it's close enough that it looks like it. I put some printfs into A_SkelFist and P_CheckMeleeRange to see this:

A_SkelFist: checking range
A_SkelFist: checking distance (39.488037 < 60.000000)
A_SkelFist: checking sight
A_SkelFist: Hit!
A_SkelFist: checking distance (168.145645 < 60.000000)
A_SkelFist: checking distance (61.120636 < 60.000000) looks close enough to connect
A_SkelFist: checking distance (68.901413 < 60.000000)
(that is the four swings from the second revenant in the tunnel, the first tries to punch once but dies from a lucky pellet before it calls A_SkelFist to complete the punch)

RjY said:
that is the four swings from the second revenant in the tunnel

Yeah, that's the one that had given me the (misleading) impression.

Excellent hr13 demo, whoever made that; much faster than my neurotic tries confirming I suck at this game. Also great idea to trick the 'cage of death' door to reopen by purposely closing it on a baron's head.

My dirty deeds have been uncovered ;)

Well your demos have inspired me to take a look at some HR demos and play around with improving some routes etc.

The door trick is a bit of a compromise between speed and safety, as entering the cage right away while the arachs are still inside is possibly faster than waiting for a monster to block the door.

On another note, ZDoom or no ZDoom, keyboarding up a time comparable with Ryback's is far from sucking :P

It was just down temporarily. It happens every so often, as is the case with a lot of sites.

Later edit: Odd, it appeared to be up and working normally when I made this post...

Unfortunately, this isn't just the usual case where it's down, as it's expired. Oddly, the established expiration date seems to have been 2008-09-28 (from Bahdko's registration in 2000-09-28), so it seems to have been shut down prematurely.

EDIT: Ah, no, it did really expire yesterday:

Registrar: 000DOM
Domain Name: DOOM2.NET
Created on: 28-SEP-00
Expires on: 28-SEP-07
Last Updated on: 28-SEP-06 

Renewing it costs an irrelevant amount, and can be paid by anyone (not just the original registrant). I'm minded just to do it, unless anyone feels that would be treading on toes, or whatnot.

Grazza said:
I'm minded just to do it, unless anyone feels that would be treading on toes, or whatnot.

Bahdko was on #nightmare 3 days ago, so you night want to contact her about it. As far as I know she hasn't publicly said anything about the site recently. Maybe she forgot it was about to expire.

Odd, it appeared to be up and working normally when I made this post...

Perhaps it was in your browser's cache.

If anyone knows the ip for her server one can just put it in one's hosts file. Obviously that's not an ideal solution but those that frequent it can at least find out how to still access it easily.

Well, it's been a while since I made some doom demos, but now I have just done a nightmare demo for requiem map08. Next would probably be maps 15(both exits) and map22.

Good stuff.

Have merged this with the "compet-n incoming" thread, as I think that makes it more obvious where the demo can be found. Hope that's OK.

New demo: rn22-753. I tried to do a rn15 but it turned out to be harder than I expected so it may take a while longer. This one was fairly simple though.

Hey Vono, thanks for completely pissing me off with "this isn't so hard" on your description for pl30. I don't mind if you're capable of beating something, even if it's mine or not, but you know... just.... nevermind. I refuse to watch it because you are arrogant, and it's probably best if I just keep my mouth shut.

Now... As for the demos and such, anyone know anything about an update? I actually stumbled on this by typing my name in Google and clicking another link somewhere... and yes, I'm alive, just out of contact at the moment. I seriously miss playing =(

Altima said:
Now... As for the demos and such, anyone know anything about an update?

An update seems quite unlikely. Adam is MIA, so there's not much to do about it. See here especially for talk about COMPET-N's legacy.

Why the negativity? It's a demo that beats some other 4 year old demo. What's the point in making a fuss about a description in a text file when the scene is completely different anyway after a long period of fading away slowly but steadily.

Edit: Besides, I can't even say he was wrong after getting a 49 myself :P

Well sorry Altima if I offended you with that demo. I probably said it was easy because I got it rather quickly. I think at this point we should put aside our differences. I know that I should have kept my mouth shut about that e2m8 Tyson -fast demo.

Beating the demo isn't the point. If you beat it, that's fine, but I just feel like you made me and everyone with a demo before that look like we didn't know what we were doing with that sort of description.

Whoa, 30NS... time to sit back with the popcorn bowl!

Altima said:
If you beat it, that's fine, but [...]

Please don't smear the fun here by resurrecting ancient #nightmare vendettas. If you really need to sort this stuff out, use PM or email.