Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgentOrange

What is everyone's favorite installment of DOOM?

DEICE. Way better than that Microsoft Visual C++ examples-derived 'directx app installer' Doom95 used. Best installment. Also better than that lame "ha ha let's put a doom screenshot on the background" Installshield installer from the collector's edition.

leileilol said:

DEICE. Way better than that Microsoft Visual C++ examples-derived 'directx app installer' Doom95 used. Best installment. Also better than that lame "ha ha let's put a doom screenshot on the background" Installshield installer from the collector's edition.

Not installers, INSTALLMENTS. Like DOOM1 Episode 1, or DOOM 2.

CGC002 said:

Not installers, INSTALLMENTS. Like DOOM1 Episode 1, or DOOM 2.

That was... kind of the joke. Welcome to Doomworld humor.

E2 for the best cross of everything I like in maps (even if not being the best in any individual way), E3 for the vision (even if it didn't translate to maps very well), E4 for the most well-rounded maps (even if they're incredibly incosistent overall), Doom2 for a few select favorites (map11, map14, map17, map19, map26, map29) and editing capabilities; pass on TNT, Plutonia, and E1 (they had their moments, but too few and far between).

E1 has the highest replay value for me. E2 is pretty good and there's some fun in E4 as well, but E1 still wins. I never cared much for E3 (but it's still Doom so it doesn't suck) and there's nothing too memorable in any of the main groupings of levels of Doom 2. I didn't get Final Doom until relatively recently so I can't say anything one way or the other about Evilution or Plutonia.

leileilol said:
DEICE. Way better than that Microsoft Visual C++ examples-derived 'directx app installer' Doom95 used. Best installment.

No way, DeICE is only second best. The best is copying the WADs directly off the Collector's Edition CD-ROM...

Doom 2 kicks ass. I love the levels. Its actually Doom 1 that gets boring for me after a while, but I still think its a classic.

E1, however easy and simple, is one which will never lose its charm. Always gives me nice feeling of nostalgia. E2 has great gameplay and an interesting atmosphere. I always thought the depiction of hell in E3 was a little strange, and had too many tech textures in some of the levels. (And Limbo is waaay too red.) E4 has great levels which feel generally very refined, but I think that the levels aren't distinct enough. Doom II is pretty fun, but isn't my favorite. TNT was actually very good in my opinion. There were a number of new textures that were generally well used, and I like long levels, which TNT is full of. Plutonia is also pretty fun, especially for anybody up for a challenge. The levels tend to be smaller than those in TNT, but are a lot more confusing. Unfortunately, I tend to get tired of Plutonia's levels after a while, particularly that "oh, another bunch of revenants" kind of feeling.

I guess my favorite would be between E2 and TNT.

Of the choices Doom II but my favorate is probably Doom 64 (although I never played Doom 3 cause my computer sucks)

Sometimes I still like doing a run-thru of the original doom from e1m1 thru e1m8.

The rest of my doom time is spent on wads that require plutonia/tnt

hawklord said:
The rest of my doom time is spent on wads that require plutonia/tnt

Given how many of these there are, you must be replaying them a quite a lot!

My favorite installments are Plutonia for a change, and if I were to say Ultimate Doom, just because of Inferno and the 4th episode.

Plutonia:
Level 31 (Cyber Den)- Nice Cyberdemon massacre station, loved abusing the Hell Knights when I let out one of the 4 cybs.
Level 30- Nice hell theme, though the music felt out of place...

Ultimate Doom:
E3M1 - This level really got me interrested into those retard tomatoes, but yet again, abuse of monsters were at best.
E4M9 - A change of E3M1, wanted to fight the Cyberdemon though as soon as you step onto the platform the walls go dow really fast and already being shot at from the Cyb.

Mithral_Demon said:

E4M9 - A change of E3M1, wanted to fight the Cyberdemon though as soon as you step onto the platform the walls go dow really fast and already being shot at from the Cyb.

Huh? Don't you mean E3M9?

