Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

We're all going to be RICH

additup said:
Is that the case if I were to try to sell what I'd created, or is that also the case if I distribute it in any way at all (without seeking profit)?

That depends on the contents used, but any DOOM stuff (by id Software) can be used only for nonprofit purposes and only if the game it is taken from is required to run the addon, so it's not possible to make an IWAD (standalone wad) that contains any of their work.

Okay. Any idea what Scuba Steve was talking about when he said "There's nothing illegal about making a wad the iwad so it doesn't require the doom.wad file"? Did I misunderstand what he was saying (or is it more probable he simply wasn't aware that what he's describing is, in fact, illegal)?

additup said:
Any idea what Scuba Steve was talking about when he said "There's nothing illegal about making a wad the iwad so it doesn't require the doom.wad file"?

Making an IWAD isn't per se illegal, but it can't contain anything you don't have permission to use (in the way you're using it).

In the post above you said "I tried this" in reference to what Scuba Steve said. Did that attempt include or plan to include anything by id, or by anyone who wasn't giving usage permission under such conditions? If the answer is no, then what you were trying wasn't illegal. If yes, then it was.

Yes, it did. Thank you for clearing that up.

What seems odd to me is that intention doesn't matter at all; that the fact I don't intend to profit from the endeavor, only to increase playability for those who have never yet picked up Doom (my original plan was to have a zip that included everything necessary to click download, extract, and play), doesn't enter into the equation at all.

It's odd to me because Doom is thirteen years old. I guess I would hope that by this point id would have made the game freeware and just called it good. I didn't pay for my copy of Doom which I downloaded about two or three years back, and frankly I would consider anyone who paid (what does the readme say, I just checked, $40.00?!? what a joke) for Ultimate Doom after the year 2000 to be a fool.

additup said:

I didn't pay for my copy of Doom which I downloaded about two or three years back, and frankly I would consider anyone who paid (what does the readme say, I just checked, $40.00?!? what a joke) for Ultimate Doom after the year 2000 to be a fool.

Well I must be a fool then.

But money is for spending, and as long as what you are spending it on entertains you (and doesn't hurt or impede anyone else and doesn't break the law etc. etc.), then that's all that matters really.

additup said:

I didn't pay for my copy of Doom which I downloaded about two or three years back, and frankly I would consider anyone who paid (what does the readme say, I just checked, $40.00?!? what a joke) for Ultimate Doom after the year 2000 to be a fool.

Get the fuck out.

additup said:

Okay. Any idea what Scuba Steve was talking about when he said "There's nothing illegal about making a wad the iwad so it doesn't require the doom.wad file"? Did I misunderstand what he was saying (or is it more probable he simply wasn't aware that what he's describing is, in fact, illegal)?

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12885

Barista was able to run without needing Doom2. It was done by changig the header to be an iwad instead of a pwad. Barista has a few copyrighted elements in it, but it is mostle original work. If the author replaced every resource that is copyrighted, this wad would be completely legal to distribute or sell.

additup said:

Shit I am an fool.

additup said:

I bought Collector's Edition in 2000 for $19.95, so I guess I'm not a fool.

But wait! I already owned Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom (but not Final Doom)... does that make me a fool again?

additup said:
I didn't pay for my copy of Doom which I downloaded about two or three years back,

Thanks for the info, it will weigh against you on any of my moderating henceforth, and you'll have no mercy from my part if you trouble any other mods.

and frankly I would consider anyone who paid (what does the readme say, I just checked, $40.00?!? what a joke) for Ultimate Doom after the year 2000 to be a fool.

Do you also browse medieval manuscripts to find out the cost of plows and other farming tools? As for fools, I'd say those who state their illegal activities publicly rank way up there in the list of foolish persons.

Coldfusio said:

Hmmm, I only paid $10 for a copy of that at Walmart, and it came with a Doom 3 preview disc even.

DJShrimpy said:
I thought they stopped production of the longbox a while back?

As far as I know, someone selling used copies claimed that. Perhaps the statement was based on some truth in that id doesn't seem to be currently handing copies over to other publishers or distributors, and only selling it directly, as seen on their site.

myk said:

Thanks for the info, it will weigh against you on any of my moderating henceforth, and you'll have no mercy from my part if you trouble any other mods.

Hey, no problem, have fun being an asshole.

Jesus H Christmas

dutch devil said:

Shit I am an fool.

You're an.

Love your maps tho.

BoldEnglishman said:

But money is for spending, and as long as what you are spending it on entertains you (and doesn't hurt or impede anyone else and doesn't break the law etc. etc.), then that's all that matters really.

Quoted for truth.

additup said:

It seems getting you out of losers was my mistake. Fixed. Go post somewhere else.

additup said:

Actually, he is being nice to you considering that saying you acquired Doom as warez is a bannable offense here.

Dr. Zin said:
saying you acquired Doom as warez is a bannable offense here.

Not officially (the ban is on posting warez, which this guy already did on another thread, and depending on the situation, asking for warez, which might warrant anything between a ban and a warning message), but if people start claiming it, they're more or less encouraging or validating something the site has a policy against. It definitely is something that goes against the work of the mods, and once one's been warned, such actions (or acting like a jerk about them) become worse.

Getting back on track, I'm guessing that only a fool would pay for my levels, considering that they're available for free from idgames. But then again, there's a new one born every day.

You can always sell, lets say.. a pencil, and include "for free" a wad of yours with a txt that claims not to distribute it under any form, or but including the pencil too.

Something like this

Normal pencil, the package includes for free my DOOM wads, never seen before and only available with this pencil.

Or

Normal pencil, plus my DOOM wads included for free as a bonus.

I bet that was what they did with The Lost Episodes of DOOM, the cover art of the book says "Free disk included".

Vegeta said:
You can always sell, lets say.. a pencil, and include "for free" a wad of yours with a txt that claims not to distribute it under any form, or but including the pencil too.

That's not a "nonprofit" offering. The wad's an incentive that adds to the pencil deal, and thus part of the product being sold as far as that sale is concerned.

ReX said:
Getting back on track, I'm guessing that only a fool would pay for my levels, considering that they're available for free from idgames. But then again, there's a new one born every day.

A generous fool perhaps, capable of freely donating as an expression of appreciation. (Assuming he knew that your wads could also be obtained for free, that is.)

It's included in the price, because it's part of the offering, even if the seller only includes it as a "special offer". Like when they sell you shaving cream and say "25% free!" because the can is bigger than usual but costs the same as the smaller one. It's an attractive way of wording the discount, but they're just selling the cream at a lower price.

Also, in the case of Lost Episodes (or a pencil sold with a disk including a DOOM wad), they're making use of the DOOM trademark to sell their product.

yomoneyboat said:
What the hell is wrong with that BFG?

I'm guessing it fell in a pool of green slime earlier, and now it's squirting the stuff out, propelled by the energy ball that is stuck inside...

yomoneyboat said:

What the hell is wrong with that BFG?

That looks like the worlds most expensive squirt gun.

Judging by the wounds on the foreground baron in that picture, I'm guessing that the green splash is green baron blood, like the stuff that oozes out of them during their death animation.