Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Medicleous

Master Levels Question

Is there a way to merge the Master Levels of Doom 2 into a single wad file? I would like to be able to launch them from a single ZDoom executable. I realize that several of the levels use the same DOOM2 level, but that can be easily solved, right?

kristus said:

Yes... XWE, Slade, WinTex, Deepsea, WinZip, DoomEd4.2, etc

Is that the answer to both questions or just the second one? Sorry, I am new to this wad editing stuff. I am familiar with DeePsea and Wintex however. Winzip???? How the hell does WinZip relate? :P

You would have to stick them into the same wad with appropriate map names, and a simple MAPINFO lump could sort the music and sky graphics for each map. If there are any modified TEXTURE1 lumps or texture replacements (which I don't remember any), then that could get kinda tricky.

It's possible, but it'd require some work on the mapinfo, as some maps use the level07 special, also you should need to assign different level numbers. Still the maps are designed to be played from scratch, you could ruin the balance by doing this.

Damn, this sounds way too hard and involved for me. That sucks, well thanks for the info anyway. :( I just don't have the available time to learn how to do all this wad editing stuff.

Don't worry, it's really not worth the effort if you keep in mind that the wads were designed to be played individually. I know Doom-it allows to load various wads at once, but if that was the case they'd be placed in different level slots, or grouped in some kind. Also While some wads have no plot, others have it's own "story" (principally Kvernmo's and Dr Sleep's wads, but also Jim Flynn in some way), so merging all would ruin it.

Also as I pointed, all maps are designed to be played from pistol start, I think the gameplay balance is the strongest point of the set.

Medicleous said:
That sucks, well thanks for the info anyway.

If you want to play a multi-level megawad, there are many you can download from the idgames archive.

all maps are designed to be played from pistol start

I'm not sure that's true for all 21.  Supposedly, Kvernmo's levels were originally meant for his own megawad, therefore designed to fit the progression of the plot (maybe he made changes for better single-level play after he signed on to the project, but the readme file doesn't clearly say so).  Also see here where some of the authors state that they weren't told whether it would be a megawad or not.

IMHO there are a few things in the Master Levels that don't make any sense at all if you play every map from scratch, like at the end of CATWALK.WAD where you cross a one-way bridge to the exit area, then find a giant pile of weapons and ammo which is guarded by like 4 sergeants.

In any case, all the levels in the Masters set are playable from scratch, as practically any balanced level should be (at least if it's for the standard DOOM games).

I mean, just strapping them (or some of them) together won't really help their playability.

myk said:

If you want to play a multi-level megawad, there are many you can download from the idgames archive.

I have the following:

The Lost Episodes of Doom
Memento Mori I & II
Icarus: Alien Vanguard
Daedalus: Alien Defence
Eternal Doom III
Requiem
Hell Revealed I & II
Alien Vendetta

Each of which I have created a single executable for (patches n' all woohoo!), all that remains is Master Levels. But if they are meant to be played individually then I guess I'll use the drag n' drop method... By the way, are there any megawads that aren't in my list that should be? I'm gonna put these on a cd, so I've been looking for the best there is. Also, with the exception of Team TNT's megawads, I'm looking for megawads that have the same feeling and atmosphere of Doom/Doom 2.

Hasn't someone already done this? I got "xxxx.wad" off of xxxxxx quite a while ago, and it seems to contain all of the original levels (though I don't have a genuine Master Levels set to compare it with).

This raises a natural follow-up question - are the master levels freeware at this point, or is it illegal to put them up for download (as someone did, apparently)?

No, they are not freeware, and the file you downloaded is illegal. I've therefore obscured the info in your post - please don't give it again.