Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spase

I can't run Doom with my big-ass mac

I have Windows XP running on my 24 inch iMac. ZDoom runs perfectly so I can play Doom with that, but I've recently come upon a delightful collection of demos that I want to watch, but since most of them were recorded on Doom version 1.9 I can't watch them on ZDoom. (of course) My problem is that I can't even get Doom2 version 1.666 to run. When I click the executable the start up script runs and the screen goes black (like I remember from 1994) but then it just shuts itself off. I suspect its turning off because of my huge display. (native resolution is 1920 X 1200)

Its possible that all I'm looking for is a command line parameter for window mode. -windowed isnt it, Im all out of ideas.

You can use DOSBox to run Doom2 in Windows XP, or use a Windows port that supports v1.9 demos, such as Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, or PrBoom-plus.

Chocolate Doom is probably the best bet. Also, If you have OSX Odamex runs on and plays MOST doom2.exe demos (there are some demos which cause desyncs, if you come across one of these please report!)

How do I run custom PWADS and LMPs on Chocolate Doom? The exe doesnt have a command line in the properties like doom2.exe does.

You can open a command line prompt (typing command or cmd in Window's run box) and go to the appropriate (Chocolate Doom) directory.

Prboom-plus has among other things pattern recognizition which makes it real easy to see demo's.
Window mode in the command line for chocolate doom and prboom(plus): -nofullscreen (and -fullscreen).
complevel 2 is doom v1.9 example:
glboom-plus -complevel 2 -iwad doom.wad -file uac_dead.wad -playdemo uac_dead
More demo's here.