Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

A Megawad for 2006 (1monster) [Finished]

I got up to MAP05 before I noticed a glaring error. Specifically, the part in that map where the pink Demons are dropped into an outdoors area by means of conveyor belts does not appear to have been tested outside of ZDoom. How do I know this? Because outside of ZDoom, solid objects cannot go over or under other solid objects, including actors (i.e. the player and enemies.) Because of this, every set of Demons in that scene except for the one nearest the switch is harmless until the barrels are blown up, as several pairs of them are blocking the Demons' ways out. Or was this intentional?

Apart from that, however, this is a nice map set so far. Great work!

The Green Herring said:

I got up to MAP05 before I noticed a glaring error. Specifically, the part in that map where the pink Demons are dropped into an outdoors area by means of conveyor belts does not appear to have been tested outside of ZDoom.

The sad part is that I did playtest that map in PrBoom. I must have shot the barrels beforehand or accidentally hit them as soon as the battle started.

In any case, this is the third change I've made since we uploaded to /incoming. So maybe it's best to consider this a public beta.

Played up to map08 so far and enjoyed every map... very thoughtful design in every facet. Great job!

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Some of the maps were exactly the kind of map that I like to play. However, I assume to make up for the lack of monster variation there were a few more crushing ceilings etc in evidence than normal which, I personally, didn't like but I can see others enjoying that. I wasn't sure how well the 1 monster thing would work out but it can be very effective as you guys proved.

The only problem I had was with the final/Icon map. The use of, what I assume is, voodoo doll scripting was impressive in the extreme. However, something clearly went wrong somewhere because after completing the challenge where you have to make your way across a room and the sector that you need to go to next flashes briefly, I was standing back outside the room, preparing myself for whatever challenge lay ahead, when for no apparent reason I started dying as if I were underneath a crushing ceiling. :(

I finally got around to playing the entire thing and I enjoyed it. I didn't expect to find alot of huge levels in this. The only thing I didn't like were some of the excessive backtracking you had to in a few levels. Aside from that, it was a pretty good megawad.

Enjay said:

The only problem I had was with the final/Icon map. The use of, what I assume is, voodoo doll scripting was impressive in the extreme. However, something clearly went wrong somewhere because after completing the challenge where you have to make your way across a room and the sector that you need to go to next flashes briefly, I was standing back outside the room, preparing myself for whatever challenge lay ahead, when for no apparent reason I started dying as if I were underneath a crushing ceiling. :(

That happened to me in the final room where you had to run around and flip those switches to shoot the Icon.

Enjay said:

...when for no apparent reason I started dying as if I were underneath a crushing ceiling.

Yeah, the original version didn't have that, so I was just as confused when I played the newer one as you were. It's basically a timed death thing from the moment you leave the first room. I'm not sure if I like it either, but it makes the map more hectic. Irritating and confusing, too, if you don't know what's happening to you.

Lizardcommando said:

The only thing I didn't like were some of the excessive backtracking you had to in a few levels.

Which maps do you mean, for example?

Enjay said:The only problem I had was with the final/Icon map. The use of, what I assume is, voodoo doll scripting was impressive in the extreme. However, something clearly went wrong somewhere because after completing the challenge where you have to make your way across a room and the sector that you need to go to next flashes briefly, I was standing back outside the room, preparing myself for whatever challenge lay ahead, when for no apparent reason I started dying as if I were underneath a crushing ceiling. :( [/B]

There's a time limit much like map 28 of scythe.wad (it even has a scrolling 'RUN!' at the beginning). It's a little over 2 minutes once you start up those steps, with easier difficulties give you some extra time.

You guys played the Weapons Resource WAD? One limit would be to use the "N" rated weapons in the Weapons Resource WAD Demo Level ONLY in a mapset.

That includes (off the top of my head)

A Phobus Duster (push the enemies around)
Necronomicon (creates spirits that go around searching for monsters bodies -- revive monsters on your side)
Some Necro Staff (same as above but without the spirits, you target the body)
Boss Cube Generator (generates boss cubes to land and create small enemies... so from Former Humans to Former Commandos basically)

and possibly one other thing that escapes me now.

