Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomCup

How do I get good with a keyboard?

I usually play with a mouse and mouselook, but sometimes I like to play with the keyboard like I used to years ago. But I'm not as good.

Do you guys have any tips as to how to get as good with just the keyboard? Any better layouts?

The WASD layout is good, even if you're playing entirely using the keyboard. It's important to have strafe keys.

Other than that, just play a lot.

I use the standard keyboard configuration. Mouse only for st railgun. Any other way just downgrades my skills.

I say just play with the way that suits better for you.

Rofl, this reminds me of when I used keyboard only. My fingers would work so fast it was almost like I was typing. My friends would come over for a LAN game, and they'd always be like "how the fuck do you do that so fast?"

I'm still pretty proficient at it, but I can't NM speedrun E1 anymore. :(

You need to have a keyboard (or keyboard layout) that allows you to simultaneously press all the keys needed to circle strafe whilst running and firing, without your machine beeping at you for too many inputs. I think it's four or five keys at once. Provided you have that, then the only problem is taking the time to practice often. I've spent too long using a mouse, so I'm not much good with just the keyboard any more.

Keyboard layouts are quite subjective, so what works well for one person might be completely counter-intuitive for someone else. Just play using whatever layout you're most familiar with.