Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

New map completed - Lethe

Eh, I don't have plutonia, but it seems I can still play the wad, but I get a shit load of black textures. My main complaint is that there really isn't all that much health, and so you don't have a lot of room for mistakes. Just one hit from a cacodemon is enough to seriously jeopardize your chances of making it through the map alive. More health and maybe a few secret areas stocked with health and ammo to help you make it through the level would be nice.
The computers and terminals also seemed a little out of place to me, as the level struck me as more of a hellish themed map then a tech base.

It looks awesome but I'm just not digging the COMPSTA and COMPSPAN textures with the gothicDM looking stuff.

I quite like it (this is for the wad in the first link you posted, 'lethe', I guess the one with less health but liked it how it is). Looks excellent, fun hard gameplay with a good end. I did a sort of 'semi max kill' speed run demo for zdoom 2.1.7 (meaning I basically killed all the main monsters, but left a few that weren't much of a threat). Here is that demo:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7s1g8b

Here are 'bugs' I found:

*on the 1st eye switch where 4 shotgun men are meant to warp in, occasionally a cacodemon warps instead for some reason and remains stuck in the wall because its too big. Other times one or two of the shotgun guys will warp to the start area instead.

*a couple switch textures aren't aligned well/ can't easily tell its a switch..

*in zdoom at least, you can't go under bridges so that box of shells under the 2nd bridge was inaccessible

*at the very end of the level when you cross the bridge to win, you can actually fall off the side of it instead, and be trapped unless you use idclip. might try editing the linedefs to be unpassable (also maybe the end 2 platforms that hold the warping reverents could have the linedefs block monster so they never fall off or get stuck)

*you know that place where the most enemies spawned?- well the switch there opens that gate thing, but if you look at that gate area before you switch it, it's 'hall of mirrors'/ missing texture.

*before I knew the map well it took me like 20 minutes to find that door that first leads into the area with the 'frozen' arch vile on top- maybe just because the map is big and a first time player doesn't know to go that particular direction. Kinda hard to fix 'wtf are you supposed to do next' stuff like that, whatever.

Here is a small list of serious bugs still present, some hinted at by gggmork but I will be specific ...

1) Move thing # 588 ( teleport destination ) which is at sector 161 . The cacodemon gets stuck in the wall.

2) Where thing # 504 ( box of shells) is , the player can fall through the bridge floor and be stuck. ( sector 842 ). The reason for this is the distance between lines 9178 and 8911 is too great at 39 map units. Player radius is 16 ( width 32 ). i.e 7 map units too far apart.

3) There is a render error at lines 8912 and 9133 . To fix line 8912 the back side should reference sector 841 and the front side sector 842 . For line 9133 the back side should reference sector 842 and the front side sector 841. This error is noticeable in GL.

4)BRIDGE3 is not rendered on side 2 on line 9007 in glboom. This is easily fixed by deleting the unnecessary texture METAL on the lower.

hobomaster22 said:
run with this texture wad

That's pretty lame. I don't see much difference between this and offering a link to the IWAD. People need to have Plutonia themselves to play levels that use its resources.

myk said:

unnecessary whining

I don't really know what to say to this other there have been plenty of releases that have Plutonia textures already in the pwad. Who cares.

hobomaster22 said:
I don't really know what to say to this other there have been plenty of releases that have Plutonia textures already in the pwad.

Who cares what "other people" do? Do you use stuff from other wads when they don't give you permission to use it?

That's what you're doing right now.

If people don't have Plutonia it's up to them to get it, not for you to basically rip all of its assets for them.

Plutonia texture wad links removed.

hobomaster22: Being rude to a moderator when they raise a legitimate issue is not a good idea.

Deeforce, you can check more of his maps at his homesite. I didn't play them all but Genesis of Descent is impressive butDecadence impressed me more.
Lethe looks good and the chainsaw in the beginning promises interesting gameplay. But I was expecting ammo and health shortage and well there wasn't in this map. (I played the modified one)