Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

My new DM map

I'm working on a DM map called "Big Arch", a largish outdoor area for lots of players (10 maximum). It is for DOOM 2 and needs a Limit Removing Port. I haven't detailed it yet, not sure what I'm going to do with it (maybe a Chinese theme). Some feedback would be really appreciated.

Download link:
http://www.speedyshare.com/533652687.html

Screenshot:
http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/bigarch0.png

Ok, i tested this out with bots. it was pretty fun, but you might want to consider putting some ammo in there. it ran smoothly ( well i at least didnt have a problem navigating) but you may want to consider making the map a little larger.

yeah, could really do with some ammo along with some health and armour - also some hitscan weapons? i think the size is fine due to the vertical complexities, reminds me a little of an Onslaught map perhaps. and turning it into something like an oriental garden would definitely be cool.

Thanks guys for the comments.

I'm never sure whether to put ammo and health into DM maps. In standard DOOM deathmatch those items don't respawn after the first person picks them up, so it seems pointless to add any. In altdeath mode the weapons don't stay, and that can change how the map plays. What's the best way to handle that?

well in online games on modern ports the usual standard is for weapons to stay and items to not respawn for duels but for greater player numbers then items are almost always set to respawn (with the occasional exclusion of mega-powerups).

you could always flag your things for different difficulties.

When I make dm maps I sort of stick to a formula. Which is have each DM start on a weapon, usually an SSG. Then, depending on the type of level, a little or a lot of health... usually some kind of middle ground, with stimpacks providing most of the health with a medkit or two thrown in. Usually plenty of ammo except plasma/BFG cells. I use weapon stay and I playtest with -skill 5 for double ammo. And usually one green armor. Sometimes a map will get a soul sphere. Usually the larger maps get bigger powerups. I almost never put blue armor on my maps.

Oh, and I use item respawn.