Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Old videogames

I like the old videogames (doom, dune II, etc), so i wonder, besides Doom, Heretic, Hexen, ROTT, Strife and Duke Nukem, which old (I mean sprite-based) FPS can be played on modern day pc?

Lorenzo

Outlaws. It's a LucasArts FPS, one of the few Westerns in FPS history.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Chasm the Rift

^ Not a sprite-based game

Captain Red said:

I really wish there was a source port for it,

hard to have good source ports for closed sourced game code.

Sorry, didn't realize that mentioning that site would cause a hell thread split and censorship, wouldn't have done it otherwise. I do realize that Blood being on there doesn't make it at all legal to download, it just means that Monolith hasn't told them to take it down. Besides, it's such a fantastic game, just buy it. Original point though, Blood is a fantastic game, just takes forever to get it to run under XP, and still it suffers from severe slow down. Anyways, bulk of original post continues.

Dark Forces has been mentioned, but it should be repeated. Corridor 7 I always enjoyed actually, and Cyclones as well, but I'm not sure if they can really run on XP, even with dos box. Isle of the Dead was always fun too, but I tried to run it on XP, and it ran way too fast to actually control, and there was no sound. I have played the various Catacombs games (Catacombs 3D, Curse of the Catacombs, and Return to the Catacombs) on XP, they've always been classics to me, although rather simple. That's pretty much it for sprite based FPS's aside from the ones already mentioned though. There was the one, with the Egyptian theme, but I never much cared for it.

To get old DOS games running under XP, you may want to check out VDMSound as well. I'm using it to play Blood, as well as running some old DOS tools.

VDM sound is a very handy tool, but to play Blood and The 7th Guest I had to use some other programs as well. It'd be nice if windows maintained some native backwards compatability for dos games aside from their current format for "run under windows 95/98/nt/2000" which doesn't really work at all. I'm really glad Doom still has the community (and GPL and source code) to make source ports.

....why not just use DOSBox, it's not like it can't run blood and 7th guest! No more unstable risky vdm fiddling.

Seriously it's 2007 and I STILL find myself facepalming when someone suggests VDMSound. ugh

Wikipedia mentions that vdmsound is faster.
About blood, the shareware version can be download from
http://blood.lith.com/
That's the official site.
ZBLOOD is blood ported to zdoom.Wp mentions " Zblood has been considered as a "watered down" version of Blood, due to its easy difficulty."

VDMSound is faster depending on the game you are running and how powerful your computer is. DOSBox is a bit of a system hog, so you need atleast 2ghz to run most games smoothly. Before I upgraded, I could never run games like Blood or Duke Nukem 3D in DOXBox, but I could with VDMSound.

For ultimate compatibility, however, DOSBox is recommended. VDMSound cannot fix bugs and compatibility issues with older games, it's just a sound emulator.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Mechwarrior 2, I'd really suggest you try it out (needs dos box though...). I grew up with that game. I loved customizing the mechs, taking some of the really shitty ones that nobody ever used (i.e. the rifleman, which my dad hated because it became completely defenseless once both of it's arms were destroyed) and then turning them into deadly killing machines.

Craigs said:

(i.e. the rifleman, which my dad hated because it became completely defenseless once both of it's arms were destroyed) and then turning them into deadly killing machines.

The Rifleman IIC was great. Four large pulse lasers and enough heat sinks to fire them almost constantly (plus a good amount of armor). The biggest problem was that it was slow (though the arm thing was an issue too). It certainly beat stuff like the Mad Dog or Hellbringer that were underarmored and overheated like crazy, or the Summoner which was underarmored and had crap weapons.

Snarboo said:

VDMSound is faster

you can't run vdmsound on linux or mac

you also can't use good refresh rates on vdmsound

You can find games like Blood on ebay. I bought a brand new copy of Blood on there some time back. Still had the original wrapping, manual, the whole bit. I bid something like $10.00 for it.

Speaking of Blood, there are a lot of people including myself that still have a hard time understanding just why Atari has not released the source code for the game. Apparently they don't see what that could actually do for them in terms of being able to reintroduce a classic masterpiece to a whole new generation. There's bound to be somebody out there with the connections to get this done. It's way overdue.

