Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xtife

The State Of Map Editors

heyas

i feel that map editing for doom, is currently in the dumps
both of the top editors are no longer being maintained

doom builder is dead, and has major bugs
slade also seems to be nearing its death, as far as i know slayer stopped working on it

what will become of editing if neither one of these are updated anymore
WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

I don't know about any major bugs in Doom builder. Is there anything to add really? In doom builder i mean? Well yes there is, but nothing that you can't live without until Doom builder 2 is released (if it will be released). I don't know about other editors though.

lots of crashing and interface issues in DB

i thought doom builder 2 was a joke, like doomscript :)

I worked with a buggy WinDEU for years. Doom is worth it all in the end.

Major bugs and crashes? It works fine for me. And if it is so bad, I wonder why people are using it and why not someone took the open source code and fixed it. Note that the execution of the program is entirely subjective to the state of your operating system, any other software running on it and your hardware. If you cannot provide evidence that your system is not the cause, then please refrain from making such accusations. Thank you.

Now; Doom Builder 2 is not a joke. Here is a screenshot. Here is another. It is far from finished but it is already open source and stored in a public SVN on SourceForge.

Doom Builder bugs well not the latest one since I'm using that one it hasn't crashed alot, but sometimes it craps out on me when I want to go into 3d mode and it just closes and I'm staring at my nice kick ass standard windows xp wallpaper :p

Doesn't happen alot though apart from that no problems.

Da Spadger said:

But where's the grid size adjuster thingy?

Well as I meantioned it is far from finished, so yea theres a whole lot missing in the screenshots. But I just finished the grid setup recently, so have some more screenshots: moo, bla, heh

DB never crashed on my system, it's totally stabel for me. And... not only that it has a nice intuitive usability... Since (or allthough) I have decided to quit mapping in the near future I can say that I definitely will check out DB2. Thanks a lot, CodeImp, for this great freeware fun.

i stand corrected

i assumed it was common knowledge that DB2 was vaporware
but im impressed :) i hope there will be a release in the coming months

as for DB in its current state, i do get alot of crashes
all seem to be random, aside from that i have issues with the textures window showing all custom textures as being totally corrupt

as many others have complained about crashes, i also assumed that these were bugs in doom builder. but of course its possible that this is an issue on my end. though i never posted about since i knew for awhile that DB was not being worked on

i can no longer work on any of my projects at this point with DB the way it is for me, so i eagerly await DB2. someone did produce some patches from source, but they still suffered from alot of the same bugs

Heh, ever since I started using DB I have been pleased! I used DeeP and DeepSea for years, then when I found DB I never turned back. It has also never crashed on me yet, and the maps compile just fine! :)
No complaints here!

Nice work CodeImp! Once Doom Builder 2 is released I think the fate of all other DOOM editors is almost sealed due to the fact that Doom Builder2 is being written in C++ (completely, rather than C++/VB hand-off) and is open source. From then on, I expect every future editor will be based on it. So make it good CodeImp ;)

Xtife said:

what will become of editing if neither one of these are updated anymore

WadAuthor hasn't been updated in god knows how many years, the homepage has disappeared of the face of the internet and the original developer is dead. Yet I'm still using it. I'm sure the same applies for many other editing utilities. Therefore, it stands to reason that people would still use DoomBuilder and SLADE even if there came a point where they weren't updated anymore. Which (at least for DoomBuilder) isn't the case anyway.

DooMAD said:

WadAuthor hasn't been updated in god knows how many years, the homepage has disappeared of the face of the internet and the original developer is dead. Yet I'm still using it. I'm sure the same applies for many other editing utilities. Therefore, it stands to reason that people would still use DoomBuilder and SLADE even if there came a point where they weren't updated anymore. Which (at least for DoomBuilder) isn't the case anyway.

SLADE needs someone to help it out, I'm not a programmer or a SLADE user but some of you are, if you like it try and save it (If I could I would...)! Doom editors are an important tool to us mappers, maybe people should start stepping to the plate and save them!

DooMAD said:

WadAuthor hasn't been updated in god knows how many years, the homepage has disappeared of the face of the internet and the original developer is dead. Yet I'm still using it.

Me too. Sector-based editing seems to be an obvious choice- two clicks versus 5 or 6 or 7 clicks.

I have no problem running or using DB, and I think it's an exceptional program. The only thing that bothers me though is that sometimes I'll create a couple sectors, and that when I go back to them, they're all screwed up. Not like something happened imbetween creating them and scrolling my cursor over them, but if I make a room and a few sectors within that room, assuming all the sectors are enclosed, there will sometimes be issues with what linedefs are part of which sector. This is annoying, but is no problem because the issue is easily remedied by either using Cntrl+D to create a sector solely on the linedef in question, re-drawing over either the enclosed sector, or the surrounding sector. Usually it's an easy choice because even when there's issues like that, you program doesn't cease to be logical and easy to use.

[EDIT]: Sheesh I wrote a damn essay about this! Completely off topic!

Uh, DoomBuilder 2 is written in C#.

Well it wasn't going to be when I heard about it :P I'm not fused if its C++ or C#, both are "real" languages.

Still using DeepSea after all these years here. I've not updated once since I bought it, which has been like seven years ago.
Buggy? Somewhat. But like any editor, if you know what you can and can't do, then it doesn't matter. Save often, cry less.

heyas

i feel that the video game, doom, is currently in the dumps
none of the dwango servers are supported anymore and the newest versions are no longer being patched

doom is dead, and has major bugs
doom 2 also seems to be nearing its death, as far as i know id software stopped working on it 13 years ago

what will become of this game if nothing is updated anymore
WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

if the software doesnt have bugs that make it or parts of it unusable
then theres no reason of course

im pointing out that DB has those kinds of problems
a total rewrite in C# will fix them :)

Might be unicode or 64 bit or something that DB1 was not designed for (its old visual basic crap anyway). I know it won't work on japanese machines because of this.

i have not used db in a long time
i recently formated, so what ever issues may be gone now

There was a version that had critical bugs (v1.67, I think) but CodeImp released a fixed one, and that was all quite a while back.

Xtife said:
this is with the current version

Perhaps it is/was, but it was you who said you hadn't used Doom builder in a long (undefined) time, and in any case it wouldn't be the first time someone thought they had updated when they really hadn't (an example).

i do remember 1.67
it was of course alot worse

using 1.68 now since i formated, there arnt any crashes so far
but there are still interface issues with custom textures

that alone makes it unusable for now until DB2 comes out

Doom Builder 2 is looking great already, nice work Codeimp, it is very much appreciated. Even better, you're doing it in a language I know, which means I can hack together my own extensions when it's done ;)