1. 1. Are you a hunter?

• Small game only
    • I only use a bow
    • I hunt anything
    • I only fish
    • I kill bugs only
    • Greenpeace member / Treehugger

exp(x) said:

But is it necessary to rip off the fucking head from the body before posing for a portrait?

As I live in a very rural area I have, in my lifetime seen...christ, I couldn't even fathom how many "kill shots" I have seen. But I have never, ever seen one that involved a decapitated head. I would go so far as to say doing so is quite illegal at that considering the animal needs to be identified by the dnr before processing.

myk said:

I'll let you know when I kill something over them Internets...

Except is isn't about that, and if you had read the sentance after that you would understand.

Quast said:
Except is isn't about that, and if you had read the sentance after that you would understand.

I'm having trouble deleting from the context the fact that in one case of the analogy you play a game where you kill in a "virtual" manner and no one gets hurt except maybe emotionally, and in the other some animal is truly put out of its misery. That weakens the analogy for me.

Quast said:

As I live in a very rural area I have, in my lifetime seen...christ, I couldn't even fathom how many "kill shots" I have seen. But I have never, ever seen one that involved a decapitated head. I would go so far as to say doing so is quite illegal at that considering the animal needs to be identified by the dnr before processing.

Maybe it's an Oregon thing, but you wouldn't believe how many pictures I've seen with people holding or crouching behind a deer head. One picture I had involved a few people standing behind several heads lined up on the ground.

I'm not knowledgeable at all about hunting, but one thing I do know about deer is that the head is often the first thing removed before dressing the rest of the deer... (skinning, removing internal organs, etc.)

Dr. Zin said:

I get a kick out of people who, whilst eating commercially raised meat, deplore the practice of hunting. Because rasing animals in confinement and then shooting them through the head with a pneumatic bolt-gun is morally superior to shooting a free range animal in a fair chase manner with a rifle or shotgun.

While I do deplore hunting, I feel the same way about raising animals only to kill them and feed to the public. However, I do love eating meat and (hot) fast food, so I'm just an asshole.

Danarchy said:

Just don't step on a butterfly, or we're all doomed.

lolz, simpsons reference

I've never hunted, but I've always wanted to try (hmmm, that should be an optin as well). I live in Brooklyn, NY so nearest thing I have to wildlife are pigeons, rats, and squirrels.

Janitor said:

lolz, simpsons reference

Yeah, because The Simpsons taught Edward Lorenz everything he knows.

kristus said:

Would be a whole lot better if we stuck to keeping our own species in check, worrying less about the rampant elk population or whichever it may be they want to shoot at.

I'm all for human population control. Couples should not be allowed to have more than two kids. (Unless it's triplets or something uncommon and out of their control.) But that's not a likely scenario to become law in most of the western world.

Doom Marine said:

Too lazy to hunt, I just lie around wait for food to jump in my mouth.

Your mom still feeds you?

GGG said:
But that's not a likely scenario to become law in most of the western world.

That wouldn't be too relevant anyway, as the only parts of the Western world growing considerably are those of the 3rd world, plus Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.

Dr. Zin said:
He is an antlion.

Well he's still a a baby (larva), then... although a pretty vicious one!

Bloodshedder said:

I'm not knowledgeable at all about hunting, but one thing I do know about deer is that the head is often the first thing removed before dressing the rest of the deer... (skinning, removing internal organs, etc.)

Bullshit. I've field dressed deer myself and watched others do it, the head is not cut off. Not only is there no practical reason for it, the animal needs to be registered and id'd by the dnr. It's not often done, it's illegal plain and simple, in minnesota, indiana, oregon and every other state i guarantee.

From the indiana dnr:

The person who takes the deer must cause the delivery of the deer to an official deer check station within 48 hours of the kill for registration. For a complete listing, see pages 42 to 52 of this guide or go to wildlife.IN.gov. Before leaving the check station, you must affix the permanent seal to the carcass. The permanent seal must remain attached, until the carcass is placed in the custody of another person for processing or until the carcass has been processed and packaged. The deer head must remain attached to the carcass until the tag is attached and locked at the deer check station.

exp(x) said:

you wouldn't believe how many pictures I've seen with people holding or crouching behind a deer head. One picture I had involved a few people standing behind several heads lined up on the ground.

I'm not saying I don't belive you, I'm sure it happens. But I implore you to show me something such as this

Bloodshedder said:

No it's not. You put your deer tag in the deer's ear, call the # in and the tag must be attached when you take it to a taxidermist or a butcher.

Kristian Ronge said:

What if you happen to shoot a deer without ears?

Then you place the tag in the lip, cheek, tongue or ankle?

Quast said:

I've field dressed deer myself and watched others do it, the head is not cut off. Not only is there no practical reason for it, the animal needs to be registered and id'd by the dnr. It's not often done, it's illegal plain and simple, in minnesota, indiana, oregon and every other state i guarantee.

I see. By "dressing" I meant preparation for butchering, not field dressing. My dad has done it before - but he got the deer from another person. The only deer carcass I've seen wasn't taken by him. The head was probably the first thing to go, but I didn't actually watch him butcher the thing.

Quast said:

I'm not saying I don't belive you, I'm sure it happens. But I implore you to show me something such as this

Oh sure, I'll just violate customer confidentiality and risk losing my job so I can show someone on the internet a deer head.

Danarchy said:

Just don't step on a butterfly, or we're all doomed.

One of my favorite Ray Bradbury tales. Good reference.

Bloodshedder said:

I see. By "dressing" I meant preparation for butchering, not field dressing. My dad has done it before - but he got the deer from another person. The only deer carcass I've seen wasn't taken by him. The head was probably the first thing to go, but I didn't actually watch him butcher the thing.

Oh, yeah, in that context, yep, it's the head, then the legs are removed from the trunk. Some butchers will get the meat off the legs as well for extra sausage meat, most don't.

Quast said:

Bullshit. I've field dressed deer myself and watched others do it, the head is not cut off. Not only is there no practical reason for it, the animal needs to be registered and id'd by the dnr. It's not often done, it's illegal plain and simple, in minnesota, indiana, oregon and every other state i guarantee.

I've actually seen pictures like that on other sites I visit, but they are almost universally from Europeans (I think it is tradition there or something).

Nah I dont hunt. I never really wanted to get into it. I prefer to shoot things that want to fight me, not things that are scared of me.

I have a few friends who go hunting, but I've never been. I wouldn't mind doing it for once, but I need to read up on all the basics first.