Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Digitbig

Infantry: A Tribute to Nuts

So, what did you think of Infantry?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. So, what did you think of Infantry?

• AWFUL!
    • Not the worst WAD ever
    • Ehh
    • Decent
    • Great

My first level made entirely from scratch, Infantry, has been uploaded to /idgames. I would love to hear your opinion, even though I have a feeling that everyone will hate it and make me feel like a disgrace to the Doom community.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15157
Note: At the time of this writing, the file is still being processed. The details will be up shortly.

Many people have started out mapping making these terrible, extremely simple maps. The only difference is that they haven't uploaded them to the archive and neither should you.

Also, if this is a tribute to Nuts, why does it only have 246 monsters and why is it shit easy?

I can see just from the file size that this is going to be shit on top of shit covered with shit placed into a pool of shit, then wrapped in shit and sprinkled with shit before being marinated with shit.

yomoneyboat said:

I can see just from the file size that this is going to be shit on top of shit covered with shit placed into a pool of shit, then wrapped in shit and sprinkled with shit before being marinated with shit.

Just the way you like it :)

yomoneyboat said:

Uh.....I take it it's shit then....great :P

Ok, let's just... let's look at this---

Ok, so I see what reminds me of the cyberdemon-filled Mock2 map, only smaller and...less memorable. At least with NUTS there was a sort of challenge, and it WAS beatable (if all you were after was to hit the exit switch)

NUTS.WAD, love it or hate it, has become a part of the DOOM community history. It won a Cacoward, for chrissakes! This... This map doesn't have the "magic" that Nuts had.

However, all this is, is a box, filled with monsters. Yeah, so was NUTS, but that isn't the point- The soul of NUTS just isn't here! the midi music, the pallete that nuts.wad had, the strategic placing of the monsters to maximise infighting... It's just not here. With Infantry, all I had to do was to run a certain direction, open the door, and let the cyberdemon rockets kill the boss.

I felt no sense of accomplishment as I had felt playing nuts.wad, and especially nuts3.wad (which is beatable, if you know where the secret teleporters are), and I honestly can say, This PWAD makes me sad.

Its more fun if you try to get max kills but still not that hard. And most people have a level editor so could just whip up something quite similar quickly themselves. At least there's no extreme slowdown like nuts.

Actually NUTS.wad didn't get a cacoward. A cacoward is given to "arguably" the best 10 WADs of the year. NUTS was featured as one of the ten INFAMOUS WADs, but that list included WADs from different years, and as such, isen't really a cacoward.

gggmork said:
And most people have a level editor so could just whip up something quite similar quickly themselves.

True, but since there's one on the archive it's much easier to download a 3 KB file than to place a couple of hundred monsters in a square map.

As long as everybody isn't uploading wads with so little work, I don't see the problem at all, especially in "1st attempts" and such. At least the guy made it, as simple and basic as it is, and there's nothing truly incorrect about it, such as bugs or using other people's work without permission.

People may generally not care about such humble wads, but if for any reason the author wants to archive it (for memory's sake, an attempt at humor, and whatnot), that's perfectly fine.

Thus my vote was for "Ehh".