Dr. Zin said:

The Rifleman IIC was great. Four large pulse lasers and enough heat sinks to fire them almost constantly (plus a good amount of armor). The biggest problem was that it was slow (though the arm thing was an issue too). It certainly beat stuff like the Mad Dog or Hellbringer that were underarmored and overheated like crazy, or the Summoner which was underarmored and had crap weapons.

Yeah, but unlike most of the other mechs which had at least one weapon mounted on the chest, shoulder, or some other place that couldn't be blown off, all of the Rifleman's weapons were located on the arms, which were pretty big targets, and could be blown off with ease. All it took were a couple of well placed shots to the arms and the most harm you'd be able to do to the enemy is by running into them.

Marco said:

Speaking of Blood, there are a lot of people including myself that still have a hard time understanding just why Atari has not released the source code for the game. Apparently they don't see what that could actually do for them in terms of being able to reintroduce a classic masterpiece to a whole new generation. There's bound to be somebody out there with the connections to get this done. It's way overdue.

Agreed. I REALLY wanna play it, but I don't see much point getting a game that I wouldn't really be able to run. (I don't really understand how to use DOSBox or anything like that, so I would really, really appreciate a Source Port for it).

Anyway, with the whole Mechwarrior issue, I loved Mechwarrior 3 for all the reasons mentioned above, but Mechwarrior 3 just because I couldn't get used to the graphics of Mechwarrior 2. Maybe it was just my settings, but I can't really play a game where the landscape is completely and utterly flat aside from maybe a few stray buildings.

But with Mechwarrior 3, I configured a Sunder to hold just machine-guns, and man it was DEADLY. Just aiming at the leg and firing two or three times was enough to blow it off... and I stripped a Firefly of all armour or equipment and weapons, apart from MASC. Putting it to the highest speed possible and using MASC, I think I managed between 250 and 300kph.

Marco said:

I believe the true master source code was lost, if I'm not mistaken, there may be bits and odds but nothing solid.

I've never been able to get dosbox to run any game on my computer. Not that it runs them poorly, but they don't run at all. If you want to play build engine games on XP I would recommend this link.

http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

It gives instructions and links as to how you can play Duke 3d, shadow warrior, and blood on XP. I've never had any problems with the original Blood using these instructions, however the Plasma Pack levels have some slow down issues. I also used information from that site to get 7th Guest running. Duke 3D did have a nice GL based port released. It'd be nice to say the same for Blood. And hell, I wouldn't mind giving Shadow Warrior another play through. Great level design, enemy design, and weapons, not a bad game at all.

Jello said:

I've never been able to get dosbox to run any game on my computer. Not that it runs them poorly, but they don't run at all.

ur doin it rong

dosbox sucks at certain things, and excels at others.

for important applications and very tight brute-force assembly code (256b.com has these) the standard Virtual DOS Machine is best. For anything with sound, VDMSound is fine. DOSBOX is ok, yes, but it can't run real mode programs well at all.

leileilol said:

you can't run vdmsound on linux or mac

you also can't use good refresh rates on vdmsound

Dosbox can't even play ZZT for crying out loud

Still,VDMSound IS faster,and it's a pity it's no longer developed.

also, to REALLY answer you leilei: Real Linux nerds use DOSEMU anyway.

Csonicgo said:
Real Linux nerds use DOSEMU anyway.

Real Linux nerds aren't running on x86 hardware and therefore can't use DOSEMU at all ;-)

CODOR said:

Real Linux nerds aren't running on x86 hardware and therefore can't use DOSEMU at all ;-)

Plenty of HPC clusters use x86 (or the 64-bit extension), and if the people who deal with those don't qualify as real linux nerds, then I don't know who does.

I'm not defending Csonicgo, though. He's the archetypal linux "noob".

John Smith said:

ur doin it rong

That may be quite so good sir, however I followed all the instructions and it still wouldn't play anything. I may have missed something in the process though, however the instructions on the site I listed above does work for me, so I'll stick with what works instead of fumbling back through dos box.