Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgentOrange

What is everyone's favorite installment of DOOM?

OK if i cant figure out how to get polls to work again...i'm just wondering what's everyone's favorite DOOM episode?

Select from
Doom (episode 1, 2, 3 or 4)
Doom2
Final Doom: TNT
Final DOom: Plutonia
Doom3

as for me, i love episode 2 the best ...could have used monsters such as the mancubus and other doom monsters but doom2 i thought didnt have that doom feel...and it took forever to beat (cause i never figured out strafing until about a year after i played doom2 the first time through...which also made ultimate doom pretty tough as well)

Episode 4 has the best detail methinks, but I think I will always love Episode 1. My thoughts about episode 2 and 3 playing it after years of only E1 were "man these are ugly!". In paticular that room that combined every startan...ugh

Episodes 1 and 4 most definitively. Also TNT and Plutonia for giving some decent "official" levels to the Doom 2 engine ;-)

Uhh.. Doom II. *hides* I know how that isn't everybody's favorite. When I first played it, I had never played any custom wads. The massive open spaces were really cool back when I first played the game, which was something that the first Doom was lacking. Doom II also pulled off the hell feeling better I think than what Doom did (of course there are a few levels where that is the exception).

yeah doom2 does have a better hell feel then episode 3, and i do like episode 1 but its too easy and short, even on nightmare its not much of a challenge...pretty good atmosphere though...and at least early episode2 is good...oh and for the heck of it my second favorite is episode3 just cause is hell, but the only maps i like are e3m1, e3m2, e3m7 and e3m9 (best secret level ever!

hmm maybe i should've added TNT and Plutonia too just because they're (sorta) an episode of doom...i dont think its true and official(more like a pwad sorta deal) but its still an Iwad.

in that case, tnt felt like doom2 sorta but better and bigger (sometimes too big) an plutonia is just tough, especially before i learned strafing...u know how hard it is to defeat a horde of revenants without strafing!?

Everyone plays E1 and E3, yet E2 is pretty unnoticed. I love the half tech, half hell feel of Shores of Hell, and a lot of the old abandoned areas with vines everywhere, and stained doorsand all of that. It has a sense of uncertainty that E1 didn't have and E3 couldn't of had (You kow you are gonna get beat down by demons in hell ;))

And Doom II is played far too much. The Mid-Later areas of that game are horribly mapped. :(
Its good for its... New features! Yeah, that'll do.

Final Doom is an official installment, and should be included (as two split episodes that is.) Currently my favorite would have to be Doom 2, with TNT:Evilution coming in second (Lots of good memories with evolution). Really, its a hard choice though because it depends on how I feel at the moment. I change my mind fairly often. In fact, I have to say I enjoy all of them pretty equally, yes even Doom 3.

E1 and E2 are pretty close to tied on my list. Maybe E1 is a little ahead.

Doom II is good for all the added features that mappers can make use of, but I honestly don't like the game itself that much. I never cared for Final Doom, really. Not sure why, but it just didn't do anything for me, though it did have its moments. Doom 3 was the most disappointing gaming experience I've ever had. Nothing against the people who liked it.

ok just one last thing...episode 1 has always been nice in my opinion, good atmosphere and stuff but not the creepiest or difficult or anything...but i just played a bit of KDIZD and it is AMAZING!!! :D

I liked DOOM2 for the hellish levels at the end, and DOOM1 E1 and E4. E1 was too easy, but I liked the gameplay, and I don't really think E3 portrays hell very well, otherwise I'd replace E4 with it. I like E4 because of the detail and, in E4M1, the use of teleporters. I personally like a lot of teleporting, since that's how the whole invasion started anyway, and they fit in in hellish AND techno maps.

I think DOOM3 shamed the name DOOM and should be ostracized from all DOOM conversation, but that's just me...

RightField said:

Episode 2 by far. Best atmosphere and music.

Completely agreed. I always get major nostalgia while replaying this episode. Definitely my favourite.

Well, looks like someone has necroposted my thread!

yeah i know i haven't been on here for a long time, doom isn't really my top interest anymore, especially since i have so little time nowadays...

so anyways i'm preparing to make up some more doom levels soon, but i'm gonna see if i can just keep it for fun this time instead of gettin as obsessed about it as i did last time; just make up individual levels for fun with no care of other people's opinions :P

and i still like episode 2 better, episode 4 had some great levels like 1, 2 and 8 but the other one's weren't so great...

Episode 1 will always be a set of quality maps. The only thing it lacks is hard difficulty compared to todays standards. Everything else about it is absolutely perfect.

Trilinear said:

Completely agreed. I always get major nostalgia while replaying this episode. Definitely my favourite.

Agreed. Episode 2 and Episode 4 are my favorites. 1 owns too, but I play it WAY too much.

I like Doom1 and Doom3 equally. Doom1 for being the first, Doom3 for reusing the then 11 year old brand.

I love them all but for some reason I have a special feeling for Master Levels for DOOM II.

i always really liked episode 2, even though there is some ugly/random texturing here and there. the music and ambience i agree with.
also, this episode is the most fun to speedrun, imo.

Kaiser said:

Doom64. Even though its not on the list.

Oooh I forgot about that. Doom64 is REALLY good too.

E1, E4, and DOOM II. DOOM II is good for mapmaking, the last few levels were good, and the new monsters add more of a challenge. DOOM E1 has just AWESOME maps, and E4 deserved to replace E3. E4 had more detail and felt more hellish than E3, which was basically (in my opinion) a bunch of pentagrams stapled together.