Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gabrimcr

New monsters

You'll need to use some graphic program like Paint (shudder) or Photoshop to make your sprites, make or collect sounds, put them both in the game with XWE, and create a DECORATE lump that defines your monster.
More on DECORATE can be found at the zDoom wiki.

I'm a newbie in this kind of things, so..
-How many sprite I have to do for every monster?
-From what angulation?
-What is XWE and how i can use it?

Thank you

P.S. sorry for the grammar errors, I'm italian!

You'll need around 50 or 60 sprites, depending on how elaborate you want the attack/death to be.
As for angles, you'll need 5 rotations for each sprite, but only in one direction, as doom mirrors automatically.
XWE is nifty little program for placing new lumps into wads, and you can get help and download it here, as well as the XWE forums right here.

well, if you're the Do it yourself kind of person, yomoneyboat's advice could be useful. however, if you want to get to know how to use decorate and see some example monsters (that you can use as your own as well) i would look here also look here .

if you want to make your own monsters, i'd start by going to the ZDoom Wiki also by looking more specifically about how to make monsters using decorate

Making your own monsters is tough stuff. I really wouldn't reccomend it. I suggest you just use the ones that are already out there.

yomoneyboat said:

as doom mirrors automatically

But you can make more. Notice how the Baron of Hell has all 8 rotations for every action apart from death (obviously).

Gabrimcr said:

and somone know what kind of programme can i use to draw sprites?

You can always modify original sprites (just look at the Beastiary), and MS Paint will suffice AS A BASIC, BASIC, BASIC editor. (use this as a last resort)

paint is actually not a bad editor. i have mastered using it. i made these sprites using only paint.

Janitor said:

paint is actually not a bad editor. i have mastered using it. i made these sprites using only paint.

That's pretty nice. All I've managed with Paint is a bunch of lines.

I use mspaint a lot but I could never get anything that good. Most of what I can handle is bright, cartoony-looking pixel art.

I recommend you to start creating (editing) monsters with dehacked, without new sprites. You can have a lot of fun creating creatures for you to play and using them on your own maps for personal use.

Also skins.wad has a bunch of sprites you could use instead of drawin up your own pics...like right now i'm playin around with Decorate and makin up some new monsters, so far i have made a Beast from the weredragon skin (not fully complete yet, working on a stream of flame it will shoot from its mouth), a helicopter that sorta sucks (still learnin all the effects of decorate, this one was my first one...and the graphics were from Twilight.wad), and a fat marine (probably for use as an allie, maybe in my wads i'll make a fat marine sidekick...)

but yeah its better to work with DeHacked first so you can see what values the sprites have, how they work and how to work with the frames, and sprites usually have 8 rotations, forward, back, left, right, and ones in between, but you can use the right side sprite pics for the left ones also, like A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8 are what you put on the end for the first frame and different rotations, and if you put A1, A2A8, A3A7, A4A6, and A5, it will take the same pic as A2 and flip it for the use of A8...you'll see on xwe sprite names are like PlayA1, PossA1, etc

I do alot of MS paint drawing. All my imp sketches at the freedoom subforum were pure MS paint material.

Janitor said:

It's nice, the only thing I dont like is the overall angle is pretty.. off. You look like you'd be shooting an imp that's either on your far left or something that's like 6 inches away from you. I hate making weapon sprites because if the angle is off, you can't fix it easily. I guess that's why id's spriters stuck with centered weapons.

Gabrimcr said:

and how i can insert my monsters in a map created with doombuilder?

if you have a wad with its own new monster (such as one from the realm667 beastiary with DECORATE, SNDINFO, and the sprites), merge it into your data wad / iwad in XWE in the file menu and in doombuider, it will be in the DECORATE category...and if you have more than one monster, make sure all the DECORATE info is in one file, and same with SNDINFO

JohnnyRancid said:

I do alot of MS paint drawing. All my imp sketches at the freedoom subforum were pure MS paint material.

It's nice, the only thing I dont like is the overall angle is pretty.. off. You look like you'd be shooting an imp that's either on your far left or something that's like 6 inches away from you. I hate making weapon sprites because if the angle is off, you can't fix it easily. I guess that's why id's spriters stuck with centered weapons.

heh, this is the original. the final version is corrected. and it wont be viewable until i release my mod...

yomoneyboat said:

You can always modify original sprites (just look at the Beastiary), and MS Paint will suffice AS A BASIC, BASIC, BASIC editor. (use this as a last resort)

You can make some beautiful sprites with paint, man. Scuba Steve has made some pretty nice sprites with it.

JohnnyRancid said:

I guess that's why id's spriters stuck with centered weapons.

Considering that Quake had centered weapons too, that's hardly the case. In the old days, you actually used the weapons for aiming, not some silly cross-hair. (Yeah, I know Quake had a cross-hair)

i thought the original sprites were actually photos of toy guns

Some where... not all. Chainsaw was a real chainsaw, pistol was a real handgun IIRC, and shotgun was a toy gun. The fist, well obviously was Kevin Cloud's fist (I think it was him). The rest are all made from scratch I believe.