Aha! so it wasn't a fault, it was by design. When it says run, it really means run then. :)

Ryathaen said:

Which maps do you mean, for example?

MAP13, MAP16, MAP19, and MAP20 come to mind. Maybe it's because of how big those maps were that it seemed like I had to do a lot of backtracking, I'm not sure. I didn't enjoy playing those maps. I got lost and confused playing them. The level design was interesting though, namely MAP16.

Lizardcommando said:

MAP13, MAP16, MAP19, and MAP20 come to mind. Maybe it's because of how big those maps were that it seemed like I had to do a lot of backtracking, I'm not sure. I didn't enjoy playing those maps. I got lost and confused playing them. The level design was interesting though, namely MAP16.

There really wasn't that much backtracking in map 19, but yeah, that map is huge.

Lizardcommando said:

Yeah, I'll give you 13 and 16. 19 and 20 are just huge, I think. My MAP09 is probably a little tedious too the way it keeps you basically circling the same area for most of the level.

Ryathaen said:

Yeah, I'll give you 13 and 16. 19 and 20 are just huge, I think. My MAP09 is probably a little tedious too the way it keeps you basically circling the same area for most of the level.

Nah, it's small enough for that not to be a problem.

BoldEnglishman said:

You guys played the Weapons Resource WAD? One limit would be to use the "N" rated weapons in the Weapons Resource WAD Demo Level ONLY in a mapset.

That includes (off the top of my head)

A Phobus Duster (push the enemies around)
Necronomicon (creates spirits that go around searching for monsters bodies -- revive monsters on your side)
Some Necro Staff (same as above but without the spirits, you target the body)
Boss Cube Generator (generates boss cubes to land and create small enemies... so from Former Humans to Former Commandos basically)

and possibly one other thing that escapes me now.

Or a similar thing using the monster\bosses resource wad, or the monster in torm667 bestiary. Hell yeah, somenthing like "Z1Monster"

Whoever edited my map ... nice job. It was a little one dimensional theming-wise. And I loooved the new trap at the end. =)

Bug-fixed version.

-Addressed the couple bugs brought up here
-Fixed a lot of minor things that no one would have noticed anyway
-Added missing co-op starts to two maps
-Repaired the end of MAP23 (I had broken it with one of my last-minute changes)

I'm downloading as we speak. Been waiting a long time for this WAD. Will report back after completion of it. Glad to see its finally done!

When it comes to bugs, in ravenant's map (20?) there is a small room with BFG that opened to me only once. (or did I have probably overlooked something?)
Cool that it's finally released btw.

Gusta said:

When it comes to bugs, in ravenant's map (20?) there is a small room with BFG that opened to me only once. (or did I have probably overlooked something?)
Cool that it's finally released btw.

That's supposed to happen. You just have to be quick.

That was not a good idea, there should be some alternate way how to pick the BFG later.

Played it yesterday. Good work all around. Both the Spectre levels were especially wonderful.

Gusta said:

That was not a good idea, there should be some alternate way how to pick the BFG later.

I thought it was rather clever. Secrets should be tough to get at, and it's not like you need the BFG that much.

Ryathaen said:

I thought it was rather clever. Secrets should be tough to get at, and it's not like you need the BFG that much.

It's true that you don't really need the BFG at all, but what's bad about the secret is that it's almost impossible for anyone to get on the first time playing the map unless they've taken a look at it in an editor first. And that's not a good thing for a secret that's placed so that it'll be laughing at the poor player if he fails to grab it...

This is funny... personally while playing a game, if I found an ultimate weapon that was in a map on a similar premise as this one, I would love to hear something like "denied" or "shit! missed it" depending on the flavor of the game, or see some texture saying as such if the game has no text or speech.

That being said... its a secret, meaning the map is not normally to be played with that, and to deny the player the weapon is a fair thing in this case, although this can be subjected as persons opinion.

On another note, I am very glad to see that no one had any problems with any of the maps I've had a hand in. "iT ar ^_^ makes me the happies!"