Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nightmare imp

Doom 95, whats the matter ?

Hey, how is everyone doing ?

Well for no reason, i've been curious about Doom 95. Why does it suck so much? I dont use it anymore since I use advanced Doom ports and all. Please feed my curious mind.

Oh and does anyone know where I can download wads made for the use of Z Doom or Legacy ?

Thanks!

I don't have any serious qualms about doom95, I just dunno why you'd use it.

Doom95 is OK, but:
-no multiple PWAD support
-no option to start on the main menu
-limited options
-other stuff I can't remember...

Doom95 is OK, but:
-limited options

Oh yeah, those.

Is Doom 95 a free port or do you have to buy it with doom?
All my Doom games have Doom 95 I'm just curious if people with older versions can download it for free.

Also, Doom95 can't manage sound properly. You can set the soundFX volume to one click above total silence and the music volume to the max and STILL have soundfx that'll blow your speakers if you turn them up loud enough to hear the music.

The default resolution is always 300x200 making it look like you're looking through a small hole, the sound rate is always at 11,025 Hz instead of the usual 22,050 Hz, the sound pitch rate is much lower than it's meant to be heard, the lmp recorder/playback feature is shot, etc., etc.

By the way, where have you been all this time?

...the lmp recorder/playback feature is shot, etc., etc...

Do I have to say it again? The -record command line parameter will work. That's what I used to record the demos posted at my Doom Station. Try it, just once, you'll see I'm right.

[edit]Oh, and the playback feature is not shot. It will play demos, just so long as they're in the same folder as doom95.exe.[/edit]

Doom95 is OK, but:
-limited options

Oh yeah, those.

not to mention zero dehacked support and absolütely no.. well, her's the ZDoom list. Doom 95 can't do these

- Will work under Windows NT with sound.
- Free look (look up/down).
- High resoulutions.
- Translucency.
- A console.
- MOD and MIDI support.
- Better mouse support.
- Limited TCP/IP (actually UDP) networking.
- Quake-style key bindings.
- Jumping.
- Crosshairs.
- Walk over/under other things.
- Hexen-style map editing.
- Almost full BOOM support.

etc. etc.
Doom 95 was never meant to be anything more than a quick Win launcher for dumbasses who were used to the dos prompt.

as far as i know , Doom95 had transparancy and high resolution (only to 640x480 :) ) and a crosshair for me , got it with The Ultimate Doom
(got a nice idea from the heretic demo too :) )
now i have bought (almost 3 - 4 years from now
Shadow Of The Serpent Riders , and before that , Hexen , it
used to blow my mind , the histories... my old 40 mhz machine gived it full detail without losing speed ,now,
with all these fast machines with very fast 3d-cards, quake 3 detail is usual , and Doom detail is forgotten...
Rest In Piece....... NOT DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM :)
DOOM Lives :)

as far as i know , Doom95 had transparancy *snip and a crosshair for me

I didn't have ANY of that.

neither did I... I think he's wrong, or lying, or both.

it had transparancy and a 640x480 max resolution for me ,maybie you all should download it from id , i know what i play and see

Doom95 Doesn't have a crosshair or and translucency. (Even Doom.exe had transparency, dammit)

I got along with Doom95 for quite a while, but that's cos all I did was just play through the games with it. Then I found ZDoom.

it had transparancy and a 640x480 max resolution for me ,maybie you all should download it from id , i know what i play and see

we all have it. which is why we all want to know what your taking.

Not to mention you have to have your desktop at 256 colors to run it. Any higher and it gives you an error message. Or something like that.

Not to mention you have to have your desktop at 256 colors to run it. Any higher and it gives you an error message. Or something like that.

Eh? I've never run my mahcine any lower than 16-bit, and it ran fine on it.

doom95 and why it sucks

very poor port
has all the original bugs and then some
crashes more than original doom
bad sound and res
demo recording/play does not work
never upgraded
not even any bug fixes just additional bugs
runs slower than dos doom
has difficulty with pwads
visplane overflow bug was even worse in doom95

demo recording/play does not work

Works great for me.

It's never worked once for me.

Sephiroth do you get a message saying ~.lmp recorded the moment you try to record a demo? And there's nothing but shite there?

Well, let's see. What's good about Doom95?
You can play Doom using it! Anything else?
Uh, I'll get back to you on that one.

Seriously, it has many problems, including:
Multiple WADfile support isn't there.
No option to change from software to OpenGL or Direct3D.
Look up/down isn't present.
The sound pitch is a lot lower than it should be. (Although the Imps sound cool when they die.)
You don't go directly to the main menu, just to the level you chose a second earlier.
Demo recording might as well not exist, since when you attemp to record a demo, you can "record" for a second, and then it pops back to Doom95 with a message stating that "Demo has been recorded", or something like that. Either way the demo support is broken in half.
It's one the few source ports (if you can call Doom95 a source port) that's never been updated at all.

Heh doom95 sucks , its nothing more then a launcher with very limited fetures, why the hell whould i need a fucking launcher anyways, Start>Run will allways be the best..

Heh doom95 sucks

Damn straight! :)

its nothing more then a launcher with very limited features

Again, damn straight, SaGa! :)

why the hell whould i need a fucking launcher anyways, Start>Run will allways be the best..

Or maybe the MS-DOS prompt....

Will y'all fucking stop blaiming DOOM/DOOM95 for not having all those additional features that were added in the ports?

There are plenty of things to say against DOOM95 anyway. For start, it's for Windows.