Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macro11_1

PrBoom to test for BooM?

So, I finally downloaded PRboom, and I want to test to see if my map is boom compatible, how would I go about doing this? :)

Thanks in advance.

Coldfusio said:
If you use the first, it will override some options of your config file.

Either choice will do that.

I've had a similar question for a while, so I'll use this thread for it:

If I'm making a Boom-compatible map, and it works perfectly in PrBoom -compat 9, is it guaranteed that it'll work in Boom, or is there a chance that some other bugs or issues will only show up in the Boom 2.02 engine?

See, I can't test this map in Boom directly. My monitor can't handle resolutions that low, so I'd have to play in a window that takes up a quarter of my already-somewhat-small screen. No thank you.

When using that compatibility level, the only clear difference is that PrBoom will handle more lines, allowing bigger levels. This should be a problem only if your levels are very huge or extremely detailed.

Also, there's PrBoom v2.02, which is a plain port of Boom to Windows. It has high resolution support, and will likely function properly on a newer system.

Alright, thanks for the link. *Downloads*

Do you know Boom's limits on lines, by any chance? I assumed that Boom had already removed all the limits I could expect to hit.

Regarding prboom-plus -complevel 9 vs prboom 2.02 for testing, AFAIK the only problems you'll pick up using prboom 2.02 that you won't pick up with prboom-plus -complevel 9 are things that cause an immediate crash/program exit.

So I would suggest using prboom-plus -complevel 9 for most testing, but just try starting each map in prboom 2.02 to check that it doesn't bomb out at loading time. Unless you find you prefer 2.02 for whatever reason (note that it tends to have odd sound glitches at some resolutions, and the wipe effect can be painfully slow too).

Note that the current prboom-plus has quite a number of compatibility improvements over regular prboom, and so it replicates Boom behaviour with considerably greater precision - I don't know of any Boom demos that it fails to play back (and I have tested all that I know of, including everything at DSDA). See the changelog for specifics.

Creaphis said:

Alright, thanks for the link. *Downloads*

Do you know Boom's limits on lines, by any chance? I assumed that Boom had already removed all the limits I could expect to hit.

Not sure about the limits on lines, but I do know that there is a limit of 32768 segs in place in ordinary Boom. Any more segs than that will cause Boom to crash due to a segment violation. This is the reason why you can't play Community Chest 2 MAP32 on it (which is noted in the megawad's text file,) and the reason I had to remove the final section of MAP12 (which caused it to go over the segs limit) in the upcoming Community Chest 3.

Creaphis said:
Do you know Boom's limits on lines, by any chance?

In PrBoom (and other newer engines) the SEGS lump of a level can contain up to 65536 entries, instead of only 32768.