1. DoomII(fav. maps - Refueling Base, Nirvana)
2. DoomI(Episode 1, Episode 3, Episode 2)
3. Doom Master Levels(can't point out a specific map)

I don't like FinalDoom at all.

E1. Predictable. TNT comes second. Really like that megawad. Some of the Master Levels also were class, which I originally played on PSX iirc.
I ended up building a personal megawad containing all the Master Levels with other custom levels considered classics.
E4 too come to think of it. It took Doom to a whole new level in terms of difficulty and levels and textures.

Personally, I like the PS1 version of Doom the most, as the controls for that game for perfect, and have never been beaten by any console FPS. I cant even get a really good PC gamepad to simulate it anywhere near. Not only that, but, the music and sound effects were brilliant, and I loved the level designs. I remember finally getting my hands on the Doom Collector Edition, and being dissapointed in the original versions, since the detail and atmosphere of a lot of the levels seemed lower. However some levels were so different (Cloning Vats is the biggest I can think of.)

I didn't approve of some of the really cool levels from Doom 2 being removed, nor did I like the Spider Mastermind being made into a final boss without any enhancements. Infact, on UV, theres two, and they just kill and weaken each other. Redemption Denied really was a cool level to me though, but its execution was bad. The other exclusive levels were great, I thought Threshold of Pain and Twilight Descends were brilliant finishers to the Doom part of the game. The secret level accessed from Twilight Descends, The Marshs, was quite a scary level, especailly as the first time I got there, I rn out straight into the cyber. As such, the second time, when I pushed the switch then turned around to be face to butt with a cyber, I progressed outside very very carefully, and dodged all the monsters out there to not trigger him :p. The "sea of twitchers" was also a nice touch.

At the risk of making my post tl;dr, I'll give my opinions on the ones on the actual list.

Episode 1: Knee Deep in the Dead
Easy as pie, and fun as hell to play too. The level design was great, and I loved it how the biggest monster was a Demon, with a Rocket Launcher as your biggest gun. I always tend to save it for the Barons, yet kill them with bullets/shells in the PC version. PS1 Doom had a better Phobos Anomaly, and with the Barons having the coolest monster sounds in the game (I jump every time I turn a corner and hear their new scream) the fight was better in that regard, and the ending wasn't silly. I know the ending of the PC version was to get you to buy the full version, but, it still annoys me to no end. My favourite levels would be Nuclear Plant/Plant, Military Base (Especially the PSX version: All the trapped guys with the barrels!) and Phobos Anomaly

Episode 2: The Shores of Hell
It took me a while to realise the "Hell is taking over" thing, but before I did, I saw almost everything as hell levels. You got a new weapon, and the rest of the Doom monsters were introduced (I hate Lost Souls) The levels were all really fun too. I loved it how there was a Deimos Lab and Anomaly to match Phobos Lab and Anomaly, and the final level was sheer brilliance (Its even better once you realise that after each level the tower gets built more). I didn't like the secret level though, for a "fortress of mystery" it sure had me wondering where the rest of the level was. My favourites were Containment Area, Spawning Vats and Tower of Babel, although, I liked all the E2 levels except the secret one in some way.

Episode 3: Inferno
Hell Keep is the worst opening level of anything ever imho. Its easy to see why they scrapped it for the new one in the PS1 version. I rememvber the awesome ending to Episode 2, then being horribly dissapointed by the opening level. Slough of Despair is also pretty generic, not to mention difficult. I do love the hand design though, and the start is a bit hectic with the rock maze with monsters after you. Pandemonium is where the real episode starts though to me. After that, its great. I don't agree with the several sneaky uses of human tech (I think I saw a UAC tech door in one!) nor do I like the secret level (The idea of it great, but like I said, E3M1 is very ugly and bland.) Erebus and Limbo are great levels, and I still enjoy playing them from time to time. Dis was terrible though, especially with a BFG. (Which was given way to early for that matter, before the Chainsaw!)
Pandemonium, Erebus and Limbo win for best levels.

Episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed
My god this episode is hard! But oh so good. Probably the best level design out of all of the classic Doom games/episodes. But the level order seems t be messed up, as Unruly Evil is easier than Hell Beneath, and Perfect Hatred is a very aptly named level: You'll be hating the level every time you play it. Sever the Wicked was brilliant too, starting out in the open up high, under fire from all sides. The one where you start out in a small rocky area, then go under the bowels of a castle was pretty great too. The secret level was pretty good, but the final area fit the level name: I was afraid something huge would pop up in the last area, but no. I doubt I will ever beat the "Wonderful Doom" remake of Episode 4, as the difficulty increased for this episode too, and as such, I cant beat the first level with an acceptable amount of ammo and health. I love all the levels in it, but Sever The Wicked is the best of them all

Doom 2
The first Doom I actually played, I remember playing with God Mode at a friends house and never getting past The Gantlet. Then I bought a Doom 2 strategy guide and beat it with god mode on. Ten+ years later I got my own copy via the Collectors Edition. The levels in Doom 2 are generally not that fantastic in design and appearance, but the gameplay is so much better in general. From the crazy Tricks and Traps, to the over-the-top Refueling Base (The dark room with 9000 zombies is madness) to Suburbs with the swarm that comes out of nowhere, I never thought I could beat the game normally. The new monsters are all evil and very lethal, except the Hell Knight, and Chaingunners are always the primary target due to bullet weapons being more lethal than anything else (Unless theres a Vile about..) My most feared level was always Industrial Zone, as its just..huge, collosal even. I always remember thinking it was the perfect level to have the secret level access on. The Chasm was another great level come to think of it, if very frustrating. I alway think of The Citadel as the last city level though, for some reason.

TNT Evilution
I love this episode. While I agree that the level design isn't always consistent, but I had a lot of fun getting through them. The Wormhole level is both great ad fail, since as far as I'm concerned, the level exit being opened so quickly is a bug. I'm sure that in the PS1 version of Final Doom, you had to go through the mirror part before it opened. The "ambience" was cool to me, it was essentially the sound of the portal to me, since the sound came from the warp pillars. It also has the best music track from any Doom level. It's a pity I can never find any thing like the Doom 1 and 2 MP2s for TNT's new music.Other levels that come to mind, are Crater (For the really cool hidden part with the huge slimefalls, looked really amazing on PS1 Final Doom), Map15 (Dead Zone was it?) for the cool outdoor space outpost theme thing, Map30 for being extremely confusing (even with the bug fixed), Habitat for those crazy pipes full of zombies and Last Call for being a full blown level with great puzzles, with a Baphomet showdown to top it all of.

Plutonia
Very hard, and very...green. Some of the levels have been sheer murder, and I cant get past level 11 ** Thats all I really have to say on it actually, since I havent beaten it.

Doom 3
Never played it, since this computer cant even run Knee Deep in ZDoom or Ultimate Simplicity at more than a frame every ten seconds.

My god that post is long.

Episode 1 - played on an Amiga with the view reduced to the size of a postcard or smaller. That's the price you paid for using C2P conversion - but it was still fun.

The classic few episodes of Ultimate doom are a lot of fun, but are to easy. Doom II's great - but I'd have to select the two final doom wads as my favorites. They both provided me with a good combination of challenge and fun - and while Doom II may round off as the best overall doom wad for me, I'd go with the finals if I had to pick a favorite.

EANB said:

Episode 4 has the best detail methinks, but I think I will always love Episode 1. My thoughts about episode 2 and 3 playing it after years of only E1 were "man these are ugly!". In paticular that room that combined every startan...ugh

I like that room.

For me fave doom installments would be episode 1, 2 and 3, doom2, episode 4 of ultimate doom,in that order. And that's the order I played them.

I spent most of my time playing Doom shareware so I've played episode 1 the most. As a result it is my favourite without competition. I find all the maps of every episode and Doom (although I haven't played 3) to be great and I enjoy them all, but episode 1 is one I can replay endlessly and always enjoy, even though I still don't know everything about it and am terrible at it. :D